Miscellaneous Rumbles

From Levi to Gibson

This will be interesting, first order of business.... a denim Les Paul...

Each time he says Levi's substitute Gibson, we'll see.

Pompous clown. I hope he gets trench foot.

The guy talks like a CEO. So Levi's are made of plastic now? I could see Gibson do that.

I'm a little slow. I didn't make the connection til I got the email from Reverb. So this guy is the new Henry, eh? Geeze. Where's the eyeroll emoticon when you need it?

He seems like one of those dooods that want you to EMbrace the change.

Hard to imagine that things could actually get worse.

IMO, just another "Brand Bandit". He's probably already thought how he can "sell" guitars to folks in jeans.

Just what Gibson needs. NOT

I'm all jacked up for the positive collision on the modern frontier! I can't wait to get my new pair of Levi's made from recycled garbage.

EDIT : Holy SG Batman! This guy's taking Henry's place at Gibson? I'm saddened to know that! Who knows, maybe........ just when I thought it was safe to buy a Gibson again.

Sweet, "new Shrink To Fit Les Paul, soak it in the bath for that made to measure feel".

Him getting on stage while singing that bit of "revolution" was painfully cringeworthy. The rest of it, standard business/branding babble, no? I can't focus on something like that for more than 25 seconds.

I wouldn't mind some of the dude's self-confidence every so often though.

Scared rabbits made this decision, unable to see beyond standard 21st-century brand-marketing-and-leverage biz-school status quo.

It could actually get worse.

They drove over to Carter's pretty quick, I wonder if they were buying or selling.

We'll see how it all unfolds, but I can't say I dislike the guy, he seems more intelligent and with it than Henry J. I hope he does a good job, I want another Gibson at some point

They drove over to Carter's pretty quick, I wonder if they were buying or selling.

– Curt Wilson

He looks like Nicolas Cage from Con Air in this pic lol

It's not about guitars.

It's about "business".

Or perhaps "profit" (see my earlier rant somewhere in this thread)

Short term thinker with the same mantra, good for a commodity but much less appreciated in this job. He'll be out in three hopefully there's something left when he takes the job at Hormel.

Granted it's a no win situation for anyone and he's not going to be popular with the current employees. FMIC/Gretsch needs to get their Terada orders in now before the New Gibson takes all the slots.

I'm all jacked up for the positive collision on the modern frontier! I can't wait to get my new pair of Levi's made from recycled garbage.

EDIT : Holy SG Batman! This guy's taking Henry's place at Gibson? I'm saddened to know that! Who knows, maybe........ just when I thought it was safe to buy a Gibson again.

– Wade H

If he's interested in recycling used materials and wants to remain organic, he could invite the country to send him their used toilet paper to make new jeans. With his mindset, that would probably appeal to him, unlike the US Postal Services who would no doubt frown on the concept.

Speaking of recycling and repurposing...

We were in the souvenir shop of our local Provincial Museum yesterday, just browsing around and killing time, when we happened on a line of clothing partially made from recycled plastic shopping bags! The rest was cotton, but I did not get a look at the label to see how much of each.

Looked like cotton, wrinkled like cotton, apparently can be ironed without melting and even in the admitted high-price atmosphere of a museum gift shop, was less than stratospherically priced.

Who knew?

It's not about guitars.

It's about "business".

– wabash slim

I read a book once written by a couple of marketing gurus. At one point they had to save GM somewhere in the seventies or eighties.

So this guy asks the board of directors something in the lines of "GM, what's this business all about?" So they answer it's all about money and profit.

Guy responds: "If it's only about money and profit you should start dealing crack."

Long story short: in the end the business was about cars and the people who buy them.

Scared rabbits made this decision, unable to see beyond standard 21st-century brand-marketing-and-leverage biz-school status quo.

It could actually get worse.

– Proteus

I think you covered everything, Tim.

I also agree with Curt's point that this guy will jump ship in a few years -- 3 years is a good guess, maximum = 5 years.

...first order of business.... a denim Les Paul...

I'm shocked that this doesn't already exist. I'm sure some sort of plasticized denim top wouldn't be that hard to create. It sounds exactly like something that would have come out of the late Henry years. I can just imagine reading the press release, probably touting a partnership with "two iconic American brands - Gibson and Levi's."

Is this the guy responsible for Levi's closing the last of it's American mills?

If so, kiss Gibson goodbye.

*He'll be out in three hopefully there's something left when he takes the job at Hormel.

Curt*

I almost blew coffee out my nose.

I can just imagine reading the press release, probably touting a partnership with "two iconic American brands - Gibson and Levi's."

With a Harley Davidson patch embroidered on the jeans pocket, located on the top, where you store your picks. Three iconic brands.

Surely they can work in Budweiser somehow. Four!

... and for a straight flush, maybe Kodak - in memory of iconic American brands that were too big to fail.

Back to basics I hope. For the love of Pete lower some prices. I feel optimistic about the change.

Register Sign in to join the conversation