Miscellaneous Rumbles

Going to Mesa Arizona

The wife and myself are going to Mesa Arizona in February and March. Besides going to the Musical Instrument Museum are there any recommendations for things to do there? We will have my Harley with us so we will do some riding as well.

In March there should be some Cactus League games. The Cubs and As both train in Mesa and there are several other teams around the valley. There are a lot of good Mexican food restaurants around there area. There are lakes not too far away although it hopefully will be a bit chilly. There is a nice zoo between Tempe and Phoenix and more golf courses than you can possibly believe. There are a number of concerts around the area including the MIM, which is a great venue. What type of things are you looking for?

I spent my time in Arizona chasing and catching snakes and lizards, never suspecting for one minute that there'd actually be ao many that I'd get tired of doing it.

I was all over the state in the middle of the summer with a car full of family, and we drove throught the painted desert, visited a huge crater, went to Holbrook on route 66, visited Canyon DeChelly, the Grand Canyon, Slide Rock, Carefree, Sedona, Rawhide(a wild west experience) just outside of Phoenix, and plenty of other things.

We went with no map or compass, totally flying by the seat of out pants, discovering beautiful scenery and people wherever we went.

I, of course, wanted to move out there, as did the kids, but the wife was super allergic to all the outdoors that it ruined it for her.

Amazing terrain out there.

I spent my time in Arizona chasing and catching snakes and lizards, never suspecting for one minute that there'd actually be ao many that I'd get tired of doing it.

I was all over the state in the middle of the summer with a car full of family, and we drove throught the painted desert, visited a huge crater, went to Holbrook on route 66, visited Canyon DeChelly, the Grand Canyon, Slide Rock, Carefree, Sedona, Rawhide(a wild west experience) just outside of Phoenix, and plenty of other things.

We went with no map or compass, totally flying by the seat of out pants, discovering beautiful scenery and people wherever we went.

I, of course, wanted to move out there, as did the kids, but the wife was super allergic to all the outdoors that it ruined it for her.

Amazing terrain out there.

– crowbone

Find any rattlers?

One baby. Crawlled across my boot in Canyon DeChelly.

Some great suggestions with the exception of snake hunting! I am like Indiana Jones when it comes to snakes, can't stand them. The wife would really like Sedona, she says there are "Vortexes" there. I thought a vortex was something you get swept into and are never seen from again. Maybe I should send the wife there by herself. Just kidding, l love her dearly. We like to go for hikes, so we will look for some interesting trails. A baseball game would be fun. Doesn't Alice Cooper have a restaurant or something at one of the ballparks? Any good guitar shops there I should visit? Isn't Gretsch headquarters there? Anything to see there? Looking forward to some good Mexican food. It would be fun to take the bike down Route 66. Keep those suggestions coming in. Thanks!

Sedona is a "Must See" -- Gorgeous!

The Grand Canyon is an obvious sight to see -- it will still be cold there in Feb./March. We were there in March a couple of years ago and the north rim was still closed to traffic (there is plenty to see on the south rim). There is a very good hotel on the south side, near the park entrance. Can't remember the name of it -- I think it's the only one there (???). We enjoyed it.

There is a LOT of wide-open beautiful country in AZ. Enjoy!

GreTschocaster, PM me once you know your Arizona visit schedule. Would be happy to give you an exclusive tour of the Gretsch Guitar World Headquarters in Scottsdale. Please know our office is NOT open to the general public. But as an active member in good standings of The GDP, will personally give you a guided tour.

Joe, that would be the highlight of my vacation! I will definitely be in touch with you. Thank you very much!

Well, now you got a plan!

Duane’s original '57 6120 is on display at The MIM. This museum will knock you over with its content and the beauty of its architecture. Great cafe, as well.

Abuelos for delish Mexican food. Of course, there are hundreds of great restaurants in the area. Ask Joe when you see him. :)

Deed - I will be sure to look for Duane's 6120 at the museum. We have previously been to Arizona to visit friends for 3 days. We flew that time so this is our first time driving. My wife had breast cancer and her surgeries (mastectomy and reconstruction) ended a few months ago. I am so proud of her, she has attacked this disease with amazing courage and dignity. We are both looking forward to getting away for a rest, to see a few old friends and make some new ones. My GreTsch guitars and the forum members here sure made some of the more challenging days brighter.

