Miscellaneous Rumbles

Got My New Jaguar Trem and Bridge from Halon Guitar Parts

Here's the new Halon hardware. Beautiful machined parts from Greece. Installed in 10 minutes, and dialed in just about as quick. Intonated fine with just the three saddles. The parts are machined, not cast. Bridge is aluminum, saddles are brass, Tremolo is steel. How do they sound? Well here ya go, here the first track recorded with them called "Halon Wheels"...

https://soundcloud.com/dani...

Nice playing! But so removed from the way I play (ham fisted and sloppy) that I couldn't tell it was a Jag. Looks much prettier than the mastery... Does it rock like the original or is it fixed?

Nicely played, Daniel! I like clarity of this guitar, it sounds beautiful. I will be posting some tunes asap, after I get my new gear all figured out. I just invested in the full Singular Sound compliment : the Beat Buddy drum machine pedal, the Aeros Loop Studio, and Meastro MIDI controller.

The Aeros is the heart of the system, a 6x6 track capable loop studio, w/unlimited overdubbing, synchronized with the Beat Buddy through MIDI.

I'm really just getting started with this system, I've only just had a couple of weeks of working with it. I'm still figuring out how it all works, and how it all works together. It's some very cutting edge technology that has only been out for a couple of years. They just had a major firmware update for the Aeros and the Meastro MIDI controller, adding more functionality. I'm pretty stoked about it all, and can't wait to share some of my own tunes with you guys and gals.

Nice playing! But so removed from the way I play (ham fisted and sloppy) that I couldn't tell it was a Jag. Looks much prettier than the mastery... Does it rock like the original or is it fixed?

– eCastro

It rocks, but they gave me extra posts that fill the thimbles if I don't want it to. My personal feeling is that I like the rocking aspect of the design. And it feels quite stable. I gigged with it today and I was blown away by how much fun it was to play. It sounded absolutely killer!!!

As for it sounding like a Jaguar, the basic tonality hasn't changed, it's just got more of everything I like about the basic tone. The mods I did opened it up, but there are things that it always did, even stock, that are nothing like any other Fender that I've owned has ever done. My favorite thing is having the rhythm circuit for a light rolled off smokey tone, and then being able to flip a switch and get a nice clean rhythm tone! And the tone when picked in front of the bridge is so damn cool the way the harmonics just jump off the string!

Nicely played, Daniel! I like clarity of this guitar, it sounds beautiful. I will be posting some tunes asap, after I get my new gear all figured out. I just invested in the full Singular Sound compliment : the Beat Buddy drum machine pedal, the Aeros Loop Studio, and Meastro MIDI controller.

The Aeros is the heart of the system, a 6x6 track capable loop studio, w/unlimited overdubbing, synchronized with the Beat Buddy through MIDI.

I'm really just getting started with this system, I've only just had a couple of weeks of working with it. I'm still figuring out how it all works, and how it all works together. It's some very cutting edge technology that has only been out for a couple of years. They just had a major firmware update for the Aeros and the Meastro MIDI controller, adding more functionality. I'm pretty stoked about it all, and can't wait to share some of my own tunes with you guys and gals.

– Wade H

Wow Wade, it sounds like you entering a brave new world, VERY EXCITING!!! I can't wait to hear your songs. I love to record, and I try to help anyone in my area that wants to learn. Good luck, and have fun! And thanks for the kind words!

Sounds great, Dan. Cool tones, tasty playing, stellar production even in a quickie jam. But I expect nothing less...the years, ears, and the studio experience will always out.

And - a pretty different set of Jagtones than I’m getting, so I’m heartened not to have been eclipsed.

I know you did a track with the original bridge and trem (or rather with your first mod parts), but contexts make it tough to compare. So... how much difference do the Halon parts make, and how would you characterize it?

Sounds great, Dan. Cool tones, tasty playing, stellar production even in a quickie jam. But I expect nothing less...the years, ears, and the studio experience will always out.

And - a pretty different set of Jagtones than I’m getting, so I’m heartened not to have been eclipsed.

I know you did a track with the original bridge and trem (or rather with your first mod parts), but contexts make it tough to compare. So... how much difference do the Halon parts make, and how would you characterize it?

– Proteus

Tim,

In no way can I express myself as clearly as you can, but here it goes...

The tones definitely changed from the stock bridge and trem, to the Japanese AVRI, to the new bridge and Japanese AVRI, and then the Halon. And then remember there was a neck change, and a pickup and wiring change.

