Miscellaneous Rumbles

Every Second Counts but America First

Hilarious things are going on. America First, no doubt but which country is going to be second I vote for my country: Austria! Here are the vids from the other countries. Dont take it too serious http://everysecondcounts.eu

I'm sure the video is fun and whimsical, but this isn't the place.

I come here to get away from the bullshit that is sure to follow. Go post on Facebook or something.

Don't take it too serious. I will not post it on Facebook. I dont have Facebook. And I believe you are not the one who defines what's allowed to post in the "Misc. Rumbles" section So plz don't cry

I came across that website yesterday and found the videos to be clever and humorous. That being said, it was probably because the videos start from a political position which is not far from my own. However, if I were a Trump supporter, I probably would find them to be less funny.

The unofficial rulez be that political viewpoints acceptable on the center to left side of the spectrum are trouble. Find some good right wing satire and post away....

The unofficial rulez be that political viewpoints acceptable on the center to left side of the spectrum are trouble. Find some good right wing satire and post away....

– Strummerson

Ori, I would not agree with that assessment. I think that we are being bombarded with politics at almost every waking moment of the day. And properly so, in my opinion. These are some very bewildering times for many of us. And there is something of an obligation to speak out in a civil manner when we disagree with positions that our leaders take which violate our own sense of ethics, worldview, and ideas of right/wrong.

That being said, I find myself weary of all of the yelling and screaming. If you have a Facebook account, it seems like two out of every three posts have political content, whether left or right. I think that many people, including myself, are looking for a breather from the intensity of the political posting. Many view the GDP as a respite from politics in general. I don't agree with that as I find that I often learn from civil discourse on the site about public policy. But, the key is that discourse has to be civil. All too often, it degenerates into something vastly less than a respectful exchange of ideas.

I think that what you have experienced is that there is are some on the GDP, and certainly elsewhere in life, who like to air their views in a loud and confrontational manner. That makes respectful discourse difficult. When discussion includes ad hominem attacks, then there is no opportunity to learn and benefit from each other. Once I see the discussion beginning to tank, I stop posting. It just isn't worth the aggravation.

I think that some of your views have been met with that blowback and you have occasionally risen to the bait and fought back, which I fully understand and perhaps might be similarly inclined to do. But, it has likely left a sour taste in your mouth about sharing policy views here any more. Again, that is understandable.

So, in the meantime, it looks like topics of polyurethane finishes, ceramic magnets, and the like will have to be the fodder of discussion around here. And that ain't necessarily bad either.

...or just ignore all of the political nonsense and just play guitar.

Social media, especially fb, or facewaste which is now "facefight" has been taken over by the debil.

I never thought I'd ever hope to see more photos of lunches and kittens again, but I do. Facewaste is downright horrible, but the perfect place to insult, demonize and disgust yourself and anyone who disagrees with you.

I still go on that site to check for birthdays, pet adoptions and guitar jams. On occasion, I hope to simply see a nice vacation spot that a friend may have visited.

...------

Ric12, I think you will note how little I have participated in political discussions for a long time. The level of personal animus led me to stay away from here for a long time. And, in stepping back, it's quite clear which views are acceptable here and which inevitably lead to people taking liberties to crap on other members. But whatever. It is what it is. I do feel significantly less invested in this community as a result. The powers that be allow abuse. The community allows abuse. That sucks. But I'm no longer interested in trying to shift anything. I just care much less than I used to.

I'm about as left as you're going to find on this forum. The actual politics of the content have nothing to do with it. I just think this thread was needless pot stirring.

If I want to see bad satire, I'll go to the bad satire forum.

I also don't like seeing litter at the park.

I just care much less than I used to. - Strummerson<

Sadly, we all do...

If many of you are like me, you still have to get up, go to work, and take your steps to make a living and live a good life in the process, regardless of the office holder. The politics has grown boring and stale, and is just repetitive and " I know you are but what am I", type of discourse.

There is nothing I or anyone else can do about it except for election day, and that is far away and personally, I will not expend any energy arguing, denouncing, or getting denounced for simple personal political beliefs.

The absolute venom and cocksuredness of some, of their position, tells me that their position is weak and only reinforced by their belief in the script and how loud they can yell.

Presidents are temporary, as is most everything in life. I'm not worrying myself about someone in office now or in the past, they don't know me and rather than what they say, they wouldn't give me the time of day...that you can bet on.

While many people here have figured out that my political beliefs lie to the center-left (I'm a Clinton-Gore Democrat, not a Sanders-Warren one), nonetheless I try to be even handed. I'd recommend a subReddit called Neutral Politics, a board that tries to get beyond the hype and actually argue the facts, based on, as the title says, Evidence, Logic, Respect. It's moderated and demands that people support their arguments with facts.

https://www.reddit.com/r/Ne...

