Miscellaneous Rumbles

Favorite vocal mic?

I like my Shure Super 55 Deluxe - It sounds much better than my SM58 and makes me feel cool while singing (lol). Actually that kind of inspiration really does help me sing out more. It's a solid mic, nothing fancy and it feels bulletproof. The only things I don't like about it, no ON/OFF switch and no quick release for handheld use.

– BirdsNBats

Atlas makes a quick release set up that'd work on these. Most mikes don't have an on/off switch, and we found that on the ones that do we had to bypass them as people unused to working with mikes would always fidget with them and kill them at the worst time. You could probably rig up a special connector with a switch, but it seems unnecessary. If I'm not mistaken, the new issue of the 55's have SM57 capsule in them, not the original carbon type.

Any interest here on the SE Electronics mics? I use both the condenser and ribbon models and like them. Apart from the stupid rubbery coating. Mine looks like it's been through a swamp

Atlas makes a quick release set up that'd work on these. Most mikes don't have an on/off switch, and we found that on the ones that do we had to bypass them as people unused to working with mikes would always fidget with them and kill them at the worst time. You could probably rig up a special connector with a switch, but it seems unnecessary. If I'm not mistaken, the new issue of the 55's have SM57 capsule in them, not the original carbon type.

– wabash slim

the Shure 55SH series II models used the SM48 cartridge, and the 55 Super Deluxe models use the Beta 58 capsule. Shure sells upgrade cartridges to bring the 55SH Series II models up to the new spec!

TLM103's are good for recording. I used to always use a 57 for live, but they're too fussy about preamp impedances when it has to be plugged into someone else's sound gear. Since everything went to IC opamps in the 70's, there are no specific impedances anymore. A lot of people are just taking the transformers out of their 57's, and going straight into the board. That sounds better with a lot of modern gear, but 57's really need their own dedicated preamp these days to make them work for vocal mics.

– Billy Zoom

57s sound great through Cloudlifter Z preamps!

57s sound great through Cloudlifter Z preamps!

– Daniel Weldon

So you buy an $89 mic and use a $400 pre amp to make it sound good?

Any interest here on the SE Electronics mics? I use both the condenser and ribbon models and like them. Apart from the stupid rubbery coating. Mine looks like it's been through a swamp

– Vince_Ray

Hey Vince, I use the large diaphragm SE 2200 A (silver version; cardioid pattern only) for vocal recording and I like it a lot.

Here's the SOS review: https://www.soundonsound.co...

On the whole, the main thing I care about is whether the recording sits in the mix ok. So if its a cheap or expensive mic isn't the main issue. All a bit abstract. And it varies according to whatever else is alongside it of course. And I have this bother.....I mic up amps, I try condenser, dynamics, ribbons (yes, all mics aren't born equal I know).....but nothing beats the direct out from my Fender Vibro Champ XD. I have an upgraded speaker, I try moving the mics around, I try cloudlifters, preamps.....then just say well that was a waste of an afternoon, I'll plug a lead from the stupid output straight in and record everything like I usually do.

I'm always amazed that folks say, hey, we just stuck an sm57 and a cheap condenser on the cab and it worked fine. Sounds like a bucket with a blanket over it and an angry wasp in there when I try it.

– Hipbone

I'm happy with my Sub Zero szmb1. Sinful I know. Very Cheap and does the job

– Hipbone

Whatever it takes.

For recording,... a newer Mic on the Market, a Techzone Steller x2 - amazing mic in the $200 price range. I hear they are coming out with the X3 model soon.

Karl

My 55 has a switch & a quick disconnect, but it's my last real one that works. Eventually, the little tabs that hold the foil diaphragm break, & you can't get kits for them anymore.

Register Sign in to join the conversation