Miscellaneous Rumbles

(for JD)…Got to see UTOPIA in St. Louis last night!

Todd Rundgren's UTOPIA played a show in St. Louis on May 9th...so, naturally, Kim and I had to drive there for the event.

As luck would have it, 1/2 of UTOPIA happens to have severe summer colds...I wish I could say that did not affect anything, but...it did. Todd's voice was very shaky, especially during the first set (having just seen Todd in December, I can attest that it was indeed "the cold"...Todd has zero problems in the vocal department when healthy...especially for a 69 year old guy!) The other member with the cold is new keyboard player, Gil.

In spite of that, they soldiered through, and after a short break mid-show, Todd returned and was somehow able to sing well enough that one may not have noticed he was suffering (you could tell easily in the first set that his voice was cracking).

We had a great time though, and in spite of the vocal issues the band was having fun and did a pretty good job with the material. They even played "I Will Wait", a song I do not recall having ever heard them play before in a live show.

Kim and I did the pre-show Meet-'n'-Greet...got some nice photos, autographs, and memorabilia. Had to be at the venue at 3:30 to get into it.

Here are a few photos...

I forgot to mention, we had pretty good seats...second row, center.

Thanks for the shout out. I couldn't get freed up to go over there, but I'm glad that you guys could.

Colds or not, that had to be a great time, and I'm sure it brought back some memories of some good times.

You lucky dog you!

Lucky bastid!!!! Utopia’s on a par with The Beatles in my world.

I saw Todd with Daryl Hall in Atlantic City a few years back. It was a great show, but his chops are gone. Maybe since then he's got them back.

Still, I love what he did.

They played, “I Will Wait???” Wow, that’s a definite later favorite of mine. I saw two shows on the Oblivion tour and they didn’t do that one then. Vocals on a Utopia gig are no joke, even without a cold. That’s workin’ hard, boy.

I had an Eastwood Blacklund 100 for awhile. Nice enough, but obviously hard to play seated, and in the end the tone was naught special and the looks weren't enough to carry it. Traded it back for a different Eastwood.

I like Todd ok. He doesn't care about me.

I had an Eastwood Blacklund 100 for awhile. Nice enough, but obviously hard to play seated, and in the end the tone was naught special and the looks weren't enough to carry it. Traded it back for a different Eastwood.

I like Todd ok. He doesn't care about me.

– Proteus

"I like Todd ok. He doesn't care about me."

Tim, is there a story about this? lol

Well, saying I like someone "ok" would seem pretty weak and noncommittal to a fan of that someone; I was just noting that my rather bland feelings about TR (I've heard a good bit of his material, like some of it and find some non-compelling to me personally) are still stronger than his about me.

In my world, Todd Rundgren at least exists (even if he is nowhere near its center). In his, I do not.

(I thought to comment in a thread about fans going to TR concerts I should at least acknowledge Todd's career with some (however vague) position on my relative fandom - though it was the peripheral inclusion of the Eastwood guitar in the thread which evoked my only marginally substantive contribution. Like in order to talk about that peripheral topic, I should at least pay rent by nodding toward Todd and his fans.)

(And as I know some Very Fine People who are avid Todd fans - and whose opinions and judgment I respect - when Toddtopics come up I try to figure out why I'm not more of an active Todd fan. I can't come up with a good reason, and of course I'm whipped with guilt about that. But I guess this is unnecessary self-flagellation on my part: I acknowledge Todd's essential value, and would place him far above many other artists in my own musical pantheon, in the very upper echelon of those artists I endorse but don't feel compelled to listen to - whereas Sammy Tubwompus (a major Toddfan) actively and gleefully despises Yes.)

(Maybe I blame Todd a little for that, increasing my ambivalence.)

So, no story.

@Proteus....lol!

We all do not have to all like the same things to the same extent! Todd is about the only artist that I go GaGa over (pun intended). Not sure if I am a "very fine" person...but I am sure that I qualify as an avid Todd Fan...hence, my moniker.

As to the Backlund....when I saw photos of Todd playing one on this tour, I immediately did the "what's that guitar" routine, searched it out, and figured out it was an Eastwood Backlund Model 100 (Kasim also pulled out a Backlund Model 400 in the show).....so, obviously, since Todd played one, I WANTED one.

It was the first guitar the roadie handed to Todd to play, on the first song as the band walked on stage....and, with the very first note, it was horrendously out of tune...Todd spent about a minute or two or three trying to get it in tune enough to play to the "Utopia Theme"....a 15 minute long mostly instrumental tune. Plus, there were other tuning issues with it through the evening.

Me thinks that Todd is playing it more for the visual appeal for this specific show, and I doubt it will be seen after this tour.

Needless to say...I do not think I want one anymore.

Thanks for popping in to my little Todd thread! (wink)

(oh, and as huge of a TR fan as I am...I doubt Todd thinks much about me, either...so, don't lose too much sleep over that)

Well, saying I like someone "ok" would seem pretty weak and noncommittal to a fan of that someone; I was just noting that my rather bland feelings about TR (I've heard a good bit of his material, like some of it and find some non-compelling to me personally) are still stronger than his about me.

In my world, Todd Rundgren at least exists (even if he is nowhere near its center). In his, I do not.

(I thought to comment in a thread about fans going to TR concerts I should at least acknowledge Todd's career with some (however vague) position on my relative fandom - though it was the peripheral inclusion of the Eastwood guitar in the thread which evoked my only marginally substantive contribution. Like in order to talk about that peripheral topic, I should at least pay rent by nodding toward Todd and his fans.)

(And as I know some Very Fine People who are avid Todd fans - and whose opinions and judgment I respect - when Toddtopics come up I try to figure out why I'm not more of an active Todd fan. I can't come up with a good reason, and of course I'm whipped with guilt about that. But I guess this is unnecessary self-flagellation on my part: I acknowledge Todd's essential value, and would place him far above many other artists in my own musical pantheon, in the very upper echelon of those artists I endorse but don't feel compelled to listen to - whereas Sammy Tubwompus (a major Toddfan) actively and gleefully despises Yes.)

So, no story.

– Proteus

I always love reading the work of a real writer, me not being one. This condition you describe I'm sure is a universal one: appreciating the talents/work of some artist but acknowledging that it doesn't do a thing for you. There should be a word for that. Something that connotes a little more respect than, "meh."

So, no story.

– Proteus

Hold yer taters thar, Protelicious.

I don’t despise Yes. Haha! You and I merely have Yes and Utopia reversed in order of our respective fandoms.

(Pretend that was an erudite, articulate, and witty response that was on a par with what a response to Proteus actually SHOULD be, will ya?)

I like Todd.

When he trims and files his pinky fingernail on his left hand before a Show, more knowledge about Music and being in the Music Business is lost than I will ever have...

Dang Tim, I thought that maybe you ran up on stage with Sammy, screaming Todd is god, and they gently rolled you out the door. Meanwhile, Sammy did a drum roll on Willy's drums, and the show went on. LOL

Now that I know there weren't any "memorable moments", I understand what you were saying.

Register Sign in to join the conversation