Miscellaneous Rumbles

Ever Sell Equipment To A Famous Musician?

I sold a Flamed Blonde Gibson 1953 ES 5 to Mark Knopfler via Rudy Pensa.

I built a JMI-style Vox AC30 clone using as many NOS parts as possible. It's first night out was with The Yardbirds at the hands of Ben King. When I played with McCarty in Ben's place, I used my trusty Blues Jr.

I have loaned out my '64 AC30 to Kid Ramos and The Romantics.

I loaned a Chinese Chibson to the Wallflowers so they could use it for slide on "Sixth Avenue Heartache".

Nah,never had that experience,but Richie Sambora bought my old 77 Super Chet a few years ago when he was in Belfast on tour with Orianthi,not from me though ,from the shop my cousin sold it too.

Unfortunately i never got to meet him,or Orianthi for that matter.

Micky Bradley from The Undertones bought my cousins Fireglo Rickenbacker 4003 bass ,he had sold it to the shop and just happened to be in again one day when Mickey came in , the owner introduced him .

Never sold anything, but Leo Kottke used my Guild D-35 one night when his guitars got locked into an airplane's cargo hold. I'm hoping some of his mojo rubbed off on my Guild.

I traded a '63 6120 to Larry Briggs at Strings West, Tulsa years ago. When I came in the next week to get a '50s tweed Gretsch case he'd located for me, Larry said Rick Nielsen of Cheap Trick had bought the 6120.

I've sold a lot of pedals to famous musicians, but that probably doesnt count so I will share that I sold my first tangerine hotrod to the guitarist of Bow Wow Wow

– THE NOCTURNE BRAIN™ (actually loves hippies)

Tavo, so you are the guy who sold Phil Gough that guitar. After a show at the House of Blues in Anaheim I met the band. Since I was 14 in 1982 always dreamed of meeting Annabella. I spoke to Phil and asked him about his Hot Rod and he mentioned he bought the guitar at the side of the road or something. Little did I know it was you.

How did you end up selling to Phil? That part I forgot what he said. Was it The Recycler? I don't think Craigslist was around then, or was it?

He did a good job capturing Matthew Ashman's guitar style and feel. Better than the guy they had when I saw them in 1998.

Sold a Telecaster (Red, James Burton model) to a musician I've seen Tavo has had do some demos of his pedals. Buzz Aldrin, No... Buzz Cambell who at the time was playing with Hot Rod Lincoln and it sounds like has gone on to play a lot of other interesting gigs. Last time I saw him play was with Lee Rocker.

On the flip side I almost bought a guitar from Alex Weir who played with The Brothers Johnson, Talking Heads, and Tom Tom Club just to name a few.

It was not a guitar he owned but he did sales at Ace Music in Santa Monica. I guess between studio gigs and touring gigs he did sales. This was 1996. I was looking into Jazzmasters but ended up with a Strat. He helped me with the guitars but on the day I bought it he was not there.

I steered Jimmy Vivino towards some gear once after meeting him at the Philly guitar show. He was way cool. We mostly talked about his brother, Uncle Floyd, and the show he had.

Tavo, so you are the guy who sold Phil Gough that guitar. After a show at the House of Blues in Anaheim I met the band. Since I was 14 in 1982 always dreamed of meeting Annabella. I spoke to Phil and asked him about his Hot Rod and he mentioned he bought the guitar at the side of the road or something. Little did I know it was you.

How did you end up selling to Phil? That part I forgot what he said. Was it The Recycler? I don't think Craigslist was around then, or was it?

He did a good job capturing Matthew Ashman's guitar style and feel. Better than the guy they had when I saw them in 1998.

– ThePolecats

yes it was through the recycler and it was a parking lot meet up. I believe it was over at the Ontario Mills plaza.

James Intveld is about as cool as they come. I met him when he played a dance in Pasadena earlier this year and told him I wanted to be as cool as him when I grow up. He was mildly amused but we had a nice chat.

