Miscellaneous Rumbles

Dyna Discussion

I have to say I'm fascinated by all the Dyna talk on the GDP and I'm very interested in the attraction. With that said, I've been a PAF FilterTron user since 1974 and I have to say there isn't a sound I can't get out of these pickups other than the out of phase Strat thing. They can bite like Dyan's if I adjust the amp but choose not to because it hurts my ears. I really do like the Dyna sound in the neck position which really works well, it's the bridge that I can't do. So is the attraction looks, history, people that play or have played them, I'm curious?

EDIT: Keep in mind this post isn't intended to disparage anyone but solely for my own education. There are many here on this forum that use and prefer the Dynasonic that I really respect so the intent isn't to go ugly but more of a meaningful discussion about, get this, guitars.

I don't own a dyna equipped guitar but I have always been intrigued by the opinions of those on here that I admire and respect, such as you , Curt. I am interested to see where this discussion will go.

I like both filters and dynas but can't get them to imitate each other. I really enjoy the low end bassy twang you can get with a neck dynasonic but love the honk of filters.

For that reason and my playing style, which is usually both pickups on all the time and each at full volume and for a few songs I play solely on the neck pickup, I like the combination of a Filtertron in the bridge and a Dyna in the neck. I'm patiently waiting for TV to offer the Dynas in the filter mount so I can finally get this combo without any drilling.

For me, a dynasonic in the bridge position is a little too ice picky and a filtertron in the neck lacks the low end bassy twang or thump I need.

Also, as far as looks go I think the Filters and Dynasonics are awesome looking. They look much better than any strat, or paf type humbucker.

As a rockabilly/country player, I've never run across a humbucker that I could get "my" sound out of. I've played peoples' guitars with many different kinds, including TV Classics that I had in a Pro Jet and none of them do it for me. I could probably get by with one in the neck position, but the bridge position is the big hang-up for me. I really want to be able to get that snappy in-your-face deep growl on the low E string, and that's where single coils really deliver for me. I have played some humbucker equipped guitars that I really liked, but so far I've never found one that could give me everything I wanted out of it.

I had a dyna equipped 6120, the Eddie Cochran before it was called that, I think. I didn't get along with it at all. I pulled it & it sits in a box waiting for a trade or offer of good money or somethin'... I've heard some great sounds come out of Dynas, but not by me.8-) I've found that I am much more of a Supertron type than any other Gretsch style PU. Dynas seem to require a playing style that feeds them exactly what they want. I think of them as picky eaters.

While I don't quite get why BZ thinks FilterTrons sound unavoidably attached to an accordion, or vice versa, I haven't yet been able to get that snappy articulation from the Filters that I want. I think they sound great, but I want more definition and articulateness than I have been able to get so far. Dynas seem like the solution (though I haven't tried classics). In another thread, someone claimed hyperboliclly that Dynas are only good for country. That seems odd to me, given the crunch and grind that Zoom pulls out of them. Seems like there is considerable overlap between Filters and Dynas, but not total. And us hair-splitters hear the differences in an amplified way.

And then there are the hands. On Setzer's youtube clip of "Ghost Radio," the tune he wrote with Strummer (not his son), he's playing a silver sparkle Jet with Dynas. Still sounds like Setzer to me. And plenty of folks have tried to get Duane Eddy's twang out of Dynas and come close...sort of...

All in all, I don't think they are as radically different as ice cream and steak. It's more like chocolate and vanilla ice cream. But I also don't doubt Curt's claim that he can get all the Dyna sounds he would want out of Filters. But there's clearly a huge difference between the two of us in terms of knowledge and experience. Some things can't be acquired on ebay.

i like them for for single note clarity,not so much for strummimg clean or dirty too much angery banjo overtones :( why i favor humbuckers/filters...why i like when they work together... stand alone meh!... but i do like the "chime "they can deliver. why i still have my guild... ;-)

I used to feel just like you did Curt. What changed it for me was getting my 55 6121, the back pickup on that guitar is the most spanky but yet in a warm way without being shrill. I think the guitar has a lot to do with it, along with the right strings and pickup height. There is an adjustment period coming off filters for sure, you have to spend the time and let it get into your playing. These pickups couldn't be any farther away from each other(sound and feel wise) They valve very differently with your hands. I respect and utilize both of these sounds, it's up to the player to coax what the guitar will do within it parameters.

Similar to what others have posted, its the lack of low end in the Filters that steer me towards dynas.

