Miscellaneous Rumbles

Getting to old for concerts

Not my usual style, but I went to see the flaming lips last night. What a cool show, never seen anything like it. I am almost 40 years old and I don't know if it's just my age but concerts just do feel the same for me as they did in my 20's. I don't like people walking past and spilling beer on me, or waiting 15min in line for a pizza. It's to loud and I am to old. I am going to see Setzer tonight so we will see how the experience compares. That's for letting me vent. the flaming lips where great, lots of energy and stage theatrics go see them.

I find Setzer's shows incredibly inspiring. And not too loud. :)

But yeah- "rock shows" in arenas and stadiums? I'm over it. These days is clubs and theaters for me. Not interested in anything "bigger."

One of the biggest problems is getting tickets before the robots snap them all up for the ticket brokers. If I'm restricted to only six tickets, how (and why) do brokers get to buy blocks of seats?

I dunno about being too old. While I live in a place where attending large concerts does not occur, I was 50 when we traveled to London 10 years ago to see Knopfler at Royal Albert Hall. Loved it! My sister turns 65 this. She still goes to 2 or three big concerts a year. I've still got a couple of big shows left in me.

Never too old to Rock and Roll""" Ive just turned 71, my son and band buddy and son in law, Just about 40 year olds are off to see the Rolling Stones in London, surprise for me and them"""Looking forward to it however some trepidation about beer and toilet requirements maybe""for me not them, special pants maybe, thats assuming the band turn up.

I echo what Slim said- there oughtta be a law about that (actually, there is one in some places, but it seems to have had zero effect). Tickets for events I do want to attend are almost invariably gone within moments of release and I need to rely on contact to get seats, as I simply refuse to contribute to the resellers near-criminal activities.

Aside from that, while I am reasonably comfortable onstage in front of larger crowds (such as found at outdoor venues), and seem to have been blessed with little or no stage fright, I don't do well in those same big crowds. For some reason, I get nervous, and that takes some of the fun out of the experience. As a result, I've long preferred venues like theatres over arenas and the like. For those rare times I do head to the area or stadium, I always make sure I get into the permanent seating and shy away from any kind of temporary seating trucked in for the occasion. Standing on the floor? Not this cowboy! Fortunately, my wife shares my aversion to mosh pits and the like so we usually wind up side by side for the entire show.

Finally, my last few experiences with stadium-sized shows paradoxically required both hearing aids and binoculars at the same time and I found myself thinking "I'll just wait for the PBS version next time".

I guess I am getting old.

I'd normally work the show if I wanted to see/hear a band. While working the stage or on follow spot, you're actually part of the show. It also keeps me out of the crowd as well.

The last stadium/arena show I went to was Sting in around 1990. Decided then and there I never wanted to do another. Since the only thing you can really see is the big video screen, you might as well watch a DVD at home.

Outdoor festivals are great, clubs and theaters are great. My band will be headlining the North Beach Festival in San Francisco --- one of the longest running street fairs in the United States ---on Saturday June 16, and I'm looking forward to it!

Arena/Stadium shows suck. The sound is usually awful and overly loud for no good reason. It's gotten better to some degree over the past 45 years of concerts I've attended or worked, but they've always sucked.

I just went to the best sounding show I've been to in years. BBVD at 750 seat recently refurbished 97 year old theater.

We never go to big shows, too much hassle, too loud, too many people, blah blah blah.

However, we went to see Queen at The Bridgestone Arena, an intimate room that holds 22,000, including us. Well, it was amazing. The sound was crystal clear, the lights utterly mind boggling. A massive arena show...who knew? We had a blast.

My last arena show was Pat Benatar in the late 80's. I had a 7th row floor seat at the Forum in L.A.. I paid a premium for the seat and expected to see a great show. This guy and his girlfriend in row 6 in front of me spent the whole concert standing on their folding chairs, except for "We Belong" which was a pair of lighters being held up in a Statue of Liberty tribute. Her butt was far more attractive than his, but I would have rather watched Pat's. I spent most of the night screaming 4 letter invectives at both of them; thankfully being drowned out by the band. That did it - small venues only.

Small concerts are better than clubs. I don’t enjoy drunk young people, they are at their most stupid and dangerous.

About 15 years ago, I drove the six hours to Minneapolis to see one of my favourite bands.

Everyone was having a great time, the band was nailing it, but I realized I was never going to enjoy a Rock’n’Roll show enough to make the trip anymore.

I had been going to see some guys I knew play a Jazz jam at a little bar across town every Wednesday. Those guys were going for it every week, living on the edge all the time.

The Rock band was flawless, and just like the record with a couple of improvised solos. I was bored.

I’ve been to a few shows by my favourite band since then, but there are only a select few defunct Rock bands I can imagine ever travelling.to see.

If you are only 40, or almost 40, then you will be the youngster at a Setzer show. I'm 53 and my hair is still dark brown. I felt like a kid!

My knees, now that's another story.

...------

I dunno, I have to say that I've had some of the best live show experiences of my lifetime after turning 40.

Funny, a friend was just decrying the live show experience for the same reasons (beer spills, talking etc.).

