Miscellaneous Rumbles

Give The Drummer Some

Taking off on Enis Penvy's Top Five Guitarists thread, here's for your five fave drummers --- again, not necessarily the greatest, but your top five to listen to or watch perform.

Here's mine:

1. Billy Cobham, Jr.
  2. David Garibaldi
  3. Willie Stewart
  4. Stewart Copeland
  5. Tony Williams

Honorable Mentions: Carlton "Carly" Barrett, Mitch Mitchell, Jack deJohnette, Lenny White, Michael Shrieve, Leon "Ndugu" Chancler, Airto Moreira, Robertinho Silva, Danny Gottlieb, Hal Blaine

Neil Peart, Buddy Rich, Vinnie Colaiuta, Dennis Chambers and John Bonham.

Stewart Copeland

Art Blakey

George Hurley

Billy Cobham

Ringo

Jim Keltner, Buddy Rich, Earl Palmer, Joe Morello, Vinnie Colaiuta.

Gene Krupa

Buddy Rich

Sonny Greer

Mel Taylor

Hal Blaine

Stewart Copeland, Kenny Aranoff (hardest working drummer in the biz), Gene Krupa (invented the drum solo, first musician to get busted for drugs), Keith Moon, Ringo Starr

I loved the guy that played for Little Richard, and the dude from Fats Domino's band, and Eddie Cochran's crisp backbeat, many more besides that danced on the keen edge of Rock 'n' Roll, Rhythm and Blues, Swing and Soul music.

Earl Palmer turns out to be my top ten favourite drummers.

Clifton James Earl Palmer Milton Turner Gene Krupa specifically with Benny Goodman John 'Jabo' Starks - Very under rated - Just give a listen to Bobby 'Blue' Blands' version of Turn on Your Love Light - I listen to that often as well as a lot of his James Brown sides -

My high school buddy was a drummer and turned me on to snippets of obscure drummers - I went with him to see Art Blakey and also Buddy Rich- Both were not my kind of music but man they were great to see - Buddy Rich and Killer Force in the Esquire Show Bar in Montreal was someone to see - He stopped half way through his first set and asked if there were 'any drummers in the house' - Well of course 3/4s of the crowd shot up their hands - Rich then held up his bass drum pedal and mentioned it was a Rogers and he has had nothing but trouble with it - He told the crowd he couldn't recommend a Rogers pedal - This was at least 50 years ago and I bet to this day there are drummers who were there who never bought another Rogers item -

1- Rob Horst (Midnight Oil)

2- Stewart Copeland

3- Neil Pearl

4- Ringo Starr

5- Dave Grohl

I loved the guy that played for Little Richard, and the dude from Fats Domino's band, and Eddie Cochran's crisp backbeat, many more besides that danced on the keen edge of Rock 'n' Roll, Rhythm and Blues, Swing and Soul music.

Earl Palmer turns out to be my top ten favourite drummers.

– ade

+1

Barriemore Barlow

Simon Philips

Bill Brufford

Sammy

Me

I don’t even know 5 drummers names.

As a recovering former drummer, I had to give this a lot of thought. I've always preferred great time-keepers to flash drummers... Those guys who can lock the pocket down so tight and still never lose the feel of how a groove ebbs & flows throughout a tune. Those guys whose one-measure fills say more in a song than any 10 minute solo, because they're always musical and done with taste. Those guys who, no matter with whom they're playing, are always "in the right place" at the right time.

In terms of tip-top personal favorites, here's what I came up with (no order-- when you cut it down to five, ranking is impossible)

1. Al Jackson Jr.

2. Joe Morello

3. Larrie Londin (Like Hal Blaine, the drummer you've heard all of your life, and never even knew it!)

4. Ernest "Boom" Carter

5. Jim Keltner

Apologies to others who were edged out by a razor-thin margin in my list (Blaine), but I had to go with Londin instead.

Thanks for reminding me, Bob Howard...

That Sammy Hoof is one of the best!

1 ) Gene Kurpa

2 ) Buddy Rich

3 ) Ginger Baker

4) Keith Moon

5 ) Ringo Starr

and a very honorable mention for our own "Tubwompus".

In no particular order: Krupp Watts Moon Blaine Growl

So many more - you could ask for 100 and you’d still leave worthies off the list. Kinda like guitarists.

1. John Bonham

2. Phill Rudd

3. Vinnie Paul Abbott

4. Joey Jordison

5. Christoph Schneider

Honorable mentions: Slim Jim Phantom, Bernie Dresel, Scott Churilla.

Edit: I forgot one; the drummer from Gojira, can't recall his name but he deserves a spot in my top 5. He's a monster. Now I should stop before I find more that I forgot. I'm probably a bigger drummer fan than guitarist fan.

Ringo Copeland Steve Gadd Buddy Rich John Bonham

Pierre Moerlen from Gong, Jaki Liebezeit of Can, Dave Mattacks from Fairport Convention, Jim Gordon, and Russell Kunkel.

Gotta give some PNW love to Janet Weiss of Quasi, Sleater-Kinney, Wild Flag, Slang, and a jillion other projects. Obviously a tremendous work ethic. Plays with Keith Moon ferocity yet keeps solid propulsive time. Self taught in her twenties. AND I once saw her parallel park the tour van in one clean swing.

New day, new list of my current favorites.

Steve Gadd

John Bonham

Jim Gordon

Bernard Purdie

Gene Krupa

Register Sign in to join the conversation