Miscellaneous Rumbles

George and Frank. Who knew?!

Just when you think you’d seen just about every Beatle-related photo in existence, this appears. Taken November 12, 1968, at Western Recorders in Hollywood.

Frank invited George to come down to the studio. they had a great evening, then went on to dinner on The Strip.

It has been twenty years, May 14, since Frank Sinatra took his last bow.

Frank would later describe "Something" as "the greatest love song of the past 50 years." That's the only Frank and George connection I previously knew of. And even that one was a bit tenuous, since Frank also referred to it as his favorite Lennon & McCartney composition for years before correcting himself.

One of Sinatra's off-siders commented "It's Frank's world. We're just lucky to be living in it.". Well, in 1968, it was also the world of four Liverpool lads, one of whom wrote "Something" that "Ol' Blue Eyes" (Ol' Red Eyes?) couldn't sing to save his life. That lad was George Harrison.

And, in between, that must be Pattie Boyd, ...~50 years ago.

Great picture.

Yes, the girl with something in the she way moves, sitting there with all her foolish pride.

Has any other one woman inspired two more monumental songs?

Frank had just divorced from Mia Farrow at the time of those pictures...30 years age difference being said to blame.

That's also right around when the White Album came out.

I sure didn't. "My sweet Lord" meets the Chairman of the Board.

Yes, the girl with something in the she way moves, sitting there with all her foolish pride.

Has any other one woman inspired two more monumental songs?

– Proteus

Three monumental songs. Wonderful Tonight was also inspired by her, heard at most weddings.

Also, I remember reports that Frank concidered Something to be his favorite Lennon-McCartney tune.

I’m calling Photoshop on that one. I mean, the real fans MUSTA see this before...(wink)

Well, OK. Two monumental songs and one chestnut.

No, these photos absolutely are for real. Mal over George's shoulder, too.

I'm putting the BeaLeTTer out tonight and some of the Bands have included tomorrow's gigs. So, that's tonight main task so I don't miss anyone.

Soon, I'll search for my photos of them at dinner. It's an old "save" of mine. So it may take a while as I included nothing in the title to help until a few years ago--makes me have to LOOK at them.

(If you have any gig info you'd like me to include please email it to me oamfuchs@aye.net by 9:30 pm Louisville time tonight. Not enough of we GDPers send in info any longer And, if you want to receive it for the gigs of others, email me with your name, street address, preferred email & phones. [I do that to be able to prove, if ever called upon, that I didn't pirate your info. Remember, Fred, Dinah & Joe felt it sufficiently helpful they gave me the world exclusive on the George G6128T-GH, to my forever glee.])

No. She was George’s wife. And here's the story...Frank and George

– Deed Eddy

Superb string arrangement in the intro and throughout.. Nelson Riddle at his best..

This was the last arrangement by Nelson Riddle for Sinatra. It is stunning.

Frank had just divorced from Mia Farrow at the time of those pictures...30 years age difference being said to blame.

– Twangmeisternyc

He divorced her because she went ahead to star in "Rosemary's Baby". He did not want it and in Frank's world he could be very cruel. I love Sinatra but I know he always envied Dean Martin who was naturally universally loved and respected. Sinatra used to pay people to stay with him and party all night long. No one dared say no to Frank ......except Dean who actually would go to bed early to hit the golf course in the morning. (During the Rat Pack Vegas days).

People loved Dean. They feared Frank.

I was giving Frank the benefit of the doubt as to whether or not he hit on Pattie...just how would he say it?

"Stay away from the Kinder"!

I am sure he chatted her up good during that night out on the Strip.

W.R.T. the Nelson Riddle arrangement...holy lush. Par for the course, but still.

Superb string arrangement in the intro and throughout.. Nelson Riddle at his best..

– richie...

Over-embellished vocal...and who the hell is "Jack"?

Over-embellished vocal...and who the hell is "Jack"?

– jeffed

As a Sinatra fan, I would've loved to have heard him sing this in his younger crooning years. And as much of a fan as I am, I don't think Frank's version serves the song. Kudos for trying but the Beatles' version is tops.

As far as who's "Jack"? Well if you don't the style, then no one is going to be able to explain it. It's a certain cool that the Chairman of the Board owns. I dig it.

I understand Sinatra's street-wise, edgy style all two well, unfortunately, and the addition of that wiseguy attitude into such a pure and simple song like "Something" was a huge error of judgement IMHO. That's why he admitted on one occasion LIVE "...and if I ever learn how to sing it...". You got THAT right, Frank. You gave it your best shot and you effed up. Why not try singing "scoobie-do" to the toon of "Ave Maria", baby?

Register Sign in to join the conversation