You pay your money and you take your chance, I say. Glad I bought a ticket to see Neil Young and Crazy Horse, Reverend Horton Heat, Brian Setzer, and many more.

I pretty much stopped enjoying going to rock concerts about the same time that folks stopped sitting in the seats for which they had paid perfectly good money. If a show is listed as General Admission...it pretty much turns me off completely. The last GA show I went to willingly was to a small club in Chicago to see Sondre Lerche with my son...there was a small furnace/heater in the back corner that looked like it would (un)comfortably "seat" two adults and even though I was the fourth person through the door, the wife and I immediately grabbed that spot! It allowed us to still see above the heads of those standing in front of us!

Nowdays, about the only show I will bother to go see live is going to be Todd Rundgren (go figure).

I pretty much stopped enjoying going to rock concerts about the same time that folks stopped sitting in the seats for which they had paid perfectly good money. If a show is listed as General Admission...it pretty much turns me off completely. The last GA show I went to willingly was to a small club in Chicago to see Sondre Lerche with my son...there was a small furnace/heater in the back corner that looked like it would (un)comfortably "seat" two adults and even though I was the fourth person through the door, the wife and I immediately grabbed that spot! It allowed us to still see above the heads of those standing in front of us!

Nowdays, about the only show I will bother to go see live is going to be Todd Rundgren (go figure).

– Toddfan

Didja get to catch any of the (3/4’s of) Utopia reunion tour?

Big Bad Voodoo Daddy?

Big Bad Voodoo Daddy?

– Proteus

YEP! I've seen them twice at the Jazz Cafe in London a terrific live show in a fantastic venue.

Not many bands can bring me out to a big concert - too many unpleasantries involved.

But I think I'll catch Fleetwood Mac in Louisville in October. With two creative guitarists, I have hope for the band - and they're reportedly doing material from the pre-Bucknix era. I'll take the chance.

I have only been to about 5 arena rock concerts Clapton twice in mid 70s, Springsteen in mid 80s McCartney in early 90s. I prefer smaller venues and did even back then

I never liked arena rock although seeing Pink Floyd in 1994 was awesome as my dad got me 3 tickets for my birthday that year and I took 2 friends. We had the best seats at Giants Stadium and tailgated for 6 hours before the show.

I wish would've seen U2 tonight at the Nassau Coliseum. I still love arena concerts and Madison Square Garden is still magical to see a show.

I have enjoyed smaller venues like John Mellencamp at Radio City Music Hall some year back and am going to start looking for tickets to the Iridium in NYC. I was sick when Jimmie Vaughan was in town but Albert Lee is playing on the 12th and 13th so maybe I can grab a ticket from somewhere (and still be able to make the mortgage payments).

I'm pumped up for Chris Isaak at the Paramount in Huntington, NY at the end of August. It's a great venue and saw quite a few shows there including Imelda May and Darrel. And how could I forget seeing the Allman Brothers Band about 10 times at the Beacon Theater. The best was back in '93 when Dickey Betts let me on the stage.....way before the show. Everyone I tell this too is surprised because I've been told he can be very "stand-offish. But that night he entertained my questions and gave me tons of pointers and complimented me on my enthusiasm and being respectful. I still have the autographed T-shirt.

Anyway, I'm 45 and fell damn good and love the electricity of a live performance. And my hair is only about 35% grey so there's some elder wisdom mixed in too!

"I dunno, I have to say that I've had some of the best live show experiences of my lifetime after turning 40."

Oh me too, for sure.... they've just been SMALLER shows....

"I have enjoyed smaller venues like John Mellencamp at Radio City Music Hall some year back"

I saw him some years back at the Theatre at MSG. He always does a good show.

" and am going to start looking for tickets to the Iridium in NYC."

I hate driving into NYC, the logistics of getting in an & out are a just a pain, BUT Andy Timmons has some dates coming up there, and I am seriously considering buying a ticket.

I saw Albert Lee several years ago, right near my house, at a VERY small restaurant (the owner is a music fan), and while I barely knew anything he played (I'm not a Lee fan), it was a VERY enjoyable show!

i'm pretty much the opposite way round. i'm just stumbling into work after a weekend where i drove 1000 miles in two days to see Belle & Sebastian in DC and then Gomez in Asheville, NC. it takes a lot out of me, but live music is one of the things that makes life bearable for me, let alone worthwhile. i don't do stadium shows any more, but i gave that up back in the 1990s. i don't love arenas, but they're a necessary condition if you want to see relatively popular artists...i'm going to New York next month to see Radiohead at Madison Square Garden because that's the closest they're going to be to central Virginia. so far this year i've seen Graham Nash, Hot Tuna, godspeed you black emperor!, Acid Mothers Temple, David Crosby, B&S, and Gomez. upcoming: U2, Radiohead, My Bloody Valentine, gybe! again, and maybe Slowdive if i can figure out how to finagle it.

My virtual hat is off to you, mac. That’s a fine diverse menu of music. I quite agree that live music is a vital source of life-enhancing wonderjuice. I just don’t have the stamina for the travel and the psychic press of crowds.

Register Sign in to join the conversation