Miscellaneous Rumbles

Fingers, Nuts, strings and recording woes.

Dave, I just listened to it again. Am I correct that the lead vocals were double-tracked? What vocal effects were used? Was your vocal compressed?

Your lead guitarist is a good player. He gets interesting tones, almost a pinched note sound at times. If I were in your band, I would challenge him to create lead parts that were more singable, if you know what I mean. I think that some of the most memorable lead parts from iconic rock songs have lead breaks that you can actually sing as you listen to it. I like those melodic lead parts and find myself always trying to play lead in that style, rather than just regurgitating licks that I may have learned along the way. With the luxury of time, a lead guitarist can simply sit down and craft the lead part to carry a melody. Think of a song like, "Maybe I'm Amazed." You can sing back every note in that break, most likely. I think that that adds to the strength of a song.

Again, good job on this one.

Great feedback, Bob. I agree on more melodic leads and he and I have had that discussion. I get that look and then he says "but that's not me, that's not how I play." It's hard to argue, since he has the chops. He cut his teeth on Metallica and CCR but he leans more towards the Metallica edge. He has also helped me by suggesting many changes in song structure as I would bring a song to the band so he has other strengths as well. He's also young, compared to me. I'm 54 and he's 33 and plays one of those darned pointy guitars.

The vocals are sang twice and doubled a bit and there is some type of effect and I'm sure some compression. I think they turned out pretty well and didn't make me sound too digitized. There's no auto-tune though. On the chorus there are two other backup singers helping.

I like when the other vocals join in with you. It seemed as though the first one was merely a vocal an octave below you, and then the next time around there was a harmony thrown in to boot.

As for the lead guitar part, again, that was just my observation. He definitely is a good player. I simply think that there is always a risk that a lead part can become merely a bag of notes that doesn't really say anything. Tell him to go listen to Joe Walsh or Eric Clapton or any of the guys who are the respected players. Their lead parts usually tell a melodic story of their own independent from the song's melody. And that usually serves to strengthen the song overall.

Yes, that was my goal with the vocals. Build on the chorus as the song progressed. The third verse chorus adjustment worked out nicely with the 9th. This one is leaving with a smile, so far.

Bob, I know what you're saying and at one point it used to annoy the heck out of me about trying to get him to play more melodic leads but it just wasn't in the cards. On our first album he did a lead on one of our songs that just stood out so well, it didn't matter so we just quit arguing with him about it and I try to give everyone in the band their own artistic wings and even made the statement that this isn't a Suprdave album with other guys playing, it's TDC and I want everyone's opinions and objections and for it to be a band project.

Here's the TDC song that Ross kills the lead on from our first CD. The Bassist and Drummer are not with the current line up.

So, a week or so ago, our drummer was backing his Harley into it's spot in the garage and it took a tumble. He went to pick it up and tore his bicep from it's tendon. Luckily all of his parts are done but if we were to finish this project, we couldn't gig until he's healed. Our first project took around a year to finish. It's looking like this one may too, now. We named that Cd "It's about time." this one will be called "I believe it's Time."

Yeah, I just came here to whine.

So, a week or so ago, our drummer was backing his Harley into it's spot in the garage and it took a tumble. He went to pick it up and tore his bicep from it's tendon. Luckily all of his parts are done but if we were to finish this project, we couldn't gig until he's healed. Our first project took around a year to finish. It's looking like this one may too, now. We named that Cd "It's about time." this one will be called "I believe it's Time."

Yeah, I just came here to whine.

– Suprdave

That sucks. Now you'll have to learn some Def Leppard.

Register Sign in to join the conversation