Miscellaneous Rumbles

For those members in California …

Stay out of harm's way. I hope that there are not many affected by the fires.

The Hill Fire started 3 minutes from my house. Spent the night watching and listening to emergency alerts on the phone. 50 mile an hour gusts pushed it in the other direction. This is a shot from my front yard. Thank you for your concern.

Dang, More fires? That's so sad. Y'all take care and stay safe.

The Camp fire is hundreds of miles north of SF, near Chico. But the smoke down here is unbelievable. It seems to be blowing straight towards the Bay Area.

The Hill Fire started 3 minutes from my house. Spent the night watching and listening to emergency alerts on the phone. 50 mile an hour gusts pushed it in the other direction. This is a shot from my front yard. Thank you for your concern.

– LarryR

glad youre ok

I work about 25 miles north of SF and the smoke is pretty heavy. It's really awful, my whole area was affected by the fires this time last year. I'm afraid this will be a yearly thing

Smoke is a nasty thing. You don't have to be near the conflagration to have smoke problems. In August, we had smoke in Central Vancouver Island from fires in China!

Yes, the smoke is pretty bad here in SF. My wife's sister and husband bought a house in Chico less than two years ago. It's not looking to good for them.

from a chart i saw on Twitter today, the air quality in SF today was worse than in Beijing. the last few years in CA have been horrific. thanks, internal combustion engines! thank god you're safe, LarryR.

i just saw that the fires have now reached the populated areas of Malibu. i fear this could be worse than the Santa Rosa/Sonoma County fires Fritz mentioned.

This has been a horrible fire season for us! This summer my wife and I were on high alert and prepared to evacuate. We had a friend stay with us a couple months ago, because he was evacuated. Last night our friends, from just outside of Paradise came to stay. They may have lost their home. Other friends who lived in Paradise have lost everything.

The Bay Area is getting hit this time with smoke. All summer we were inundated with smoke around Mt Shasta. Didn’t seem to be a big deal when it was small rural towns affected. Now the Bay Area is suffering and it seems people are paying attention. Suck in that smoke for awhile and maybe you’ll understand that something needs to be done in California. Console friends who have lost everything and maybe you’ll understand.

Not to be negative, but I’m glad a big city gets to suffer VS. the small communities that have struggled to survive. I’ve actually had people tell me I need to move to the big city to avoid the fires?
Time to wake up! Fire doesn’t care where you live. California needs a fleet of fire fighting air craft.

Hope everyone stays safe.

Hanging out in midtown Sacramento today. Pretty bad. Was thinking about driving up to Red Bluff for a show tonight. Nope.

the Paramount lot is now burning.

Knowing that there is little that can be done until they are extinguished or go out in some manner, I wish the best and god speed to those in the paths or even in the smoke..

– LarryR

Stay safe out there Larry!

Good Luck.

they're evacuating Topanga Canyon now.

I hate to see this, year after year. The geography of CA is extensive and varied, and for those of us with just visitor knowledge, it's hard to tell just what's happening where - and who of those we know might be affected.

My daughter lives in San Leandro, south of SF, and my wife talks to her every day - I don't think she's even mentioned the smoke or the fires (maybe to avoid alarming her mother). I see that area's not in present danger, so that's good.

Doesn't make it any better for those who are in harm's way, or for all the acreage and real estate that will be scorched.

California is another world, a place unto itself, with its incredible variety of geography, ecosystem, and demographics - and its rich history and tapestry of sociological, economic, cultural, and artistic movements which have defined America. It's such an all-purpose totem for practically every aspect of the American Dream that we all have myriad connections to it wired in our psyches. But I just don't understand it. I don't belong there.

Ya'll be safe now, y'heah?

this is the view towards Malibu from the Pacific Coast Highway as of 5PM Eastern time.

Last year we were surrounded by the Thomas fire on 3 sides, but other than the terrible smoke we were not affected by it. This year the Hill fire started literally around the corner from my home, but at the moment we are in the clear. But 15 minutes up the hill from us is the Borderline Grill. My son has frequented there, and his best friend was inside during the shooting. He is ok. He also was at the Vegas concert when 59 we're killed. I stopped commuting to Malibu in June. But my old daily route is all in flames and under evacuation. At 35000 acres and zero containment. These are not good times for my neck of the woods. The above photo was my 5 day a week drive.

that's awful. you're really getting it coming and going.

Between the shooting and the fires, it's pretty apocalyptic: terrifying and beautiful in an awe-ful way.

Nothing to say but stay safe and endure.

I just can’t imagine the stress on people there. Positive thoughts sent.

when i still lived in CA we lived in fear of wildfires--one year there was a big one right over the hill from us in Santa Cruz County that would have taken my whole town if the wind hadn't shifted--but it was nowhere near as bad as it's been the last couple of years. the whole 35 years i was in CA i never saw towns burning like Clear Lake did, nor sections of a city as large as Santa Rosa being destroyed.

It’s crazy, just heard Paramount Ranch has burned down. I’ve played several gigs there though the years, really hard to wrap my head around all of this.

Register Sign in to join the conversation