Miscellaneous Rumbles

Every goal scored against the Penguins is a GOOD GOAL!

Mike "Doc" Emrick is a great announcer, his awards only remind us, while watching live THRILLS us.

Time to move forward into HOCKEY Season...

In Vancouver, so far this year it isn't hockey season yet! It's all about the coach & management's misuse of players and managements excuses why the team sucks huge this year. The talent on this team just isn't sufficient to compete.....not a difficult concept to comprehend! There's constant chatter about trades and failure to play some players either properly, not enough or playing less talented players over others. It's a real clusterf*

Every goal scored against the Penguins is a GOOD GOAL!

+1000!

I grew up listening to Curt Keilback, and that's the way I like my play-by-play, verbose and lots of emotion.

Paul Edmonds, who does the radio play-by-play for the Jets most days, also grew up listening to Keilback. He used to do the local baseball team's games and his home run call was, "You can look up, pucker up, and kiss that one goodbye."

I'm pretty good at syncing the TV with the Internet stream, it's what the anthems are for.

Keilback

Edmonds call is at about 4:30 in this video or here http://www.tsn.ca/radio/tsn...

Gene Hart..."He shoots, He Scores!"

"Flyers" voice for decades, his daughter sings the Anthem and God Bless America at the Home games.

Ya Never Know...Nobody Knows...but, then something works...Gene Hart is burned into millions of brains with that chaotic, over-the-top, almost in total disbelief, cry of Success!

Not much better than when the Flyers beat Pittsburgh...Ah!

And then all the TastyKakes!

Pens lost to the Caps a week ago in Wednesday Night Primetime 5-2, 7-1 last meeting in November, tonight the rematch in Pittsburgh...

In light of the Steelers squeaking by last night in KC...

Go Caps!

EDIT:. Insanity ensued...3-0 Caps, then 3-5 Pens, then 5-5 tied, 5-7 Pens, then 7-7 tied...Pens win in OT. Aaaargh!

I use to have a second and third favorite team, but once New Jersey beat the Stars in the Cup in 2000, I realized I only like one team, and that's the Dallas Stars.

To see them go from a powerhouse to possibly not even making the playoffs, and to lose to Buffalo 4-1 yesterday, I realize it's just not their year.

I was hoping they get in the playoffs as a 5, 6, 7 or 8 seed, then anything can happen. I have not given up at all, and as a season ticket holder, I go and scream like I should, but I don't see the positives happening now. The offense is not the powerhouse it was last year.

Regardless, there is nothing like the NHL, and I agree with the initial post. Every goal against the Pens, and every other team besides the Stars is a good goal.

...------

I use to have a second and third favorite team, but once New Jersey beat the Stars in the Cup in 2000, I realized I only like one team, and that's the Dallas Stars.

To see them go from a powerhouse to possibly not even making the playoffs, and to lose to Buffalo 4-1 yesterday, I realize it's just not their year.

I was hoping they get in the playoffs as a 5, 6, 7 or 8 seed, then anything can happen. I have not given up at all, and as a season ticket holder, I go and scream like I should, but I don't see the positives happening now. The offense is not the powerhouse it was last year.

Regardless, there is nothing like the NHL, and I agree with the initial post. Every goal against the Pens, and every other team besides the Stars is a good goal.

...------

– indianation65

Sorry indianation but I remember that like it was yesterday......JASON ARNOTT!!!!!!!!!!!

Mike "Doc" Emrick is a great announcer, his awards only remind us, while watching live THRILLS us.

Time to move forward into HOCKEY Season...

– Twangmeisternyc

I definitely agree Twang as I tuned into to listen to him with Chico by his side as the NJ Devils play-by-play man for for 20 years. One better take their blood pressure meds though as he could make intermission sound like a do or die situation.

I have to admit though that I like Gary Thorne just as much. More of a baritone voice but just as much into it and great chemistry with McNabb by his side.

I have to admit though I love "Mr. Devil" Ken Daneyko as the new color commentator along side of Steve Cangialosi, who is very good in with his own style..

Yep, I remember the Arnott goal well myself, and I couldn't stand him until he became a Dallas Star during the Bill Guerin years. They were so good from 2000-2006 or so, but could not get back to the Cup. Turco was no Belfour, and almost single-handedly (is that a word?) Belfour took Dallas to the Cup in 2000, in 1999 the entire team was good.

Regardless, it is such a monumental climb to win a Stanley Cup. I'd surmise it's the hardest of the big 4 to win.

...------

When I say EVERY GOAL should count, I mean it...

Kick it in, Throw it in, High Stick, Goalie Interference, etc.

Yep, I remember the Arnott goal well myself, and I couldn't stand him until he became a Dallas Star during the Bill Guerin years. They were so good from 2000-2006 or so, but could not get back to the Cup. Turco was no Belfour, and almost single-handedly (is that a word?) Belfour took Dallas to the Cup in 2000, in 1999 the entire team was good.

Regardless, it is such a monumental climb to win a Stanley Cup. I'd surmise it's the hardest of the big 4 to win.

...------

– indianation65

I remember 2 of my favorite players being traded in late March of '02: Arnott, and long-time Devil Randy McKay to the Dallas Stars. I was crushed but it was a good trade for both sides with Langenbrunner eventually becoming Captain.

Yeah, I agree about Belfour and he was a force in front of the net and was certainly elite in the '97-'98, '98-'99, and '99 - 2000 seasons.

