Miscellaneous Rumbles

Fly Eagles Fly!!

OK since nobody brought it up...... One very happy camper here after the Super Bowl last night! Having grown up in Philadelphia, I've been an Eagles fan for about 60 years. So it has been a looooooong wait.

For a viewer who had no strong cares about which team won, it must have been a LOT of fun to watch. For a die-hard Eagles fan, it was nerve-wracking!

This one says it all!

That was a 6 Yuengling game...and a shot or two.

I hear ya, Dan! Was great to FINALLY get that! Go Birds!!

With no stake in the outcome I must say it was fun to watch. Congrats to Philly fans.Worst commercials and halftime show ever though IMO.

I grew up in N. Wilmington...great Win for the Eagles!

NBC needs to corral their Sports Announcers...Chris Collingsworth is now the Johnny Miller of Football.

Bores me senseless for added second-guessing drama when we are all watching the same thing at the same time...just shut up, go to Commercial.

Great game, and so happy to be in Philly last night. It was nuts, but fun, like new year's eve

I grew up in N. Wilmington...great Win for the Eagles!

NBC needs to corral their Sports Announcers...Chris Collingsworth is now the Johnny Miller of Football.

Bores me senseless for added second-guessing drama when we are all watching the same thing at the same time...just shut up, go to Commercial.

– Twangmeisternyc

I could not agree more! No idea why, but Chris Collingsworth has been EXTREMELY anti-Philadelphia teams for so many years..... Most of the time if NBC is broadcasting games I turn off the sound and listen via WIP.

Collingsworth's agonizing endlessly over Zach Ertz's touchdown was especially frustrating. He caught the ball, took three steps and then dove into the end zone. NFL rules -- if a receiver takes TWO steps, he is a runner and the convoluted "what is a catch" rules do not apply. Ertz clearly took THREE steps, which is why the officials ruled (after viewing several times) that it was a TD. What is so hard to understand? NBC needs to either get rid of him or ban him from broadcasting Eagles' games.

It's just stupid...I hear my voice, it sounds so good delivering gibberish...maybe next year I can get a bigger deal from NBC!

I would hope Comcast, from Philly, gives this some thought...it doesn't sell well.

I used to see them play at Franklin Field way back when. I was even at the infamous "Santa Claus" game, Dec. 1968. It was obvious those snowballs were being thrown out of frustration for a team that crawled to a 2-12 season.

They've been NFC champs and they've had some damn good seasons, but they've more often been almost-rans, heartbreakers and losers... often beating themselves more than getting beat.

But this season was different. This team is different. And last night, the culmination, wiped all the old mediocrity away.

They were amazing. They played like champions. And they beat Brady.

The 50 yard line seats at Franklin Field were the best, the Vet seats were the worst!

I agree about the commercials being quite poor compared to previous years and the half time show pathetic. and pathetic because it was all about flash, dazzle and a whole shitload of people jumping around on the stage. I'm old fashioned and want to hear a singer SINGING!!!. What a concept!

I found the game itself highly entertaining as I enjoy offense, not a defensive struggle by both teams.......soccer fans pay attention!!

Philly was full measure for the win, however there were several plays that had they gone the other way, primarily for NE, could've changed the outcome. Three come to mind with two on the field and one on the sidelines. Cooks leaving the game early with a concussion was bad enough but not putting Butler in on offense compounded their receiving woes. And Brady dropping, or rather not trying hard enough to stretch for that catch could've been a game changer.

As for the pass play vs running play as regards breaking the plane of the goal line, it's simply moronic that the same rule doesn't apply equally: if the player has control of the ball and breaks the plane it's a touchdown, regardless of whether from a run or a pass. I also liked the old rule that as long as the player has control, the ground cannot cause a fumble or disallow a touchdown.

I've been a diehard Pats fan since the 70's. The New England defense was exposed last night and it cost my team the game. So, congrats to the Eagles for both of their incredible playoff victories (NE & Minnesota). The Philly coach correctly showed a lot of confidence in his team and called aggressive games for both. I don't think that Foles is an elite QB, but he got the job done in the postseason.

I get a kick out of the media knocking Brady, the coaches, the team, etc. and talking about 'end of the dynasty', 'will Bill retire?', 'will Gronk retire?', 'is Brady's spirit broken?', and on and on. I get it - 90% of the country hates the Pats and are happy with their defeat. Last year they had the greatest SB comeback in history and Brady got Ring #5. My anguish this year is nothing compared to the ecstasy of last year's game. Looks like Ring #6 (and 7?) will have to wait for a year or two. Like Arnold, they'll be baaaack.

Once again, congrats to Philly. You earned and deserved the trophy.

I don't think that Foles is an elite QB, but he got the job done in the postseason. beatbyrd

I agree on both counts. The man had "career best" games and was deserving of the MVP recognition. However -- looking at a "big picture", Foles has had two great games in the last 4 years.

Rumors are starting to fly about other "needy" teams (Jets??) making huge offers (like a first round draft pick) for Foles. The Jets (and others?) need to think..... Foles' 2 great games came with an excellent offensive line, 3 very good running backs and a bunch of excellent receivers. How would he perform on a team with NONE of those assets.....??

I don't think that Foles is an elite QB, but he got the job done in the postseason. beatbyrd

I agree on both counts. The man had "career best" games and was deserving of the MVP recognition. However -- looking at a "big picture", Foles has had two great games in the last 4 years.

Rumors are starting to fly about other "needy" teams (Jets??) making huge offers (like a first round draft pick) for Foles. The Jets (and others?) need to think..... Foles' 2 great games came with an excellent offensive line, 3 very good running backs and a bunch of excellent receivers. How would he perform on a team with NONE of those assets.....??

– senojnad

Not sure what free agency will do to the Eagles.

I understand that Foles had a pedestrian game (win) against a hapless Giants, followed by two pretty crappy regular season losing games. Fortunately, they had a bye week during the wild card games and the Philly coaches retooled the offense to Foles' style, which enabled those great showings. I think that the Jets are kidding themselves if they think that all they need is a run of the mill QB, but if they want to shell out the money, go for it. The Pats are in the same division and will probably beat the Jets twice next year (again).

I'll take the bet that Foles stays with the Eagles. For a "Backup", he has a great contract. I think the Eagles can afford to keep him. I would guess he knows he is in a great place to become a legend, too.

I'll take the bet that Foles stays with the Eagles. For a "Backup", he has a great contract. I think the Eagles can afford to keep him. I would guess he knows he is in a great place to become a legend, too.

– Twangmeisternyc

I agree. Nick Foles comes from a wealthy family and is now (and next year) making $7.5 million per year. His long range goal is to become a pastor after football.

So why take on tons of stress to go to another team where there is less talent and lots more pressure?

I'm a life-long Minnesota Vikings fan, and yes, the "Curse" hurts Vikes fans once again.

I hate losing, freakin' hate it...even more than winning.

However, what I hate even more is seeing cowboys, packers or patriots win.

I'm no Eagles fan, but I loathe NE. The only thing satisfying about this latest Super Bowl was seeing NE lose. Congratulations Philadelphia. I'm sure it feels good to finally win.

...------

It runs in cycles. From 1976 to 2001, NE was like the current Cleveland Browns and I was a loyal, but constantly dejected fan. The waiting paid off.

Since 2001, NE has not been the team for anyone who hates winning.

Next year, I'd like to see NE versus SF in the SB --- OB1 versus Luke Skywalker.

Register Sign in to join the conversation