Miscellaneous Rumbles

Foods You Liked as a Kid, but…

If you feel like participating, how about listing foods you loved as a kid, but now, no way!

For me, it's easy...

Swine and milk--I can't stand either now.

Also, add beef kidneys--for some reason, I remember eating them as a kid, but the thought now makes me gag.

How 'bout you?

Addendum: I looooove cereal, but since I don't drink milk anymore, I haven't had cereal for about 20 years now. I miss my Sugar Pops!

...------

About the time I hit my teens, I found that I couldn't drink milk anymore. Apparently, lactose intolerance (damned cows!) runs in the family. My brother and I would go thru a half gallon of real whole milk a day. The worst part is that I truly love buttermilk. Unfortunately, I'd wind up spending the next day or two on the toilet in pain.

I prefer beef. I can deal with pork, but bird is my Kryptonite. I can deal with white meat, but anything else is off my menu. Fish---I can eat mild fish, but anything else is too much protein at one time for my system. I like it, but it doesn't like me.

Candy.

Cereal.

Cakes and Pies.

Beer, wine and whiskey.

Spaghetti-Ohs.

Peanut butter.

Fluffenutter.

Hot and spicy anything, except horseradish.

Wonderbread.

Government Cheese.

Taco Bell "meat".

Vienna Sausages. (not really sausages, not from Vienna)

Braunschweigert (sp)

Cold cereal in Milk. I can eat it dry, as a snack but won't add milk anymore.

Liver and onions, loved liver as a kid but after seeing a cows liver in a meat packing plant I can no longer eat it! And oysters, used to eat them but the older I got the less I liked the taste!

Candy, cake with frosting, soda pop, pretty much sugar in general. With the exception of a slice of stellar blueberry pie.

Things I hated as a kid and still do: liver, stuffed bell peppers, eggplant in any form, Lima beans, bologna and oysters.

I like that Crowbone liked beer, wine and whiskey as a kid but no longer does. Good move.

I no longer enjoy anything from McDonalds, except for an occasional Egg McMuffin and once a decade, an apple pie. I don't even like their fries now.

I no longer enjoy anything sour.

As a kid, I'd eat raw tomatoes, raw celery, raw carrots, french fries, popcorn, hard boiled eggs, steak, and roast beef - all completely drenched in salt. I still enjoy all of these, but haven't used a salt shaker on any food in over 40 years.

I can't eat bad pizza any more. Whoever said that there is no such thing as bad pizza was just wrong or has never had good pizza. There is far more bad pizza out there than good. Same thing with Chinese food.

i used to love really sugary cereal: Frosted Flakes, Sugar Pops, Froot Loops, Cocoa Krispies, Trix, Quisp. now the only cereal i can eat is Rice Krispies and spoonsize shredded wheat, and i've pretty much burned myself out on those too.

Me too with the sugary cereals. Now it’s only Cheerios. When i’v been a good boy, I’ll sprinkle some Honey Nut Cheerios on top, but that’s all the sweet I can tolerate any more.

Never found a food I didn't like, but I wouldn't order pickled jelly fish again. Had it at a "real" Chinese dinner I was treated to from someone I taught to fly.

Vienna Sausages. (not really sausages, not from Vienna)

Braunschweigert (sp)

Cold cereal in Milk. I can eat it dry, as a snack but won't add milk anymore.

– Suprdave

Funny.. Vienna sausage are in Vienna called Frankfurter and are real sausages Braunschweiger does exist in Austria, Germany and in the US but everywhere its something different although it has the same name https://en.m.wikipedia.org/...

If you feel like participating, how about listing foods you loved as a kid, but now, no way!

For me, it's easy...

Swine and milk--I can't stand either now.

Also, add beef kidneys--for some reason, I remember eating them as a kid, but the thought now makes me gag.

How 'bout you?

Addendum: I looooove cereal, but since I don't drink milk anymore, I haven't had cereal for about 20 years now. I miss my Sugar Pops!

...------

– indianation65

Almond Milk, Cashew Milk and Coconut Milk all work very nicely on cereal. No lactose, no hormones, plenty of vitamins and protein.

Macaroni and Cheese, Fish Sticks, Barbecued (or any other kind of) chicken, sausage, hot dogs, hamburgers, Oreo cookies, and Necco wafers are all things I loved as a kid, but no more.

I no longer enjoy anything from McDonalds, except for an occasional Egg McMuffin and once a decade, an apple pie. I don't even like their fries now.

I no longer enjoy anything sour.