Could this turn into an entire "NHL" topic, instead of just commenting on goals against the Pens?

Good grief, what a crazy game with Dallas and New York last night, 7-6 for Dallas! Of course Cody Eakin would have to fight someone due to the Lundquist factor. It was minimal, no real damage, but it was actually strange for the Rangers to "not" go after him immediately after the collision back in Dallas. Regardless, the NHL is fantastic, and we'll be screaming for the Stars all season, despite their lack of production the offense.

Addendum: Benn broke 3 sticks in anger in Buffalo. It should have happened 20 games ago.

Addendum II: Have you noticed there is very little hitting/checking in the NHL these days? It seems to be more European to me, and the truly hard hits are rare, but so are hits in general. I'd surmise the coaches are teaching "no penalties" over hard hitting these days.

...------

RE: Addendum II...I think that the truly hard hits are rare because even if it's a clean hit, someone is going to jump you right afterwards and you'll have to fight.

My wife is a big King Henrik fan. We only went to a few games at MSG when we were in NYC, but always behind Henrik a few rows back and a few seats to the right.

We watched every game on TV otherwise...Same with Yankees.

Henrik is having a very off year. All the goals being scored are covering up fairly average play on his part compared to his legacy.

Not to say that the Rangers scoring more goals might have some effect of more Goals Against...

7-6 is still a nutty Hockey score!

Could this turn into an entire "NHL" topic, instead of just commenting on goals against the Pens?

Good grief, what a crazy game with Dallas and New York last night, 7-6 for Dallas! Of course Cody Eakin would have to fight someone due to the Lundquist factor. It was minimal, no real damage, but it was actually strange for the Rangers to "not" go after him immediately after the collision back in Dallas. Regardless, the NHL is fantastic, and we'll be screaming for the Stars all season, despite their lack of production the offense.

Addendum: Benn broke 3 sticks in anger in Buffalo. It should have happened 20 games ago.

Addendum II: Have you noticed there is very little hitting/checking in the NHL these days? It seems to be more European to me, and the truly hard hits are rare, but so are hits in general. I'd surmise the coaches are teaching "no penalties" over hard hitting these days.

...------

– indianation65

Concerning addendum II: Gary Bettman hates defense (and Martin Brodeur, hence the trapezoid) and has changed the rules since the '04/'05 lockout to turn the NHL into a speed skating affair. Gone are the days of art like Darius Kasparitis' hip checks or defensemen guarding the front of the goal without receiving some ridiculous interference penalty.

Rangers' defense is a fiasco. Last year was bad, this year is worse, if anything. Teams with offensive talent (like Dallas) make us look bad - can't get out of the zone, give up a lot of golden opportunities, etc.. And Henrik's off-year is not helping.

Hitting is a funny thing - there is an art to making good hits that help your team and don't take you out of the play. I wonder if the speed of the game is making it more difficult.

Last year the Rangers (the only team I watch, sorry) had Tanner Glass, who specialized in "hitting" but really didn't help the team by doing so.

All I can tell you is, the Winnipeg Jets need some new players and coaches...all of them.

Tonight's Bruins-Red Wings game is a free-for-all, too.

3-0 Bruins in just a few minutes to start the game, then 3-1 with a minute left, then seconds later 4-1 to end the 1st.

Then miraculously back to 4-4 tied by late in the 2nd, then 5-4 Bruins a few seconds later to go to Intermission.

3rd about to start...Hang On!

Doc is Announcing with Olcyck doing Color...

Red Wings win the Shootout!

Never, ever stop playing until it's over...

I've finally succumbed, I like Coach Ruff, but I'm ready for a new coaching staff.

Why? It's painfully obvious the Stars do not have Power Play or Overtime coach. They are dreadful, and I can only surmise the coaches do not focus at all on special teams.

From a powerhouse scoring team to being dismal this year, it's time for a change in coaching. Well, I guess at the end of the season. If the Stars make the playoffs, I'll be surprised.

...------

Not related to the original post but thought this is kind of cool since it's a little trivia that combines music and hockey.

"Double Vision" by Foreigner got it's name when they were recording the song and were watching a Flyers/Rangers game and is about John Davidson(goalie for the NY Rangers) getting nailed in the crease with a dirty hit by a Flyers player and had to be taken out of the game because he was experiencing double vision. The announcers kept repeating the term "double vision" and now it's a song!

Dirty hit from a Flyers player back then on a Ranger?

...Nah, sounds like cry baby local TV coverage!

(The Rangers hated playing in Philly in the 70's)

Blues play in Pittsburgh tonight NBCSN @ 7pm.

Dirty hit from a Flyers player back then on a Ranger?

...Nah, sounds like cry baby local TV coverage!

(The Rangers hated playing in Philly in the 70's)

Blues play in Pittsburgh tonight NBCSN @ 7pm.

– Twangmeisternyc

I think anyone who valued their teeth hated playing the Flyers in Philly in the '70s!

I think I'm gonna open the wallet and get the Center Ice package to watch my Devils now that I'm here in Nashville. They're not winning anything this year but fun to watch and only 3 pts out of a wild card spot.

Blues shut them out! Ha!

I would need to switch to DirectTV, not an option right now. I don't even get NHL Network on our Cable system.

Surprisingly enough, our ECHL StingRays typically field a good team each year...Washington Capitals affiliate.

Register Sign in to join the conversation