Miscellaneous Rumbles

Favorite covers by the Beatles

"Mr. Postman".

– wabash slim

I was thinking of "Mr. Postman" too. And then I thought of how George just tears it up on "Roll Over Beethoven."

Twist and Shout and Roll Over Beethoven

i really don't care for their soul covers at all...i grew up on black r&b and they sound anemic compared to the originals. the only ones that really interest me are "Long Tall Sally" and particularly "Twist and Shout" where they actually added something of themselves to their versions.

“Money”. I liked the primal energy

My favorite to perform is Slow Down, but the Carl Perkins tunes are the ones I enjoy listening to the most.

My favorite Perkins song is Your True Love, and had the Fabs recorded it properly, that would be my #1. What a near-miss it was: it was apparently one of the many covers they did in the early days; according to Perkins, they considered it when they were recording the other songs of his; they ran through it during the Let It Be rehearsals; George performed it with Perkins on his 1985 Cinemax special, and Paul played it with him (loosely but sweetly) in the Miramax documentary My Old Friend; and George sang it at Perkins's funeral. So it was always around the Beatles, for a long time.

Oh, well.

Here's a fun video of some of them from a Manchester show. And, in the video which auto-loads after this, I love being able to see George changing pickups, etc. So, so cool.

"Twist and Shout", "Some Other Guy", and "Leave My Kitten Alone".

Somewhere in the mist I heard a Cavern era take on "Besame Mucho" done by the Beatles. A completely unorthodox song by a rock group. It was fairly good. John sang.

IMO, there's so many great covers on the two double-CDs "Live at the BBC" that are (sort of) more interesting than the songs they released officially while they were an active band. "How come no one loves me?", "I gotta find my baby", "Sweet little sixteen", "Keep your hands off my baby"... the list goes on.

– gretschoholic

I probably listened to Live At The BBC more than any other Beatles album last year.

Somewhere in the mist I heard a Cavern era take on "Besame Mucho" done by the Beatles. A completely unorthodox song by a rock group. It was fairly good. John sang.

– Parralax View

That was a staple even into 1963. It's on the 1962 Star Club recording, Live at the BBC (and many more takes on the full bootlegs), and was one of the tunes chosen for the failed Decca audition demo. And it was Paul singing. My band does the Beatles version, and it usually gets people dancing.

Anything from Live at the BBC and the Decca audition. Need to get the Star recording again. Had a cassette in the '70's.

Anything but "Mr. Moonlight." Yecchh.

Nothin' Shakin' But The Leaves on the Trees

Taste of Honey must have been one of those cavern recordings, as well. I've never heard a good recording of it but loved what I heard.

Off of Live at the BBC, their cover of Ann-Margret's "I Just Don't Understand". I mean, The Beatles doing an Ann-Margret cover! Not just covering it, but owning it!

I'd love to have heard the discussion where they decided to cover that one.

For the contemporary releases, it would be "Kansas City/Hey-Hey-Hey-Hey".

"You came to lx, one summer night..."

Register Sign in to join the conversation