Miscellaneous Rumbles

Éirinn go Brách!! Happy St Patrick’s day kids!

Anyone into genealogy? If you are looking for diversity, most of us can find a lot of it in our own ancestors, like Tavo mentioned.

In descending order, going back to the time just after the year 1700, my wife has found Scot, Polish, Ukrainian, English, Irish and Spanish in her background, while my ancestors come from Scotland, Ireland, Denmark, England, Spain and Norway.

And we may yet discover more.

I believe diversity is our strength.

Totally agree. But you clearly do not understand America and its idea of diversity. America's national motto is "E pluribus Unum." Don't you know what that means? It means: "out of many, one." Our diversity is to forge one. Therefore to celebrate one's Irish heritage or celebrate one's Jewish religion or celebrate one's black skin, to celebrate diversity is un-American.

E pluribus unum, my friend. I fully believe in that and that is why if I were President St. Patrick's Day would be banned. It is un-American and anyone who celebrates St. Patrick's Day is un-American and does not understand this nation. E pluribus unum.

Life takes time, and experimentation.

Take a whole head of cabbage. Core it, take as many outer leaves off to get fresh flesch. Then take an apple corer, and dig down the center without breaking through. Make a 1" hole. Bake upright, until soft, after filling the hole with butter, cider vinegar, honey, salt, pepper, carraway seed.

Let it cool completely. Slice into 1" pie sections around the circumference. Flour on one side, the "down" side, press it in, then fry until cooked through and fully browned in your preferred fat. Don't touch, don't flip. Today, it was schmaltz!!!

When you cook your Corned Beef brisket, do so in water and spices but only fill up to the fat line, boil fat side up after putting a checker-board pattern in the fat, and in a covered baking dish. Then, after removing, let it fully cool. Next step, fry fat side down on low heat in a big non-stick pan, rendering out the fat, then flip and continue to heat through.

It only took 58 years to learn this, and I give it to you today to Bless the Irish!!!

I believe diversity is our strength.

Totally agree. But you clearly do not understand America and its idea of diversity. America's national motto is "E pluribus Unum." Don't you know what that means? It means: "out of many, one." Our diversity is to forge one. Therefore to celebrate one's Irish heritage or celebrate one's Jewish religion or celebrate one's black skin, to celebrate diversity is un-American.

E pluribus unum, my friend. I fully believe in that and that is why if I were President St. Patrick's Day would be banned. It is un-American and anyone who celebrates St. Patrick's Day is un-American and does not understand this nation. E pluribus unum.

– Spiritwalker

If I may- "out of many, one" is accurate, but your Founding Fathers appear to have used the phrase to symbolically unite the 13 colonies into one Republic- that is to say " out of many (13 colonies), one (country)".

If you look into the original examples of the Great Shield -specifically the designs done in 1776, the story gets rather more complex. One draft drawing (attached) shows the 13 small shields (the colonies) together with six more symbols depicting the "countries from which these States have been peopled"- the Rose (England),Thistle(Scotland), Harp (Ireland), fleur-de-lis (France), Lion (Holland) and an Imperial Eagle (Germany).

Congress rejected this design and after several more tries, the current Seal was accepted by Congress in 1782 with this notation by (Continental Congress Secretary) Charles Thomson: " the motto E pluribus unum alludes to the union between the states and federal government, as symbolized by the shield on the eagle's breast. The thirteen stripes "represent the several states all joined in one solid compact entire, supporting a Chief, which unites the whole & represents Congress."

Thus it appears that while Congress was in favor of the phrase, ultimately they chose to use it in reference to the 13 colonies and not the diversity of the colonists.

FWIW (Sorry, I was a history major)

Great post, Kevin Frye. Didn't know that.

However....is it possible that e pluribus unum has evolved and is now commonly accepted to mean the diversity of our nation's peoples is to be one?

However....is it possible that e pluribus unum has evolved and is now commonly accepted to mean the diversity of our nation's peoples is to be one?

– Spiritwalker

Apparently you didnt understand clearly, the founding father's intent. Intent is everything.

The artistic consultant for the design of the official seal of the U.S., The Great Seal, suggested that this "E Pluribus Unum" be placed on the seal, which it finally was in 1782 after three major revisions to the seal design. In this context, this was meant to signify the 13 colonies forming one unified government.

