Miscellaneous Rumbles

Found this gem in the attic

My grandpa Waymon on his porch in Andalusia, AL circa 1930. Any guesses as to the make/model?

Model 85 Dobro, maybe?

There is an active Facebook resonator guitar group. I bet someone there would know.

What a wonderful photo, your Grandpa was a very dapper gent.

What a wonderful photo, your Grandpa was a very dapper gent.

– Mr Tubs

Thanks Mr. Tubs. It probably wasn't long after this photo that he and my great uncle hitchhiked and rode trains to California, stealing a chicken or two for food along the way. They had some great stories and a hilarious dry Irish wit.

Model 85 Dobro, maybe?

– Mr Tubs

Looks like a match, right down to the three small holes on the body behind the fretboard and the size/placement of the logo. Good eye!

What a treasure of a photo

I love it! Finding a photo like this is a rare thing, and for sure a real treasure. My maternal grandfather was a life long musician, and I'd give a lot to find a picture of him, like this.

That was some cutting-edge gear in 1930, making Waymon a mighty early adopter.

Do you know what kind of music he played on it?

And where is it now?

That was some cutting-edge gear in 1930, making Waymon a mighty early adopter.

Do you know what kind of music he played on it?

And where is it now?

– Proteus

Here's the funny thing, Proteus—I asked my uncle (Waymon's son) about it, and he didn't even know that his dad played guitar. Which led us to wonder if it was simply a prop for the photo that maybe belonged to someone else. (It's hard to tell if he's actually fretting a chord or note with his left hand, further deepening the mystery.) Plus it's the only photo we've ever seen of my grandpa with the instrument.

So as far as what kind of music he played, the whereabouts of the guitar, and whether it was even his, the answers are now lost to the ages. I'll have to just enjoy it for what it is, but there's a certain charm to that.

Great picture of your GandPa Tim, worthy of a frame and space on a wall I’d say, whether or not he was a player.

Register Sign in to join the conversation