Miscellaneous Rumbles

Family Portrait

Well, I wasn't really sure where to post this, but since I finally got my Gretsch kids together for a portrait sitting, I had to share it with the rest of the class. From left to right in the upper left corner let me introduce: 1963 Corvette with 1 pickup & Burns vibrato, 1997 Rancher jumbo cutaway with single coil pickup & Bigsby, 2016 Electromatic Jet Baritone with dual mini-humbucking pickups & Bigsby, 2017 Limited Edition Electromatic Pro Jet with dual "Blacktop" Filter’Tron pickups & Bigsby. Yes, I know they all have vibratos (mostly Bigsby) because that's what God intended.

Nice family! Always kind of dug those late 90's electric Ranchers with the Bigsby.

Nothing in Cubs Blue?

Nice group of guitars!

Parents won't admit it, but they do have favorites. Which kid is your favorite?

Parents won't admit it, but they do have favorites. Which kid is your favorite? -- Spiritwalker

Like any parent, the one that gives him the least headaches.

Parents won't admit it, but they do have favorites. Which kid is your favorite? -- Spiritwalker

Like any parent, the one that gives him the least headaches.

– Ric12string

Is that how that's supposed to work?

Saw one of those LE Pro Jets last time in the states. Damn sexy.

Parents won't admit it, but they do have favorites. Which kid is your favorite?

– Spiritwalker

While I won't admit to having a favorite, I will admit that the Rancher has the most interesting backstory involving a name that just may be familiar to some of you.

I never knew this model existed until my wife/co-host, Johnnie, and I were Duane Eddy’s guests at a special performance he gave, introducing his signature Gretsch 6120, at the 1997 NAMM convention, in Nashville. Duane had his Rancher available for his back up guitarist to use on “Cannonball.” I fell in love with this unusual beast right away. When we got back to Chicago, I kept talking about it so much that my friendly, local guitar guru ordered one for me to "try." By Christmas Johnnie decided that it needed to be under the tree.

Now that I think about it, the Rancher also had a close encounter with another name you may be familiar with, Darrel Higham. A few years ago, Darrel and Imelda May were our in-studio guests at WGN radio. They were nice enough to agree to performing a few songs. Darrel brought an Epiphone acoustic with him but, knowing of his fondness for Gretsch, I brought the Rancher along. I showed it to him and told him he could use it if he wanted. A big smile came over his face as he enthusiastically said yes. He'd never seen a Rancher with a Bigsby and raved about how the neck felt just like a 6120.

This photo is just one piece of the memories from a VERY fun night. Now, if only I could even come close to making the Rancher sing like Darrel did....

Nice! I really like the '17 Limited Edition Electromatic Pro.

Sadly, the Rancher was lost in the flood.

Sadly, the Rancher was lost in the flood.

– Deed Eddy

I'm SO sorry to hear that, Deed. Please tell Duane that if he ever needs one to use, it's not that far between Chicago and Nashville, we'll find a way to get mine to him.

Register Sign in to join the conversation