I had TV classics in my 5120, and while i liked some aspects of them, I missed the low end twang/thump, and depending on your chord voicings (and i use some pretty dissonant ones), some aspects of that mid honk/upper end shimmer in Filters made for a very smeary, inarticulate mess, compared to the clarity and definition in a P90 or single coil. I think this may be what BZ means when he says filters sound like a guitar having a duet with an accordion.

I think MacStevenXIII's solution of a dyna in the neck and filter in the bridge is an interesting solution, as i can also relate to his observation that " a dynasonic in the bridge position is a little too ice picky and a filtertron in the neck lacks the low end bassy twang or thump I need. " I put Surf 90s ( i know its not a real dyna, but for purposes of this discussion, lets call it in the ballpark) in my Canton and love it in the neck but its way too harsh in the bridge. The P90 configuration in my P-rail sounded better.

I'm not opposed to finding the right Filter in the right guitar for the right application for me , but thats a such a specific and niche pursuit that I'm not sure the time and expense would be worth it.

Its been a while since I read up on the specifics of each pickups design re magnets/poles/windings etc, but I wonder if a filter/dyna switchable combo , *a la * Seymour Duncan P-Rails, is feasible. Barring that, then a filter that tames some of the shimmer/honk but still retains some mids/highs and gives good low end would be ideal. I hear Magnatrons come close, but I dont have direct experience with them.

I just dropped Dynas in my 5129, and while I like them, the verdict is still out on exactly how much.

One thing I learned is they are very temperamental about height. They can go from mud to icepick in 1/2". It took me a few days of tweaking to get it right, but once I did it really clicked.

I've always considered myself a humbucker guy (be it Gibby or Filter), but I've found in the last few years that I'm really moving more into single coils. I still have filters in my 2910, but those are the only humbuckers I have anymore.

I think there's a place in any arsenal for both pickups, but I'm not sure which I'd go to first at this point. Right now for what I'm playing, it's my 5124 with 2000s, then the 5129 with Dynas, then my 5120 with Surf 90s. Right now the Filter equipped 2910 doesn't leave the case much.

I hear Magnatrons come close, but I dont have direct experience with them

I've had one in the neck of my guitar for a few years now. It definitely has helped keep me satisfied till TV gets those filter mount T'Armonds out. It has more snap and punch than a filter, and little more low end twang but not enough for me.

I might end up putting a Magnatron in the bridge to replace the Classic when I get a T'Armond in the neck . So a T'Armond Neck and Magnatron Bridge might be the next step for me.

Mac, the T'Armond's will fit in the Filter hole and if it's trestle braced the screws fit on the inside corners. If it's not trestle braced you could attach a small piece of wood under the top.

I really like the Magnatron in the neck of my Hot Rod, but i'm not too stoked about the filter in the bridge. I'd like to see what 2 magnas sound like...I'm just not really a fan of a bridge dyna. More and more, i find myself either playing just with the neck pup or both at the same time.

Musta, lack of low end on filters is weird to me because in my experience it's the high range where the adjustment on the amp happens.

Also worth noting...I enjoyed the bridge filter in my 6119. It might have been the longer scale (doubtful), but i think it was more the difference between HS Filtertrons and TV Classics.

I agree with Mac. But to my ear I love the bottom 3 strings (E,A,D) of the Dyna's but love the shimmering sparkle of the 3 (G,B,E) strings of the Filtertrons. So if someone can build me a split pickup that can do that I would be in heaven. :P

I just can't get that ballsy bottom end twang out of the filter's that the Dyna's deliver no matter how much I tweak my amp. Maybe I need to try some different amps and I would really like to try the Magnatrons too.

Mac, the T'Armond's will fit in the Filter hole and if it's trestle braced the screws fit on the inside corners. If it's not trestle braced you could attach a small piece of wood under the top.

– Curt

– Curt

Yeah, I saw the T'Armond install that Tavo did and he mentioned it was a pain in the ass even though they fit in fine. My 6118T-LTV is trestle braced and I was all set to drop one in but figured I'd just wait since TV is promising to have the filter mount version out in the coming months.

I agree with Mac. But to my ear I love the bottom 3 strings (E,A,D) of the Dyna's but love the shimmering sparkle of the 3 (G,B,E) strings of the Filtertrons. So if someone can build me a split pickup that can do that I would be in heaven. :P

I just can't get that ballsy bottom end twang out of the filter's that the Dyna's deliver no matter how much I tweak my amp. Maybe I need to try some different amps and I would really like to try the Magnatrons too.

– JoBigsby

I agree with Mac. But to my ear I love the bottom 3 strings (E,A,D) of the Dyna's but love the shimmering sparkle of the 3 (G,B,E) strings of the Filtertrones. So if someone can build me a split pickup that can do that I would be in heaven. :P

I just can't get that ballsy bottom end twang out of the filter's that the Dyna's deliver no matter how much I tweak my amp. Maybe I need to try some different amps and I would really like to try the Magnatrones too.