Let me say your wife is my hero.

Answering a question you asked earlier, Alice Cooper does indeed have a restaurant near a ball park. The restaurant is Cooperstown and it is next to the Sun's Arena, which is in turn next to the Diamondback's field. They change corporate sponsors so often that I have given up trying to remember who the sponsor du jour is. When the Diamondbacks ballpark opened it was sponsored by Bank One so we all called it BOB for Bank One Ballpark. Well they've gone through a few since then but it will always be BOB to me. Cooperstown is decent. You might also want to try Pizzeria Bianco. Warning, they don't use BOB for Spring training.

For Mexican food in Phoenix, try the Barrio Cafe or Rito's. Rito's is only open for lunch. La Canasta is another great place but the one in downtown Phoenix is not in the greatest of neighborhoods. On the plus side, there are usually enough cops and firefighters eating there that is isn't a problem. In Mesa, I like Boca Taqueria in two locations. They are small but is owned by the family of the guy that started Rancho de Tia Rosa's and then lost the restaurants due to other problems. Tia Rosa's is still OK but I prefer Boca. Really tho', it is hard to get bad Mexican food in the Valley, or throughout Arizona for that matter. There are a lot of little restaurants ending in "-bertos" that many swear by. There are also a lot of neighborhood places that are excellent as well.

If you want to travel around the State you can make a Road Trip up to Prescott, Sedona, Flagstaff and the Grand Canyon. By the time you get to Flagstaff in February and March you run the risk of hitting considerable snow. Flagstaff is above 7000 feet so plan accordingly. Taking Route 66 East of Flagstaff (Don't forget Wynona -- which is in between Flag and Winslow) you can get to the Petrified Forest and Painted Desert.

Going South and East from Mesa, you can go to Tucson and the Arizona Sonora Desert Museum. This is the zoo that zookeepers indicate they like to go to on vacation. Old Tucson and Tombstone are touristy areas that try to convince you that you are in the old West. A lot of Western movies are shot in Old Tucson.

For regular museums, Phoenix has a decent art museum and science museum and Mesa has a quaint one but it is nowhere comparable to the better museums around the country. There is also the Heard Museum in Phoenix which may be the best Native American museum around. Flagstaff has the Museum of Northern Arizona and the Arizona History Museum is in Tucson on the University of Arizona campus.

There are a lot of mountain trails to hike on South Mountain, Camelback Mountain, Piestewa Peak (formerly Squaw Peak) and even the Superstitions. If you go hiking you really need to carry water and stay hydrated.

As far as music stores, there are a few nice ones but the one that you probably would want to visit is Acoustic Vibes on Southern Avenue in Tempe. They have a fantastic collection of fine acoustic guitars. Most of the top brands and they are very willing to have you play them. Nice selection of banjos and mandolins too. Kind of hard to find unless you know exactly where you are looking. It used to be the home of some friends of mine and I live about a quarter mile away and I did not notice it for several years, even tho' I pass by it constantly.

Hopefully these give you some ideas. If you have other questions, send me a PM or just post them here.

Thanks very much Don! Some great ideas. I just checked the spare bedroom. My wife has started packing her clothes in there. I think I need a bigger vehicle. :)

Tombstone was great when my father took me there as a little boy. He was born and grew up as a youngster in nearby Bisbee. Not sure if I would view Tombstone through the same eyes today, but I would certainly give it another try.

Tombstone is a great idea and I'd love to go there. I know Sedona is a pretty cool/artsy place. Unfortunately I never did much when I went to Phoenix for work. From '03 thru '06 I must've spent a total of 4 months there but didn't do anything in my spare time other than eat and play golf. I really wish I had gone to Sedona.

I think I would like to go to Tombstone to check it out. That would be a good ride on the motorcycle.

When you go to Tombstone you really get the feeling of the West. Just squint your eyes, ignore the obvious touristy shtick and keep your eyes peeled for Wyatt, Doc, and the brothers. I loved it.

When the Diamondbacks ballpark opened it was sponsored by Bank One so we all called it BOB for Bank One Ballpark. Well they've gone through a few since then but it will always be BOB to me.

It will always be BOB to me, too.

Register Sign in to join the conversation