Miscellaneous Rumbles

FMIC to begin using pau ferro in place of rosewood.

I read that FMIC is going to use Pau Ferro for all fretboards on their guitars being made in Mexico. Though this isn't effecting the Gretsch line yet, I imagine it will in the foreseeable future. I happen to like Pau Ferro guitars and fretboards, it had been an "upgrade" exotic wood before CITES changed the classification of rosewood to "Appendix II – This appendix contains species that are at risk in the wild, but not necessarily threatened with extinction. Species in this appendix are closely regulated, but are typically not as restricted as Appendix I". Marketing is a fickle availability driven abstract, now instead of being an upgrade, it's going to be a standard fretboard material on Mexican made Fender guitars. It's apparently becoming ridiculosely restrictive (for obvious reasons) to sell guitars, made with any amount of rosewood, across international borders. I am curious about this community's opinion of Pau Ferro fretboards (and bridge bases), and if anyone thinks it would affect the performance of Gretsch guitars.

It has to happen. It will make no sonic difference anyone can prove - and it won't matter if it does.

I'm looking for sustainable Indiana alternatives to rosewood for bridge bases myself, as getting and shipping rosewood is an issue for Tru-Arc.

We have to live in the world we live in.

It has to happen. It will make no sonic difference anyone can prove - and it won't matter if it does.

I'm looking for sustainable Indiana alternatives to rosewood for bridge bases myself, as getting and shipping rosewood is an issue for Tru-Arc.

– Proteus

Great insights Proteus, "for the times they are a changing".

I have a thread on this forum of the "extreme" makeover I did on a G3155 Gretsch Streamliner. I put a Pao Ferro fretboard on this guitar and I love it. For what it is worth, Pal Ferro was a favortie of Stevie Ray Vaughn which certainly influenced my choice when I had to change out my fretboard. I say run with it!

I think SRV inspired a lot of us to try Pau Ferro fretboards, I like the feel. I find no appreciable tone differences, though some will argue that there is, for me the difference is favorably tactile. I did research the reasons why rosewood is becoming endangered, furniture makers are the largest contributing factor in the equation. They use the bulk of the available resources. You can make a whole lot of fretboards out of the wood used to make a single wardrobe.

Also known as morado, it can be very nice looking! The grain contrast shows up more than you generally see on fretboards but I liked it quite a bit on a Music Man bass I used to have. I'm a little surprised it is more plentiful than IRW for the reason Wade stated above. I'd think furniture makers would gobble this up too. I think it used to be a more expensive wood.

Necessity IS the mother of invention. Isn’t it?

Or is it laziness........

– Proteus

Would walnut work? There seems to be a lot in NC, I'd imagine in your neck of the woods it isn't much different. I got a couple hundred board feet from a storm a year ago drying in my barn as we speak. I'm going to build a brown deluxe and case it in finished walnut as the 4/4 boards are dry enough to work at this point.

I read that walnut has been used on dulcimers and limited use on guitars. It apparently doesn't wear as well as ebony and rosewood (and rosewood type) woods.

This is the piece of Pao Ferro I put on my Streamliner project a few years ago. When I ordered it the gentleman was nice enough to sort through and pick out some nice grain.

I really like how it turned out.

Trees are like weeds, plant them and they will grow. The issue isn’t all over harvesting for commercial use it’s the practice of or belief that you have to clear cut or burn many acres annually to farm.

Here in America we are at the end stages of losing every ash tree and apparently there was no way to stop it. Same thing happened with chestnut but thankfully people are starting to grow chestnut trees. Remember Dutch Elm disease?

Wood is a renewable resource that should never be wasted or abused but taxing it isn’t the answer ownership and growth is.

The super huge ash tree in front of the schoolhouse has to come down because of the beetle, sad thing to have to happen.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/...

Trees are like weeds, plant them and they will grow. The issue isn’t all over harvesting for commercial use it’s the practice of or belief that you have to clear cut or burn many acres annually to farm.

Here in America we are at the end stages of losing every ash tree and apparently there was no way to stop it. Same thing happened with chestnut but thankfully people are starting to grow chestnut trees. Remember Dutch Elm disease?

Wood is a renewable resource that should never be wasted or abused but taxing it isn’t the answer ownership and growth is.

The super huge ash tree in front of the schoolhouse has to come down because of the beetle, sad thing to have to happen.

– Curt Wilson

I wondered what happened to that Tree. I had seen it in pictures of the Re Modeling project . It was beautiful.

– Curt Wilson

I wondered what happened to that Tree. I had seen it in pictures of the Re Modeling project . It was beautiful.

Until I recently saw this announcement with the news that the new Player Series is replacing the MIM Standards, I thought Pau Ferro was one of the dudes on Hawaii 5-0.

– Curt Wilson

That’s a shame. The tree is so synonymous with the building.

That’s a shame. The tree is so synonymous with the building.

– Baba Joe

The goal going forward is that it doesn't kill someone or destroy the building. The county owns the tree so I'm not allowed to touch it but they can't remove it for a year they say. When I asked how he would feel if it crushed a car killing the family inside and taking out all power to both sides of town for a week all he did was look at his feet.

Understood. Gotta do what ya gotta do.

Perhaps if the fate of that potential family wasn’t moving enough, the town could better understand the potential consequences from an economic and public relations perspective should the tree meet an untimely ending whether it be harm to a person or to your building and/ or business. Somehow I suspect that looking at his feet was not your final answer . If it must be, then maybe sending the town periodic emails or letters documenting your concerns and dates of notice might at least put the tree on their radar. Good luck.

This is the piece of Pao Ferro I put on my Streamliner project a few years ago. When I ordered it the gentleman was nice enough to sort through and pick out some nice grain.

– Sarah93003

Sarah, that fretboard looks fantastic!

If they can make a fretboard out of compressed chocolate and hazelnuts, it would be "Pau Ferrero Rocher"... Don't know how long it would last, but you could eat it if you wished.

I'm still not understanding the situation with Gretsch guitars with rosewood fingerboards. Assuming that FMIC has a license to bring guitars with rosewood into the USA and Canada, what happens when I want to cross the border with one of those guitars? I don't have a CITES license for the rosewood in my 6120DS.

I'm still not understanding the situation with Gretsch guitars with rosewood fingerboards. Assuming that FMIC has a license to bring guitars with rosewood into the USA and Canada, what happens when I want to cross the border with one of those guitars? I don't have a CITES license for the rosewood in my 6120DS.

– Journeyman

Technically you need to pay the tax and get the certificate.

– Journeyman

As long as you're not selling guitars, contact your local CITES authority and get a passport for your guitar. That covers it.

– Sarah93003

Very nice job Sarah, you breathed a whole new life back into your guitar. Nicely done!

– Journeyman

I found this CITES explanation for travel with a personal instrument, that is not intended to be sold. I copied it, and unless it has been superceded, here it is : "May 19, 2017 · You can travel with your guitar freely as long as you don't have over 10kg (22lbs) of rosewood and other regulated materials found in appendix II". I also found further citing in this post explaining "traveling with a guitar, with a rosewood fretboard in 2018", in a resent posting made by Andertons Music UK : https://www.andertons.co.uk... Click on "How This Affects You".

Register Sign in to join the conversation