– JoBigsby

TOTALLY. For me it's the honk I can get on those B and E strings with a Filtertron.

– JoBigsby

I agree with Mac. But to my ear I love the bottom 3 strings (E,A,D) of the Dyna's but love the shimmering sparkle of the 3 (G,B,E) strings of the Filtertrones. So if someone can build me a split pickup that can do that I would be in heaven. :P

I just can't get that ballsy bottom end twang out of the filter's that the Dyna's deliver no matter how much I tweak my amp. Maybe I need to try some different amps and I would really like to try the Magnatrones too.

– JoBigsby

not to derail this thread, but in reply to JoBigsby, have you seen these? I have no experience with them but they look interesting in response to your split thinking: http://www.railhammer.com/

– JoBigsby

not to derail this thread, but in reply to JoBigsby, have you seen these? I have no experience with them but they look interesting in response to your split thinking: http://www.railhammer.com/

– LarryR

– JoBigsby

– LarryR

Oh my, those look mighty interesting :)

I really, really tried to love Dynas but that love never came. For all the reasons that are mentioned in this thread already as well as the reasons Chet Atkins once stated.

Don't get me wrong I don't press the skip button when Brian Setzer grabs the Silver Jet. It sounds great. In fact that's the reason I wanted to give Dynas a go.

Lack of bass with Filters? Really? I can summon the god of thunder out of mine. (TV Classics btw)

I always blend my bridge and neck pups and adjust the pots to get the tone I want so I don't really appreciate what you guys are referring to.

On or off always seems so ridged to me like a yes or no question.

I have made adjustments to my sound processor that I use when switching from playing lead to rhythm though still dialing a number of settings in, I don't have sounds I can't stand coming out of the guitar. Other than my own mangled playing of course.

Maybe I am off in left field but I always though each guitar has it's own sound and it's your job to find the cream of that sound and bring it out.

I have no extensive experience with Dynas so I can't comment on them. I do like the D'Armond 2000's in my 5128, but I find it's a very narrow spectrum of usability for me. In other words not a go-to guitar, but one I'll play a few specific tunes on in a gig. Now my SSL with it's ceramic Filters, that's another story. If I had to sell all my other guitars and only have one, that's be the one I'd keep in my hands. That guitar just "has it" and between the ceramic Filters and the tone switch I can get pretty much any sound I want out of it.

I'm finding Dynasonics to be the best sounding and most versatile single coil pickup I've ever experienced. It's very important to adjust the poles to achieve their full potential. If the poles are too low they sound weak and if the poles are too high they sound too compressed and start distorting. The sweet spot for the poles is the area right before they start distorting. The tone knob plays an important part in their versatility. If I turn the knob down almost all of the way I can get great P90 style tones, if I turn it more towards the middle it is more in the Strat or Tele realm but with the signature Dyna fatness and if the tone is all the way up it delivers all of the Gretsch chime but still retains the full mids and lows. The tone knob on my Duo Jet seems to mostly act as a treble adjustment knob because the mids and lows are not affected as much which is perfect. Every area in the tone sweep sounds good. There are no mud and no icepicky sounds at either end of the spectrum. Having both pickups on is my favorite tone. I love having this many tonal options coming out of a simple setup.

I really, really tried to love Dynas but that love never came. For all the reasons that are mentioned in this thread already as well as the reasons Chet Atkins once stated.

Don't get me wrong I don't press the skip button when Brian Setzer grabs the Silver Jet. It sounds great. In fact that's the reason I wanted to give Dynas a go.

Lack of bass with Filters? Really? I can summon the god of thunder out of mine. (TV Classics btw)

– Ratrod

– Ratrod

To my ears Dynasonics produce a much more clearly defined bass twang than my TV Jones Classics ever could. Specifically the neck pickup. When I say low end twang I don't mean the classic brittle thin picking notes down by the bridge type of twang, the Classics nail that just fine, what I mean is the punchy, clear, defined, low end twang, or bite. The TVJ Classic just couldn't cut it, it sounded muddy compared to the sound I was going for. Now I'm NOT saying TVJs are muddy though.

I remember when I first got my 6120RHH I brought it to practice and on a few of the songs that I play only the neck pickup my bass player commented that he loved the new guitar but it lacked the balls that my other one did (5129 with a Dynasonic in the neck and a Classic in the bridge) I told him it was missing that nice low end twang from the Dynasonic. He realized that was it.

Register Sign in to join the conversation