Miscellaneous Rumbles

Confess Your Gear Recognition Failures

A couple of real screw ups on my part were both acquiring and keeping, and letting go of things I thought were not really worth it later.

I bought a 4X10 solid state Standel Artist in around 1965. As a kid or as an adult, possibly the worst, muddiest, and just unispiring amp I ever owned. I traded it for a Kustom 100 watt head and cab with 2X15's. Brand new black tuck and roll. It was nice, but I after a while considered it cheesy and sold it to finance a Super Reverb.

My Mosrite Ventures II Model Guitar in blue. I figured it was a kids guitar. I kept it under the bed while I was in the Navy and Traded it off to a trunk Gypsy for something or another. He was going to Las Vegas to start a music and pawn, which he did, where the guitar was bought to learn on and quickly returned. Enter Tim, of Tym guitars in Brisbane Australia. He bought it and took it back to Brisbane with him for his Ramone collection. It resides there today in a glass case full of Memorabilia to the Ramones.

When I was a kid, I didn't know from Ramones, but I wanted a Jaguar in the worst way and got one later. I never even thought of the blue guitar again until I saw it on the web. We compared serials and marks and at least I know it survives in care. The last one was an unknown vintage, beat to hell Les Paul when I didn't have a guitar. But I did have 4 wide ovals brand new mounted on Krager mags that I was going to eventually put on some car. He wanted the wheels, I wanted the LP. I never even plugged it in as I didn't have an amp after liquidating all my gear in a divorce. It could have been a great one for all I know, and all I know is that it was ugly and beat to hell.

The '62 Jazzmaster I let go for couch-cushion money in the mid 90s still brings cold sweats too.

That reminds me of my '63 Jazzmaster. I sold it when I was 16 to gather funds to buy a new PRS Custom. At the time, it seemed like the logical thing to do - a PRS being the Swiss Army knife of guitars, could do anything. It didn't take too long for me to realize that was a mistake. The PRS served me well for a lot of years, but it never really did much for me.

Anything you all did before 1980 is forgiven...nobody really knew any better.

I never made any gear mistakes, I wish I could say that about my real estate decisions.

Had on of the first lone star strats--incredible guitar. Sold it. Dangit. Had literally the first US jaguar reissue. Sold it as the bridge was a pain. Dangit. Had a bizarre fender mahagony, chambered short-scale tele that had something akin to dynas in it--can't remember what it was called. Great guitar though. Sold it. Dangit. Sold an early Furch acoustic. Dangit. Broke a Martin D28, and damaged severely a setzer and rhh that I loved. Sold them. Dangit.

When I think about them all I almost can't deal with myself.

K

Just sold a house to get out from under it. Lost some money-making don't get me started, actually.

Anything you all did before 1980 is forgiven...nobody really knew any better.

– Twangmeisternyc

Agree, 100%!

Actually I had never heard the words "GUITAR" and "COLLECTOR" used together in a sentence before early/middle 1990's. My train of thought would have been...."Why COLLECT guitars? Just play 'em" "What if I were a piano player...?"

My cousin collected pianos. Unfortunately, he could not grab his favorite when the house caught on fire.

My only regret is not dropping out of college and using my tuition money too buy those four 59 Les Paul's at Guitar Trader for 3K each

When my grandmother died, we found a box in the attic labeled "lengths of string too short to save." Sure enough, that's what was in it. It runs in the family. - Proteus

That made me smile ear to ear.

We would've gotten along just fine.

Texas guitar show 92' or 93'.

The "Dark Eyes" 6120 was on the table for $4500.00 with the COA letter etc. Guitar Emporium brought it to the show.

Timm told me I should buy it. I waked around the floor and was mulling it over. It wasn't a 6120 I could "play" with my band. But it was cool.

i went back and it was sold.

My friend Eliot bought it for 4K.

You all know the rest of the story.

Whatever you sold in the last couple years, or will sell in the next few years, you'll wish you had back "25" years from now, if you are still around.

Addendum: Insert random year "20" or above in " " slot.

...------

I don’t sell anything anymore. Although I did give away an early 60’s Crestline Pacemaker a few months ago.

I used to walk all the Mission Street pawn shops in the late 70's early 80's in San Francisco looking for cool instruments and found a tele for super cheap. I never really bonded with it so it just sat in the garage for a decade or so. In the 90's I wanted a "jazz guitar" so I traded that 1974 telecaster straight across for a new-ish Korean Epiphone Emperor. A fairly nice $400 guitar...

I remember the guy I traded with being unusually excited about the deal.

Had on of the first lone star strats--incredible guitar. Sold it. Dangit. Had literally the first US jaguar reissue. Sold it as the bridge was a pain. Dangit. Had a bizarre fender mahagony, chambered short-scale tele that had something akin to dynas in it--can't remember what it was called. Great guitar though. Sold it. Dangit. Sold an early Furch acoustic. Dangit. Broke a Martin D28, and damaged severely a setzer and rhh that I loved. Sold them. Dangit.

When I think about them all I almost can't deal with myself.

K

– Konrad

The Fender sounds like a Telesonic. I don't need, but definitely want one of these!

Oh yeah, forgot about the Gretsch 6156 amp for $150 at Ziggies in the mid-90s.

In the late 90's, I had an H51 Harmony Achtop w/ a P13 from the 1950's . . . I may have paid $300 for it. The neck was a baseball bat and the turner buttons were beginning to crack and crumble, but it sounded awesome. I traded it for a Gibson ES120. I kind of wish I would have kept it, as it would have definitely scratched my ES125 itch.

YES--it was a TELESONIC!

And I loved it.

And I sold it.

And as God is my witness, I do not know why.

K

I managed to have good luck with not parting with nice gear. Everything I've let go has been crap...but...I had a friend give up a Blackface Deluxe Reverb (65 I think)...when he couldn't make rent. I tried to scrape up enough money so he could sell it to me and then buy it back when he had the cash but couldn't make it happen.

heartbreaking.

Traded an early Travis Bean for an almost mediocre 76 blond LP. Traded the only Gretsch I have ever owned, an older to very old Chet for a Tele and some floor speakers, some of the very worst trades I ever made,

But the worst of all was a few years back while in Cooperstown, we were spending a nice afternoon at the hall of fame after lunch, close to home it is. Well the worst trade I ever made was, I traded my wife for a bat,

Some of my friends thought it a good trade.

Register Sign in to join the conversation