Miscellaneous Rumbles

Favorite Candy Bar

OK, too much bad going on in this world, let's make this about something fun we all loved as kids (and maybe still do).

Simple question: favorite candy bar.

Mine:

Reeses peanutbutter cups.

Oh, very good.

Twix or Heath...depending on how strong my teeth feel.

Maple candy dipped in dark chocolate..homemade.

Skor storebought.

Way too many for me to choose one, but if forced at this moment...

...------

This was always pretty great when I want(ed) a somewhat refined sweet.

But this when I have a chocolate craving that just needs to be dealt with strongly.

Probably Kit Kat or Sixlets.

Since I was a small child, this was it for me.

And thanks to Cadyshack, it has other prank uses.

Toss up- Twix or Coffee Crisp. 50-50.

Hersheys Bar with Almonds or Mars Bar or a Zero Bar or.......

Most commercial candy bars don't taste anything like they did when I was a kid. Many use GMO cacao, and lots of synthetic ingredients.

These are pretty good --- what Reese's want to be when they grow up! (Dark chocolate beats milk chocolate every time)

Something with dark chocolate and caramel. Dark chocolate Milky Way when I can find 'em.

A tie between Reese's and this one:

(I like peanuts.)

Although when I was a kid it was this one (in the foil pack):

When we were in Great Britain a few years ago, my wife and I discovered Cadbury Dairy Milk Oreo.

They are nearly impossible to find stateside but if you are in Europe, check them out! For one thing, the chocolate puts all American chocolate bars to shame. Bar none. Interestingly, there is a similar bar put out by Milka who is a corporate brother to Cadbury, both being owned by Mondelez International. The Milka is good but not as good as the Cadbury. The difference is the chocolate. I have read that Cadbury uses whole milk in making their milk chocolate. Milka supposedly uses powdered milk. Milka has a bit of a caramel taste that, while not bad at all, seems to detract from the richness of the chocolate. Or maybe the difference is all in my head but I have compared the two and that is what I noticed.

I think that the reason that we have the Milka bars and not the Cadbury is that in the US, Hershey's has the licensing contract to produce the Cadbury candy. By making the Milka bars, Mondelez can produce their own bars and not have to go through Hershey's. I like Hershey's milk chocolate but it does not compare to the Cadbury or even Milka.

Otherwise, my favorite is Snickers or Snickers Almond (fomerly the Mars bar in the US -- the Mars bar is different elsewhere). On vacation in Budapest this last summer I found a white "chocolate" Snickers bar. Haven't seen it anywhere since.

Anyone in the UK want to become my source for the Cadbury bars?

Coffee Crisp straight out of the freezer -

Not a bar, but I consume plain M&Ms (programmer pellets) on a daily basis. Recently, I've been enjoying some Kit Kat bars.

Waaay back when I was a kid, there was a bar that was a 3 layer laminate of milk, white, and dark chocolates. Basically, chocolate plywood. Anybody remember that one and if so, what the heck was its name?

Not a bar, but I consume plain M&Ms (programmer pellets) on a daily basis. Recently, I've been enjoying some Kit Kat bars.

Waaay back when I was a kid, there was a bar that was a 3 layer laminate of milk, white, and dark chocolates. Basically, chocolate plywood. Anybody remember that one and if so, what the heck was its name?

– beatbyrd

The Interweb can end your quest in minutes:

Any dark chocolate is fine with me. They have an orange flavored chocolate that is pricey but is worth every penny. Reese's (not Reesees) are pretty good as well.

Showing my age here, but the old Nestle’s Triple Decker in the US for me, please. Full-length layers of dark, white, and milk chocolate. Used to get them frozen from the concession stand at the pool when I was a kid. Haven’t seen anything like it since.

In Europe, straight Leonidas milk chocolate, thank ya.

My wife gave me this last year as part of a Christmas gift.

Nowaday, it's a simple Snickers or Butterfinger. When I was a kid, the old cube of chocolate, raisins, and nuts called the "Chunky" was my world favorite.

Showing my age here, but the old Nestle’s Triple Decker in the US for me, please. Full-length layers of dark, white, and milk chocolate. Used to get them frozen from the concession stand at the pool when I was a kid. Haven’t seen anything like it since.

In Europe, straight Leonidas milk chocolate, thank ya.

– tubwompus

So, Triple Decker was the name I was searching for. I agree with you that they were great.

Leonidas butter cremes are on a whole 'nuther level. I am glad they are not readily available at local convenience stores or I would need to widen my doorways.

Register Sign in to join the conversation