Other Players

My Story on Randy Bachman

As Randy Bachman has been known to wield a Gretsch on occasion, I thought I'd post this here - my latest story for SOCAN, where the Guess Who and BTO founder talks about songwriting and his new album, Heavy Blues.

Randy Bachman: Songwriter's Blues

Nice. Glad to see he has a blues album coming out.

I dig how the chick is playing Gibson and Rick basses.

Reinventing himself, eh? Pretty sad that a guy like Randy has to reprove himself to sell a song. Is this because everyone is writing for themselves or because there is a certain songwriters guild in Nashville that only gets the airplay?

Could it just be an extension of the inexplicable story of why the Guess Who & BTO never achieved the super-band status in the US they deserved. Their body of work, much of it written by Randy seemed to fly just under the radar, yet it was always acknowledged by the pundits as brilliant.

I bought the Guess Who - Greatest Hit album on vinyl in the mid 80s when I was probably 11 or 12 years old (my parent's had a copy, but I could only listen to it on THEIR player). I can't imagine how many times I've listened to it over the years...holy cow. Great songs!

Reinventing himself, eh? Pretty sad that a guy like Randy has to reprove himself to sell a song. Is this because everyone is writing for themselves or because there is a certain songwriters guild in Nashville that only gets the airplay?

– Suprdave

I think it's more likely that Randy, as an official Old Guy, does not represent the demographic that radio stations are going for. Musicians of a certain age may still have their hits from years ago played on Classic Rock stations, but ain't none of 'em getting their new stuff played on radio nowhere nohow.

Register Sign in to join the conversation