Miscellaneous Rumbles

Dyna Discussion

Thanks Proteus. I'm deciding this week. If I go with Classics, given how good the HS Filters sound with aluminum, I'm sure it will be lovely. If I go with the TArmonds, I'll see how I like it. Doubt I or anyone could out twang DE with any gear...

DE has a secret to get his twang, a fingers picking guitar effects amps combination which could be nice he reveal for us :)

I guess I'm in the camp of not really a fan of Dynasonics. I love hearing others play them but they just don't work for me.

The two worest sounding Gretsch guitars I had were Dyna equipped and that's been enough for me.

I'm thinkin about a Tru-Arc tho on my 6122-1959 once I sell some crap on ebay.

Im requoting /paraphrasing from an email i sent to Sturmmerson last week when we were talking about pickups, as I've been thinking on the Dyna/filter question myself a bit lately...

I had TV Classics on the 5120 but really fell in love with the Dyna sound, especially on bigger CC's . Its a very distinctive tone, but I've been "hearing" some filter qualities I'd like to have around. Ultimately I'd like guitars with each -- either another Club but w/Filters, or perhaps a filter Jet.

They do have that clear but big low end, which nothing else has. They also have that fascinating hollow -ish low mid range thing going on that you dont find on anything else. The highs arent perhaps as sweet as on filters, but that may be just dialing them in.

Dynas for sure can growl and they have their own kind of chime, but its an altogether different kind of growl and chime. I dont know if this makes sense, but if you think of "chime" as a spectrum or continuum, then filters would be on the shimmery end of the line, and dynas on the sparkly end.

Dynas are also supremely articulate. In listening to the board mix from the show as I was synching up the videos, I think a piece like our Waltz would have almost benefited for something a little smoother -- the faster passages in the solo section are almost too articulate, flirting with crossing the border from punchy to ragged. And yet I love the tone of these -- I dont think I hear filters tone-wise on the Waltz, for example.

That said, this was the first gig with this, and because they're so responsive, I still have to learn to control and finesse my right hand attack accordingly, especially in a live setting. I think dynas require a lighter touch, whereas w/filters you can dig in and they'll compress a bit and be more forgiving.

Dynas take no quarter, and I'm still feeling my way around that. As Proteus said, you do have to learn how to play them.

I'm taking 2 guitars to Strummers first chance, a Dyna equipped SSLVO and a RHH with TV Classics, for comparison on his Delisle amp

Thanks Proteus. I'm deciding this week. If I go with Classics, given how good the HS Filters sound with aluminum, I'm sure it will be lovely. If I go with the TArmonds, I'll see how I like it. Doubt I or anyone could out twang DE with any gear...

– Strummerson

aluminum tru-arc with open top filtertrons= love

aluminum tru-arc with t-armonds= holy crap my gums are bleeding

@Jeff - Thought I was bringing the amp to you. Just let me know how and when and where. Looking forward to it.

@Tavo - Ah, but can I get open top filters? And if I decide to go T-As and my gums start bleeding, I guess I'll need to switch over to a stainless replacement. As the saying goes: if it's good enough for Duane...well...I should be able to manage a sad approximation.

And the verdict is in. Thanks much to Jeff (whose children are infinitely more adorable than one might reasonably predict regarding the offspring of a confessed jackweed).

T-Armonds!

It's gonna be a Dyna Rose with a modified harness. Pup switch will be a kill switch, neck volume will be a pup blender, bridge volume will be a bass cut, master tone and volume will have linear tapers and the MV will be a 1 meg pot with treble bleed.

Very cool! Glad you had the chance to test them out in person. That wiring scheme should cover a lot of ground!

Yeah. It's based off my Reverend. Some of the purists (guess who) think it's overly complex and thus out of place on a GreTscH. But I love the blender.

In the end, I could get more of what I love abt Classics from T-Armonds than vice versa. My riffs really sounded great with the articulateness of the T-As. It wasn't nearly as difficult as I thought it would be. Pretty much knew right away, then just went back and forth a few times confirming it.

I SHOULD have posted this in the pickup section!

Here's my take and maybe explains why some get them home and they're not happy with their choice. Playing out they bite through anything with a really nice crunch. No pedal needed as I see it, in fact the pedal seems to be the most challenging part of the balance. Those that have it dialed in I give you a lot of credit if you can keep them from squealing like a stuck pig. The first time I appreciated the 'tone' was in Nashville when Joe Carducci was playing Tim's green jet and kicked out a solo I can still hear (what). That night I heard the pickups as they were meant to be heard, I think. BUT I've found that whenever I play then in a shop situation they sound like AM radio, thin and a ton-o-treble. And to add to that, I dig 'em in the neck position, they have a completely different puppy a little farther from the strings and bridge. The '55 spruce topped Electro with the single neck Dyna sounds great, nice and balanced.

– TheNocturneBrain.com

– WIREDTURTLE here SINCE2002

I didn't hear it that way with my DSW. I though it really opened the guitar up without being shrill. I loved it myself.

Register Sign in to join the conversation