As a kid, I'd eat raw tomatoes, raw celery, raw carrots, french fries, popcorn, hard boiled eggs, steak, and roast beef - all completely drenched in salt. I still enjoy all of these, but haven't used a salt shaker on any food in over 40 years.

I can't eat bad pizza any more. Whoever said that there is no such thing as bad pizza was just wrong or has never had good pizza. There is far more bad pizza out there than good. Same thing with Chinese food.

– beatbyrd

Flour and sugar products and soda. If I eat them 50 lbs up. Off them 50 lbs down. Been off a year now. Still eat fruit sugars though.

Beatbyrd, this is for you. A record I played on called, "Life's too short to eat cheap pizza"......

Anything my Mother cooked as a kid, I had know idea how awful a cook she was, I'm surprised I survived.

I so wish this was a joke, it's not.

Sweets of any type. I might have a halloween candy sized bar once a year.

Breakfast cereal. Goes back to the sweets thing and I find it hilarious that it is even considered a meal. It's pretty much just a bowl of cookies.

Yeah and milk. The idea of sitting down to a glass of milk is revolting to me.

I remember my mother making us eat lots of "Hamburger Helper" type boxed stuff in the 70's. There is no way I would do that now.

Anything my Mother cooked as a kid, I had know idea how awful a cook she was, I'm surprised I survived.

I so wish this was a joke, it's not.

– Mr Tubs

Right?!?

I didn't think I liked beef as a kid. Turns out my Mom just really overcooked really bad cuts. Grey, mealy and tough is what I thought a steak was until I was an adult.

She would serve "steaks" like that along side canned peas and a box of "potatoes au gratin" and wonder why I never ate much. If it was a fresh potato it was quartered, boiled and served with a dollop of Greggs margarine as the only seasoning

I like that Crowbone liked beer, wine and whiskey as a kid but no longer does. Good move. -powdog

That doesn't mean I don't imbibe, I just don't enjoy the taste, which means I drink a whole lot less.

Flour and sugar products and soda. If I eat them 50 lbs up. Off them 50 lbs down. Been off a year now. Still eat fruit sugars though.

Beatbyrd, this is for you. A record I played on called, "Life's too short to eat cheap pizza"......

– LarryR

Hahahaha... Cool tune. Thanks for posting.

Yes, despite what you've been told, there IS bad pizza. And bad sex too, but that's a whole different thread.

Funny.. Vienna sausage are in Vienna called Frankfurter and are real sausages Braunschweiger does exist in Austria, Germany and in the US but everywhere its something different although it has the same name https://en.m.wikipedia.org/...

– ChimingBell

That's interesting about Braunschweiger ( why did I put a T on the end?) I know that any Wurst will be MUCH better in europe and mostly Germany. I think the stuff they sell here is Liver sausage. I can't believe I ever ate that stuff. Seriously? There are actually Vienna sausages? Whoda thunk?

A side note. I hated Oranges and Tomatoes, when I was a kid but loved Tomato juice and Tomato soup and also loved Orange juice. I still love one of my favorite childhood snacks, Nilla wafers. I don't buy then very often, though.

I’ve sadly only ever widened my culinary horizons. I think I’m going off barbecue sauces, though, which is odd.

I was such a picky eater as a kid that there was no direction to go but expansion. But crowbone hit on one for me - Taco Bell. About once every year or so when I'm traveling for work, I'll give it a try. It's just horrendous.

My daughter, from the age of about 3 to 8, absolutely loved mussels in white wine garlic broth. She could pound down a huge bowl of mussels and a cone of frites like it was nothing.

I thought that was a bit unusual for a little kid. But she's been off them for the last few years. Maybe overdid it, or maybe evolving tastes.

Similar to Nick45, I think I've only added to the list of foods that I enjoy.

Good on your daughter, Afire! She has (or had) sophisticated food tastes for a youngster.

And . . . why the dislike of milk? What else would you drink, when washing down a fresh-from-the-oven chocolate chip cookie, or a brownie?

I’ve got stomach and GI problems as an adult. Sodas and spicy things are off the menu. Eating sweets makes me feel gross too. Never had too much of a craving for the stuff. I could never eat chocolate again and be just fine. I miss medium temp salsa.

I swore off fast food in 1983. For the last 20 years I've lived a half block from a Burger King, and I've never been in it. Still won't eat brussel sprouts or cabbage soup (the latter the only food I got sent to bed hungry for not wanting to eat). When I was a kid, I put sugar on everything: Wheaties, pancakes, french toast, etc.. I've now had the same 2 lb. box in my pantry for 29 years.

Register Sign in to join the conversation