Miscellaneous Rumbles

Favorite covers by the Beatles

I'm relaxing out in California all this week, visiting family after a work-filled holiday prevented me from spending the usual holiday time here.

So my older brother and I (who have talked about music all of our lives together) got to talking tonight about our favorite covers the Beatles did over the years. We quickly rattled off a dozen or more. I put forth "Honey Don't" as among my favorites, followed by another Ringo number, "Act Naturally."

But my very favorite has to be John's great rendition of "Baby It's You" by The Shirelles.

So which are some of your favorites?

"Twist and Shout" would have to to be number one in my book. As great as the Isley Brothers may be, the Beatles, Lennon in particular, delivered not only the definitive version of that song, but arguably the definitive example of a no-holds-barred rock vocal. The drums and bass on that recording are also extraordinary. I wouldn't say it's my favorite Beatles tune, but among their covers, IMO, it's easily the most impactful.

Easily, “Long Tall Sally.” For all of the envelope pushing cerebralness of their stuff after Rubber Soul, watching them cover Little Richard, in all its Hamburg amphetamine rawness makes you understand why four awkward kids from England wanted to play rock and roll.

Three Cool Cats for no particular reason.

I'm actually a big fan of their version of 'Till There was You' I personally think it's some of George's finest guitar work and in those early days really shows off his ability and tastefulness. What's more they sing "Sar them winging"

Long Tall Sally, Honey Don’t, Please Mr Postman are all good, but my personal favourite is Ringo’s version of Boys.

I was always partial to their cover of Arthur Alexander’s “Anna”.

"Twist and Shout" and "Words of Love".

"Long Tall Sally" haws always been my favorite by The Four.

John Lennon's mid-70's (??) solo album ("John Lennon Rock and Roll") has several great examples....."Be Bop-A-Luula", "Ain't That A Shame", "Peggy Sue", "You Can't Catch Me"......

Gotta be Words of Love and all of their Carl Perkins covers. Very tasty guitar work by George.

Golden Slumbers, though they only stole the lyrics.

I hate to say 'all of them'... well maybe not "Mr. Moonlight".... but even the more obscure ones like Bad Boy kick ass

"Twist and Shout" would have to to be number one in my book. As great as the Isley Brothers may be, the Beatles, Lennon in particular, delivered not only the definitive version of that song, but arguably the definitive example of a no-holds-barred rock vocal. The drums and bass on that recording are also extraordinary. I wouldn't say it's my favorite Beatles tune, but among their covers, IMO, it's easily the most impactful.

– Afire

It was the last song they recorded for that album. John's voice was already shot, hence the gravel and rock arena blueprint vocal tone.

Everybody's Tryin' To Be My Baby is my favorite. For now.

IMO, there's so many great covers on the two double-CDs "Live at the BBC" that are (sort of) more interesting than the songs they released officially while they were an active band. "How come no one loves me?", "I gotta find my baby", "Sweet little sixteen", "Keep your hands off my baby"... the list goes on.

Anders

+1 to the BBC collection. "Soldier of Love" and "Sure to Fall" are great along with the others. Paul's "That's All Right Mama" as well. He could do both Elvis & Little Richard convincingly.

Their version of Buddy Holly's "Words of Love" is pretty cool. And I always dug all three of their Larry Williams covers --- "Slow Down," Bad Boy," and "Dizzy Miss Lizzie."

I love their version of Words of Love for the Everly style harmonies that Buddy’s didn’t have and for emphasizing George’s double stop guitar licks.

I love Anna for John’s soulful vocal.

I love You Really got a Hold on Me because the song is pure Smoky and they done him proud.

I love Long Tall Sally cause it took real big balls for Paul to try to out-sing Little Richard.

I love Mr. Postman just because.

Back then, Brit covers of classic American rock'n'roll and r&b records were usually (not always, but usually) pretty poor when compared to the originals, and that was as much the fault of our generally timid recording techniques as the performers. So I reckon that the Beatles and George Martin did a damn good job on their cover versions. I don't have one favourite, but Mr Postman, You Really Got A Hold On Me, Anna, Rock'n'Roll Music and Long Tally Sally were very good records.

I also admired The Hollies, and when they got into their stride with some original songs they produced some fine records. But compare the sound of their earliest releases such as Just Like Me and Just One Look with The Coasters and Doris Troy originals and you wonder who was minding the store at Abbey Road when they made those recordings. Sorry, recording quality is a bit of a bee in my bonnet so I'll shut up now.

Just can't. Like picking my favorite child. But, I Adore the Carl Perkins songs.

My fave cover song by The Beatles is Buddy Holly's "Words Of Love".

If we're including their early live repertoire, then I'd agree with "Keep Your Hands Off My Baby," add another great Arthur Alexander tune, "Wher Have You Been All My Life" and most of all, "Some Other Guy."

Afire- I'd also include "I'm gonna sit right down and Cry ( Over You)".

Register Sign in to join the conversation