The guitar stock sounded fine (after a proper setup), and although interesting and a slightly different sounder, than a Strat and Tele, it wasn't a crazy standout. Frankly, it was a relatively tame sounding guitar. The neck pickup was easily the standout pickup. I could immediately work with it, I had to finesse the bridge pickup to give up the goods. It was weak.

Next up was the bridge change, I got the locking feature, but NO tonal change.

Then I changed the neck, which brought midrange that was missing from the stock neck, and the guitar got interesting fast. It now had a voice that MADE me want explore it further. That's what started the cashectomy:)

Next was the new bridge, with the different height adjustable saddles. Once again, no change in tone, but I had the ability to adjust to the proper radius. And speaking of radius, I came to the conclusion that I don't want the perfect matching radius. I sat down and played the guitar and I kept moving string heights until I FELT the easiest flow for going from string to string. I didn't end up at 7.25, close but no cigar.

Next up, pickup change: the second big tone change. The neck didn't change much. MAYBE a little more open up top. But, the bridge pickup came alive. Besides a bit more balls in the midrange, I found I could adjust the tone knob to get interesting tones throughout it's travel, and as I've said a few times now, the tone right in front of the bridge knocked me out. I'm mostly a fingerstyle player, but I found myself grabbing a pick just to pull the really cool tones out of the strings. A lot of people might not like my style, because I like the a certain bright tone that is very revealing, bordering on steely. Some of the tonal change might have to do with my wiring, which lowered the noise level, which maybe helped the top end of the pickups (psuedo science maybe).

Which brings us up to the Halon hardware. Yes it changed the tone, but the tone change I attribute mainly to the bridge as I played the guitar for awhile with just the new bridge. Now things got really clear sounding, The new saddles were finished so much better, that even with all the finishing I did on the old saddles, the new contact points were better. If I would have cut a nut with any binding slots I would have heard it much better with this new bridge. The clarity is astounding. And I heard more harmonic content in both pickups.

I found myself adjusting the amp sims in a different way with the new bridge.

One of the things that amps sims in a DAW allow you to do is to go back and change the settings that you recorded with. I do plenty of that, adjusting tone knobs till get rid of anything that blocks the tone I'm looking for. Or conversely, push tones to make them jump out. The guitar with the new bridge reacted differently to the amp simps, One of the things I heard was a distinct growl in the low e string that wasn't there before. I actually had to decide whether I liked it or not, verdict, I love it!

I don't think the tremolo changed the tone much, as it's steel, yes maybe slightly better quality, but still the tone was very similar to the AVRI bridge after the change.

I bought the tremolo for it's arm tension feature. And after today's gig, I would like it a bit tighter, but if I tighten it too much, I will lose one of their design features, the ability to have the arm return to two different positions automatically. I don't care about that, because I want the arm to be extension of my hand, with no delay, and no play in the collet. Frankly some people might be offput by the sensitivity I set the guitar up with, as you have to be pretty precise or you may get bit with a excessively bright tone or two. As it is now, if a fly landed on one of strings I would probably hear it :)

Another thing I have to add. Soon as I put the Halon bridge on, I felt the guitar was more stable. Although rocking, the movement in the thimbles seemed smoother, and it seemed to keep tune better. And as you can probably imagine, I put a lot of time into the old hardware to get it right, and the Halon, right after popping it into the thimbles, just felt better. Yep, it still needed adjusting to get the string heights right, but everything just seemed easier.

Listen to these tracks back to back, and listen to the tone change. The first one is the old hardware, the second one, the new hardware, but same pickups!!!

Thank you. Great to hear the comparison. I find on my jazz master bridges make a big difference to the sound but evin with 12s I experience saddle slip. I dont believe they ship StayTrem out of the USA so will investigate Halon

Thank you. Great to hear the comparison. I find on my jazz master bridges make a big difference to the sound but evin with 12s I experience saddle slip. I dont believe they ship StayTrem out of the USA so will investigate Halon

– eCastro

Although they weren't shipping to the USA, Staytrem is now going to ship here, but there is about an 8 week wait before the next production cycle.

Thank you, Daniel! Good to know there are now a couple of options available .

Thank you, Daniel! Good to know there are now a couple of options available .

– eCastro

Staytrems are quite a bit cheaper than the Halon, and they look a little more vintage. The Staytrem, by all accounts is a great replacement bridge, as it always gets good reviews. Also it has the right 52mm string spacing! I actually ordered one, but cancelled the order after I got the Halon.

Vintage correctness didn't come into play with me, I was more interested in achieving a certain sound, and I figured the metals used in the Halon would get me there. Additionally, I love both the offset saddle screws, and the cutouts in the back of the Halon bridge, which I felt would make for easier setup.

Register Sign in to join the conversation