The sad and inescapable reality is that the United States is highly polarized and everything is politicized now, e.g. Nordstrom, Under Armour, the Super Bowl. You can run but you can't hide, even on a guitar forum. (Unless you adopt the attitude of my other guitar home, Gretsch-Talk, which bans any and all political discussions.) It's not going to go away, so get used to it.

Personally I find any viewpoint from the outside the US like chimingbell's helpful, as it ain't just about us, folks.

While many people here have figured out that my political beliefs lie to the center-left (I'm a Clinton-Gore Democrat, not a Sanders-Warren one), nonetheless I try to be even handed. I'd recommend a subReddit called Neutral Politics, a board that tries to get beyond the hype and actually argue the facts, based on, as the title says, Evidence, Logic, Respect. It's moderated and demands that people support their arguments with facts.

https://www.reddit.com/r/Ne...

The sad and inescapable reality is that the United States is highly polarized and everything is politicized now, e.g. Nordstrom, Under Armour, the Super Bowl. You can run but you can't hide, even on a guitar forum. (Unless you adopt the attitude of my other guitar home, Gretsch-Talk, which bans any and all political discussions.) It's not going to go away, so get used to it.

Personally I find any viewpoint from the outside the US like chimingbell's helpful, as it ain't just about us, folks.

– drmilktruck

An an outsider (I live in Australia), I get sick of hearing about rubbish that doesn't concern me. For example...do I really care if a shop that doesn't exist in Australia really drops a fashion label? Absolutely not! Is it the lead (or second) story on the evening news here? You betcha!

What would concern me is if an outright ban was placed on ANY foreign national entering the US. That would really ruin my Roundup attendance plans!

I enjoy satire from both sides o the fence. so thanks for posting.

I think a good sense of humour is the only way to handle all political nonsense and dont get crazy with it. Austria got recently split in half too since last president elections. But you know what (at least in Europe) state presidents have not that much power. Heads changes but Systems mostly stay the same because there are laws, people rights and so on..

And now grab all a beer and head back to Guitar Country

I really could care less right now but seeing the one on Croatia was was freaking hilarious But I'm not posting it here.

– Strummerson

...even though the post right next to yours makes it clear that this topic is not about right wing satire.

Ric12, I think you will note how little I have participated in political discussions for a long time. The level of personal animus led me to stay away from here for a long time.

You could have fooled me.

Hell, you even managed to turn a talk about the Clash into a contentious matter.

You should not confuse "personal animus" with animus towards most of your political ideas. I know that in the liberal playbook it's normal to expect to put up a view and no one should be allowed to respond. We are not your students here who have to remain a captive audience and be quiet or else risk not getting their "A". If you say something--just as if I say something--you should expect that reasonable minds can differ and say something to that effect.

How do you only get partial quotes of a previous post? That's always bugged me.

Ric12, I think you will note how little I have participated in political discussions for a long time. The level of personal animus led me to stay away from here for a long time.

You could have fooled me.

Hell, you even managed to turn a talk about the Clash into a contentious matter.

You should not confuse "personal animus" with animus towards most of your political ideas. I know that in the liberal playbook it's normal to expect to put up a view and no one should be allowed to respond. We are not your students here who have to remain a captive audience and be quiet or else risk not getting their "A". If you say something--just as if I say something--you should expect that reasonable minds can differ and say something to that effect.

– knavel

One major effort is to create division between the vast "uneducated unwashed in the fly-over hinterland", and the Intelligentsia in their ivory towers of Coastal Academia.

It's part of good ol' divide and conquer!

EDIT: a few days later.

A number of you........you know who you are......voted for a guy with a 70%+ "pants on fire, Pinocchio Nose" liar rating.

His Administration tells as many lies as he does.

Great job, guys.

Ask your kids for their forgiveness, beg if you must.

How do you only get partial quotes

Use the >

It's part of good ol' divide and conquer!

Thanks Otter. I've got it now.

I've taken the next step from posting about it here at the GDP or elsewhere for that matter.

What I AM doing is writing my Senators and Representatives pretty much every day (although, here in Kansas it is doubtful that my viewpoint meets with much "appreciation"...lol???)

One thing you should not do, regardless of your viewpoint, is let the whole thing wear you down to the point of "not caring"...as we are seeing now, more than ever, this stuff...politics...is very important and YOUR VOTE does in fact make a difference (albeit, more so in some States than others!) If you are complacent...then "they" (whomever they may be) get to do what "they" want.

Finally...REMEMBER that the election is not just every four years...someone in your locale, ...Governors, Congressmen and Representatives and other local offices come up pretty much every two years and THOSE offices are also vitally important. If you want YOUR views to be expressed in government, then YOU need to VOTE every time there is an election.

Register Sign in to join the conversation