Miscellaneous Rumbles

God Save the Queen

To my fellow colonials; 'Carry on Regardless'.

Thank-you, sir! You as well.

I am, on my side of the country, thank you very much!

The fascist regime?

The fascist regime?

– JimmyR

I think that came a little later.

This whistle must be for particularly British bulldogs - or my high-frequency hearing is truly shot. I have no idea what this thread is on about.

This whistle must be for particularly British bulldogs - or my high-frequency hearing is truly shot. I have no idea what this thread is on about.

– Proteus

Good. Someone else said it, so I don’t need to look like an uninformed Yank. Of corse, I just blew that.

"Everyone would gather
on the 24th of May
Sitting in the sand
to watch the fireworks display."
"Lakeside Park" - Rush

I had the distinct pleasure of spending a long-ago Victoria Day in Canada, and wish them well on this day.

"Everyone would gather
on the 24th of May
Sitting in the sand
to watch the fireworks display."
"Lakeside Park" - Rush

I had the distinct pleasure of spending a long-ago Victoria Day in Canada, and wish them well on this day.

– Timthom62

Well there ya go, Victoria Day. Thanks for clearing up the ambiguity. We Yanks can be a bit daft concerning these things

Except, today is not the 24th? Still at a loss...

Found out : "last monday preceding the 25th"!

Ah, good ol' Vickie. She were a stalwart lass, warn't she?

Queen Anne Boleyn was beheaded on May 19th by Henry the 8th...

Thomas Cromwell, a few generations prior to Oliver, was the instigator, but then he also fell out of favor and was beheaded.

Oliver eventually made his mark, too.

He had King Charles I beheaded.

I think a lot of us Canadians mark Victoria day with a certain tongue in cheek irreverence. If we seriously considered the colonial legacy of the Victorian era, we'd surely have to question why we still celebrate, but like a lot of history, it remains somewhat intangible.

I went to a one-room school until the end of grade five, and every morning we stood in front of Elizabeth's portrait and sang 'God Bless the Queen'. It must have been successful brain washing because not too long ago, I played a gig in one of those 'clubs' that somehow associate themselves with a British lineage. On a break, there I was, sitting in the lounge area surrounded by pictures of the queen and various old soldiers with huge sideburns dressed in red tunics adorned with medals, and I couldn't help but notice how comfortable I felt. It was strange; part embarrassment, part disappointment for identyfing with it on an emotional level....but at the same time, right at home.

On the other hand, when I see 'Canadian' represented by beavers in mountie uniforms carrying hockey sticks, drinking cheap beer, and speaking with an Ottawa Valley accent, it makes me very uncomfortable.

It used to be a source of Australian pride that we never really knew what the various public holidays were for. We still have a Queen's birthday holiday here, although it's not actually on her birthday. I'm not sure when it is! But we do like a long weekend. If/when we do finally become a proper republic I'm sure we will have to have something else to replace the Queen's birthday holiday or else the whole republic idea will never take off.

The idea of a royal family must surely be reaching its use by date??

I don't mind the symbolic gesture of celebrating the longest reigning monarch of Great Britain, but Canada still has the archaic position of Governor General of Canada - the Queen's representative in Canada - an office that needs to be totally eliminated in every sense. It's a ceremonial position with no real power but a very real and completely unnecessary expense to our country. If Great Britain wants to pay ALL expenses for this office, fine, but otherwise it's a government dinosaur that needs to die off. We're an autonomous nation and have been for a very long time and we don't need this now silly tradition's unnecessary position or expense.

I don't mind the symbolic gesture of celebrating the longest reigning monarch of Great Britain, but Canada still has the archaic position of Governor General of Canada - the Queen's representative in Canada - an office that needs to be totally eliminated in every sense. It's a ceremonial position with no real power but a very real and completely unnecessary expense to our country. If Great Britain wants to pay ALL expenses for this office, fine, but otherwise it's a government dinosaur that needs to die off. We're an autonomous nation and have been for a very long time and we don't need this now silly tradition's unnecessary position or expense.

– Windsordave

I'm with you Dave, but I think the queen is the head of state, even though she doesn't meddle very much. If you recall, when Pierre Trudeau first attempted to get the Charter of Rights and Freedoms passed as a replacement for the British North America Act, Quebec blocked its ratification because it gave equal priority in law to the English and French languages. At that point, Pierre went directly to the Queen and she signed it into law, leaving Quebec out. At least that's my recollection of it.

It does cost us a pretty penny whenever any of the 'Royals' come over for a visit. One time Elizabeth and the prince came to Nova Scotia and the city or province painted all the grass green along the waterfront where her ship was going to be passing. That's probably small potatoes compared to the hotels, dining, and security expenses. I think they can afford to cover the costs.

I had hoped that we would have stepped up to the plate by now, but we still cling to a colonial mindset with our ass on two horses.

"One time Elizabeth and the prince came to Nova Scotia and the city or province painted all the grass green along the waterfront where her ship was going to be passing."

Why on earth do people do stuff like this?? It happens here in Australia too. Would the queen be offended by brown grass? Her view of the world must be surreal! She must see the world as some perfect, poverty-free, perfect place.

The Governor General here is largely symbolic position but there are times when the GG has rather too much say in our politics, as in 1975 when he was conned into sacking the Prime Minister.

Years ago my wife and I visited her relatives in Croatia. Australia had just started using plastic bank notes - a world first! - so the relatives were curious to see what Aussie money looked like. As we showed them some of our change they asked "Why does your money have England's queen on it?" and we couldn't really offer a good answer other than "history".

"Why does your money have England's queen on it?"

Well, clearly because you don't have one of your own.

we couldn't really offer a good answer other than "history".

Yes well. A sufficient answer for virtually any horror, outrage, superstition, or anachron. Why does a Country Gent have a backpad and mute?

– Don Birchett

Love the shirt Don, I suspect that many of us fall into that category!

“They’re arresting Malcolm, they’re arresting Malcolm” LOL

"Well, clearly because you don't have one of your own."

Did you never see Priscilla Queen of the Desert? We have plenty of queens here thank you very much!

I don't want us to have a war of independence. I'd much rather we had a big boozy party of independence. A barby of independence. That would be Australian.

Register Sign in to join the conversation