Miscellaneous Rumbles

Fathers

To all of you fine gentlemen who have shared the pleasure, the pain and the honor of parenthood with children, I wish you a happy Father's Day. You really are their idol. I know my Dad is mine.

Yesterday, the 17th, would've been my Dad's 93rd birthday. We lost him 40 years ago. Still, not a day goes by that I don't think of him and something he taught me.

All that, and his jokes, too.

I'm not a Dad, and we lost my father in 2012. But I do appreciate the work Dads do.

Happy Fathers Day to all fathers!

Thanks! Becoming a parent was the greatest gift I was ever given.

Two out of three of my adult kids wished me a happy Fathers Day yesterday, so that's not half bad

My brother and I spent the day with our Dad. He's 87 with fairly serious memory-related dementia. He was not the greatest father when we were kids, but as he's aged he's become much sweeter and kinder. Both my brother and I are quite fond of him and are spending more time with him now than we ever have. Other than the dementia he's in good health. It took decades for me to tell him I loved him, because for much of my life I didn't. I had to become a father myself to get an understanding of who he was as a human being; how his life had been lived trying to meet others expectations, and how that had made him a bitter, angry and resentful guy. He retired from the career he hated at 56, but didn't begin to relax and enjoy life until he was in his 70's.

Now I can look in his eyes and see love and kindness there looking back, even though he won't remember what we were talking about two minutes ago. I'm quite grateful for the relationship I have with him now.

Two out of three of my adult kids wished me a happy Fathers Day yesterday, so that's not half bad

My brother and I spent the day with our Dad. He's 87 with fairly serious memory-related dementia. He was not the greatest father when we were kids, but as he's aged he's become much sweeter and kinder. Both my brother and I are quite fond of him and are spending more time with him now than we ever have. Other than the dementia he's in good health. It took decades for me to tell him I loved him, because for much of my life I didn't. I had to become a father myself to get an understanding of who he was as a human being; how his life had been lived trying to meet others expectations, and how that had made him a bitter, angry and resentful guy. He retired from the career he hated at 56, but didn't begin to relax and enjoy life until he was in his 70's.

Now I can look in his eyes and see love and kindness there looking back, even though he won't remember what we were talking about two minutes ago. I'm quite grateful for the relationship I have with him now.

– Rhythmisking

That is a touching tribute to him, Paul. I am glad that you have developed an understanding of who he is, and was, and that you are able to love him now.

Hope all of you Fathers had a great Fathers day.

I exchanged "Father's Day Cards" with my Grandson.

That was cool.

Congratulations and appreciation to all you Pops out there. Better you than me!

I was blessed with really good parents, and I'm also extremely thankful not to be a member of that club!

It is beyond cool to be a father to a child. It is a certain thing that only a man can feel. My heart hurts for all the children of drunken drug addicted selfish assholes who might claim fatherhood. Happy fathers day to all you fathers. Love your little ones. That is really our only job. After that the world seems to align itself in it's proper order.

There's a line from the movie "Boys in the Hood", that goes, "Any fool can be a daddy, but it takes a man to be a father." Best job I ever had---and sometimes the hardest.

How do you not freak out as a dad?

I'm already borderline over-protective of my cat.

How do you not freak out as a dad?

Actually you just don't. You maintain an even keel with kids and nudge them in the right direction. You give them peace of mind and a warm home. You give them unconditional love and stay awake at night until they come home. I had all these things growing up at the end of a strap, I loved my parents and I love my siblings and I knew when I became a father that I would never raise my hand to my child. not ever, and I never have. My daughter loves me. My folks were the best. and I deserved every whipping I ever got, not to many at that. The thing about corporal punishment in my case was that it just made me able to take a whipping with a smile on my face, the better punishment would have been to take away my baseball cards or have the coach bench me for a game, that would have meant something, but my father, mother, and grand parents loved to watch me play any and all of the sports that I played right through collage. I played hard to make my father proud. And good game or not I can not remember a game of whatever that my dad was at, that he did not walk me to the car with his big old arm around my shoulder. My father was a good man and if I die half the man he was then I will be remembered as a good father also. So You just can't freak out, it just scares the people you love.

PS. The dividends are uncountable. The love you achieve from your kids is not measurable on this earth. It is so cool to be a father.

It's interesting how much things change from generation to generation. I love my folks, but as a young man I never wanted to spend summer vacation traveling with them, just me and my girl. Last year along with my wife and all four boys I backpacked in eastern Oregon for a week. This year it's the eastern Sierra. I'm just blessed to have grown children that still want to hang out with me.

Register Sign in to join the conversation