Through consignment sales at TrueTone I bought a 6120DE from Stan Ridgway, a baritone Tele from Dave Alvin, and a Cabronita Tele from Bill Mumy. I sold my '61 Strat through a brokered transaction to a very rich guy (Mick Mars also looked at it but declined to buy it) but never learned his name. I also answered a craigslist ad for a Tele and ended up buying it from Ricky Suarez of the English Beat.

Oh, and I once traded a vintage amp for a vintage delay pedal and a fistful of cash from this famous guy named Tavo in a parking lot in Ontario.

Giffenf wrote: "Oh, and I once traded a vintage amp for a vintage delay pedal and a fistful of cash from this famous guy named Tavo in a parking lot in Ontario."

Hmmm, I recently sold a pair of concert tickets to a famous guy named Tavo in a parking lot in Malibu.

He gets around parking lots it seems.... I guess that's so cal for you...

Maybe it's because parking lots don't typically get restraining orders...........

1) Brian Setzer once turned up to look at a Gretsch for sale. He was thinking to use it for the band he was starting which was subsequently called the BSO.

2) I had a pair of 50s Zildjian hi hats that I didn't like the sound of as they were really pingy and not Ringo sloshy at all. Sold them on ebay and the buyer was Zak Starkey.

I've sold Slingerland Radio King snare drums to Nicko McBrain from Iron Maiden and Fran Christina from The Fabulous Thunderbirds. A friend of mine sold a Kendrick amp to Joe Walsh.

Mostly I bought stuff from famous people...that list is longer.

But I have sold to stars as well, including Randy Bachman and Chris Cornell. And his guitarist Yogi??? Who was also in Buckcherry and the Wallflowers.

You are one heck of a negotiator, PC! That's a definite cool sale, and a lesson from James Intveld is way cool. Congrats to you. His connection to Rick Nelson is a special one, as his brother worked for Rick until the terrible plane crash that took their lives. I have to mention that today is the sad anniversary of Rick's passing, Dec 31, 1985.

You are one heck of a negotiator, PC! That's a definite cool sale, and a lesson from James Intveld is way cool. Congrats to you. His connection to Rick Nelson is a special one, as his brother worked for Rick until the terrible plane crash that took their lives. I have to mention that today is the sad anniversary of Rick's passing, Dec 31, 1985.

– Deed Eddy

Thanks Deed, the deal was good for both of us.

Just proves from my post and others that you place an ad and you never know what famous musician will show up at your door. Bottom line is, famous musicians are just like everybody else except they are famous and most of us are not and they are more talented than most of us.

Deed, I was 18 when Ricky Nelson and his band died in that crash. I remember seeing it on TV like it was yesterday. I was saddened and shocked like we all were. I was not aware his brother was the drummer who died in the crash until he told me. I brought up that I read that he was asked by Nelson to be in his Stone Canyon band then he mentioned his brother. Not sure why he didn't accept the offer. By the way Stone Canyon Band is such a cool name for a band.

– Deed Eddy

wow ! 31 years ! has it really been that long ? thanks, Deed. I still remember when I heard the news.

I have to say, one of the biggest thrills of my life was hearing Ricky Nelson say, "Mom, I'd like you to meet Deed and Duane Eddy. Duane and Deed, this is my Mom."

How many times had we heard him say, "Hi Mom, Hi Pop", on the Ozzie and Harriet Show? A zillion. So, to meet Mrs. Nelson was just surreal, and totally wonderful at the same time. She was awesome, just like I always knew she would be.

Sorry to derail there, couldn't help myself.

I sold a Goldtop to the guitarist in Mud. Turns out he used to live in Maida Vale & he wanted to visit his old local pub. We sank a few pints & had a good old natter. I once rented an AC30 to U2 (please God, don't tell me Bono used it.)

Never sold anything to one, but I bought my first Rhodes circa 1974 from Mark Levine, a locally well-known Latin/jazz pianist in the SF Bay Area. He was tickled to find I'd heard of him from playing on albums with trumpeter Luis Gasca (which also featured most of Santana on one or two tracks), Joe Henderson, Carmen McRae and others.

The Rhodes was wonderfully addicting!

Register Sign in to join the conversation