Miscellaneous Rumbles

Early retirement?

Spending more time at the Ranch due to the “situation.” Bought a boat and it snowed the next day.... that’s a good omen, right? Anyway, I’ve been leisurely working on my new boat, a 1955 Wizard. She’s a beauty but needs a little attention.

Gotta love the “aqua meter!”

Thinking I’ll need a “captains” hat...

And perhaps a pipe....

BOAT means break out another thousand.

The hat's a requirement, but the pipe is called a churchwarden.---not too nautical. It'd be OK if you're a hobbit, tho.

Nice classic boat!

Heck of a nice pond there in Shasta to putt around on. Always liked the Pitt River arm....til it goes dry.

Now that's how to respond to the coronavirus!

I feel like I've been sent into involuntary early retirement. Business has dried up to the point that I may as well not work. It's not just the coronavirus - it's digital photography and iPhones making people think they can take their own photos. Well I guess they can - but they generally look awful!

So it's into my "workshop" I go, pumping out all sorts of things. Halfway through my second tweed cab now.

I decided on a vintage pipe, I picture boating around and finding a shady cove and enjoying a smoke.

It’s all about “lifestyle” at this point!

it's digital photography and iPhones making people think they can take their own photos. Well I guess they can - but they generally look awful! - Jimmy R

Same as happened when the first PC-based recording software showed up. Suddenly anyone with $120 and a laptop was calling himself or herself a "producer" and recording became a DIY thing for a lot of people who used to use small, quality studios like the one I had opened.

Took a bath on that.

Same as happened when the first PC-based recording software showed up. Suddenly anyone with $120 and a laptop was calling himself or herself a "producer" and recording became a DIY thing for a lot of people who used to use small, quality studios like the one I had opened. Took a bath on that.

Same thing happened to my animation career. In 1984, I was the only game in town with computer based animation. As long as I kept up with technology I could out-run the newbies, but eventually, any punk just outta college with a laptop and Flash could make crude animation, and because cheapness usually trumps quality, my run was slowly ending. I can’t be too mad. The same technology that gave me a career also gave my career a lifespan. All things must pass.

I spend the 80’s and 90’s honing my skills as both a bass player and studio engineer. The bass player is usually the 2nd most dispensable member of a working band (after Roland pretty much killed the drummer), and the posts above tell how much studio engineers are needed these days.

But we digress; nice looking boat Hip, and I thoroughly approve of the headwear and pipe - that really is a beautiful piece of briar. Happy sailing!

Cool. That’s the type of boat my wife and I like.

Maybe a good time to practice your scat singing too!

Ahh, boating. Slippery slope my friend. I started with a $7,000.00 Catalina 22’ sailboat. Now I have a boat mortgage 2/3 of my house mortgage and have dropped a lot of cake on down payments, maintenance, marina fees, etc. over the last several years. Right now my boat investment is showing better returns than my IRA.

Go for it!

Thanks guys and gals. This is a “low budget” project. I live in the land of plenty for cheap vintage boats.

I love where I’m at. Wouldn’t trade the adventures on the water for anything. Boats are a little bit like guitars. I was once satisfied with a beat up used Yamaha acoustic.

If we had some beautiful lakes surrounded by forest here I could see the attraction of boating. Unfortunately here we have an ocean and river where the breeze howls though most summer afternoons and lakes are shallow cloudy things where boats are generally not allowed. Plus the snakes would put you off unloading the boat I suspect! I have a friend who likes to take his boat out a few kms off the coast to go fishing but you have to be careful with the weather or have a strong stomach!

As far as tech making my job redundant - I have spent over 20 years as a photographer. Not too long ago I set up a shot for a school where I arranged kids around an under-cover table where I could see the light was perfect, used a long lens with wide aperture to minimise depth of field, framed two of the kids with other kids who were out of focus and took a test shot. It worked out perfectly to illustrate individual friendship amongst a sea of people, and managed to look wholesome, fun and friendly. The light on the faces was clean, soft and bright, showing off their perfect skin. A subtle backlight emphasised the warmth and freshness of the scene. Basically everything the school wanted to project. Years of experience helped me to identify the location, how to pose the kids, how much to direct them (not much), who to choose, etc etc etc... As I reviewed the shot on the back of the camera a teacher looked down at it and said "wow - you must have a great camera!"

I once heard that a boat will provide you with the two greatest days of your life - the day you buy it and the day you sell it.

The same is true of Land Rovers apparently.

When I was a 8 or 10 years old, my grandfather gifted our young family with a small fishing boat. My dad, a former Merchant Marine and Naval Academy grad who had been on ships and sailing vessels, took it out for a spin and when asked how he liked it, said “it was OK, like driving a car, but without the scenery.”

Nothing beats a canoe on a mellow river or stream on a quiet morning.

I love my kayak! This is just a kayak, with more wind in your face!

Besides people can sneak up on you in the water, this gives the opportunity for the quick getaway.

Somewhere on the internet I read a mans account of his childhood. His father had a boat very similar to mine with the same outboard on it. As a kid he loved that boat and thought it was the fastest boat in the world, he later bought a vintage boat for himself to relive that wonderful time of his life.

Does the year of motor match the year of the boat?

No, boat is a “55” motor is a “59”

Hard to make out in the photo but it looks like an Evenrude? Very cool. combo!

Register Sign in to join the conversation