Absolutely nothing to do with everyone becoming a transmorphed generic entity. Our diversity as PEOPLE is our Strength, and that very fact is to be celebrated. Thank heaven that if one does become president, they cant tyranically impose racial policy on a particular group of people to appease their own narrow biases.

We ARE one, but we are not the same.

Dude, what about the concept of the melting pot? That's what I stand for. We all bring something different to the table, but it is served as one big meal. From many, one.

I often ask people this: Make a statue of an American. What would you sculpt? Answer...you can't do it. I can easily make a statue of a Japanese. A Saudi. An Ethiopian. A Swede. A statue of an American? Can't be done. Our diversity is melted into one. I like that.

My family came over the ocean from Italy. I don't celebrate Columbus Day...I celebrate the 4th of July. If I were President, all "diverse" holidays would be outlawed. National Guard would ensure it.

– Spiritwalker

In the final analysis, none of us can say how or how much something may have evolved in the privacy of someone's mind. Not me, that`s for sure. However, it looks to me as though the Fathers rejected the homogenization model during the process of their debate. In the original drawing, there were "different peoples" represented. However, by the time Congress approved the official version, they -the "different peoples"- had been removed, and per Mr Thomson's words, Congress certainly seemed to be specific about the intent of the motto.

by the time Congress approved the official version, they - the "different peoples" - had been removed

I don't like learning about the Founding Fathers; seems the more I learn, the more I come to see that any idea of equality and liberty for all was just a load of hogwash. Orwellian: All men are created equal, but some are more equal than others. The Founding Fathers seem to feel that. Perhaps Mr. Orwell wasn't writing about Communism after all.

It was 1935 when the family sent a member School Teacher back to Germany for the Summer.

She made the Tree back to 1598, when local records were destroyed during the 30 years War with the Swedes.

This was beyond the connections already in place with Cousins who came over periodically after our Civil War.

I have gone back for two Reunions...Lots of fun.

My efforts with The Mormon "Genealogy.com" back in 2001 took us back one more generation, so 1570 or so confirmed by another branch. In trade, they got all the details, an aerial photo of the town, and a picture of the Family House.

That long standing Farmhouse/Barn of my Farmer Cousin finally needed to be demolished after ~425 years just last year...

Melting Pot it is...

By celebrating Columbus Day, and St. Paddy's Day, Chinese New Year, Thaddeus Kosciusko Day, Cinco de Mayo etc...on those days in particular, we all share in the happiness our forefathers felt when they walked off those boats and into their new lives. The 4th is the ultimate celebration, obviously.

Many of us have ancestors who left everything behind in order to come here. Walk around Ellis Island for a few hours, I guarantee that somewhere during your visit, you will be in tears.

By celebrating Columbus Day, and St. Paddy's Day, Chinese New Year, Thaddeus Kosciusko Day, Cinco de Mayo etc...on those days in particular, we all share in the happiness our forefathers felt when they walked off those boats and into their new lives. The 4th is the ultimate celebration, obviously.

Many of us have ancestors who left everything behind in order to come here. Walk around Ellis Island for a few hours, I guarantee that somewhere during your visit, you will be in tears.

– Deed Eddy

What she said....

– Deed Eddy

yep.. what Deed said. ..except for one, the cinco de mayo thing. Even if my Father's Mother's grandmothers forefathers celebrated mexico's independence from spain, she was much happier here with my Father's Father bringing her from Chihuahua to New Mexico where she became an American citizen having married him. No boats involved. :)

I celebrate your Italian heritage. I celebrate Tavo's Irish/Mexican heritage. That doesn't mean that I think either of you are un-American. As often stated above, yet apparently disregarded, it was the diversity in the backgrounds of people coming from many different nations to forge a singular nation. As long as we are all pulling in the same direction -- for a better America for all of us -- then I don't have any problem with recognizing people's ancestry. It is one of the things that makes us who we are.

I don't disagree, Bob. Diversity is to be honored at every opportunity.

Where we came from has shaped who and what we are now, of that there is no doubt. But so long as we call ourselves citizens of (in my case) Canada, it's possible to celebrate both our diverse heritages (ie- St Paddy's Day) and our common goal (one nation, a better one for all its citizens).

That said, my note on the Founding Fathers and "e pluribus unum" rests on the record of US history. Their intent for the motto was the 13 colonies united as one.

Indeed, Kevin. Celebrating one's past does not preclude us from celebrating the future.

Register Sign in to join the conversation