Miscellaneous Rumbles

Does anyone still have a “Hi Fi” home Stereo system you use to list…

I wish I still had the Heathkit portable record player that I got as a birthday present. Me and mom put it together; she showed me how to solder. Still love the smell of flux.

Oh yes, I have a LOT of vinyl. Technics SL-1210 deck, Technics CD player, 70s Marantz amp & Q Audio Concept 20 speakers. Back in the day I had Quad valve amps & Tannoy monitor golds. Now that did sound good.

My son just bought some of those Q-Audio Concept 20's and they sound darn good! He also bought a Rega Brio Integrated Amp.....all of this came about because I bought him a Rega Planar 1 turntable for Christmas (he had "amassed" about 20 LP's from some of his favorite artists, but had no way to actually play them...lol).....so, now I'm kind of jealous of his stuff....one reason I started this thread!

You guys have some great stuff....and, Beatbyrd...I'll never be able to figure out how you knew I was pronouncing Teckneek's the wrong way.

My son just bought some of those Q-Audio Concept 20's and they sound darn good! He also bought a Rega Brio Integrated Amp.....all of this came about because I bought him a Rega Planar 1 turntable for Christmas (he had "amassed" about 20 LP's from some of his favorite artists, but had no way to actually play them...lol).....so, now I'm kind of jealous of his stuff....one reason I started this thread!

You guys have some great stuff....and, Beatbyrd...I'll never be able to figure out how you knew I was pronouncing Teckneek's the wrong way.

– Toddfan

In your original post, you wrote 'Techniques' (which would be said as teckneeks), which is what triggered my memory of the many times over the years that I have heard it pronounced that way..... many times by people working in audio stores. Nothin' personal........

I apparently have too much free time........

I got broke and sold off my Dynaco ST-70 about 15 years ago and replaced it with a nice sounding vintage Technics setup. The missus and I regularly spin vinyl from our fairly large collection at the house.

I thought this was more of a yes or no question, but if you want to get into gear...Living room:Technics TT/Shure cartridge, Magnavox DualDAC CD deck, Fisher 500B, modified AR'4x's...TV room: Magnavox DualDAC Cd deck, BGW 250C,modified AR'4x's...Studio:TechnicsTT/Shure Cartridge, Magnavox DualDAC CD deck, Teac cassette deck, Panasonic DAT, Radar 24, 16-trk analog tape, MOTU DAW, Pelonis nearfield monitors, modified AR-4's/ BGW 250E. I don't use any of the big stuff anymore.

I have a Rega Planar 3 turntable that was my dads,i do have another turntable but i can't remember what its called,it's in the attic. Marantz CD 46,Marantz ST4000 tuner,Marantz SD 535 double cassette deck,early 80's Creek 4040 amp that belonged to my dad,my Marantz amp died over 14 years ago so i pulled out dads aul amp ,still working away. Speakers are Tannoy Mercury M2's,i also still have dads aul Akroyd speakers from the 80's.

My Marantz and Tannoy's were bought around late 1996 early 97,i haven't had any urges to upgrade ,well ,maybe a new amp and cd player ,the last time i played a cd it started to skip but when i tried it through the dvd player it was fine ,so aye,a new cd player is on the cards i suppose.

But I'm another who mostly plays music through his aul PC speakers with sub these days. I just listen to the radio in the car as my aul thing doesn't have a cd player and it eats my cassettes .

In your original post, you wrote 'Techniques' (which would be said as teckneeks), which is what triggered my memory of the many times over the years that I have heard it pronounced that way..... many times by people working in audio stores. Nothin' personal........

I apparently have too much free time........

– beatbyrd

I can spell...really!...it's just that my fingers are too fat!

(No offense taken at all...!!!! )

Kenwood amp and 5-disc CD changer with a pair of odd little Glenmonitor speakers. i got it from work where it was abandoned by someone from Sales when he retired.

This past weekend a friend of mine was over ,He points to my "System" and asks, "how do you work one of those things, my grandfather has one in his house,they look cool".

I bought my stuff in Japan back in the late 80's,Yamaha amp,Techniques 1200, Teac, Nakamichi,etc. I used the Base Exchange to get the good stuff. Still have it,still use it,except the speakers they fell off the back of my truck on the 5 freeway.

I recently bought a turntable that allows you to convert your LP's to digital so you burn into CD's. Havent tried it yet.

Yes, my turntable needs servicing though and now that my toddlers has turned into a kid I'm planning to get 'er going again.

Yes ! Put on a record and let it spin. I work with a younger bunch , they change the songs on their devices before it even starts ! I had few of them over for a beer, and told one them he could just take of the record and plug in his phone. He stoped in front of the Technics 1210 and froze - he had never seen anything like it.

I have an old solid state stereo cab with turntable. It don't work but I think that it's worth fixing. Anyone with a strong back and a pick up truck can have it. I'll post pics if you want. Munman has dibs. I really want something older.

I love my Hi Fi. I’m knee deep in Rotel amps with a Rotel DAC and a VPI turntable. B & W speakers.

it’s a lot of fun. It’s a getaway in my house. No other media.

Listening to vinyl is a rekindled love affair. I am really impressed with some new vinyl production. And equally impressed with old lp’s I’ve had played on a great system.

The DAC makes CDs sound amazingly warm.

The HI FI is a great way to get away.

I would. But my Pioneer receiver needs significant repairs. And I don't think there's anyone around anymore who can do the job.

Ah, yes. A good stereoset. Love the stuff, but i also love the modern stuff.

So at the moment my setup is my laptop with a Dragonfly usb-converter going direct intoto a old Bryston-set (1B & 2B!). Speakers are old old B&W DM2a's ('refreshed' with some audiophile capacitors) and this combination still sounds wonderful.

My cd collection is ripped to a harddrive and i can stream anything i like and of course i still have the trusty old turntable, a nice Sansui.

I still have some cassette- and stereo-tapemachines, and my collection of more than 600 cassettes and reel-to-reel tapes, but don't use them much.

Then again, i'm a nutcase, because i also run a tiny analog studio. So i'm definately biased.

I'm also looking for new stuff. My amp crackles and my speakers have ring rot.

Yamaha's latest stereo amps are boutique quality. The as1100 is absolute top. The as801 is already filled with all wireless and usb stuff.

You don't want a cd player no more. Just some data holder with all your CDs ripped to wavs or flacs that you can operate with your smartphone.

The as1100 would need a Heoslink by Denon because that amp is 100% amp. The advantage is that you can toss away the Heoslink when it breaks or when the wireless protocols get outdated.

Yamaha also excells at their phono stages. I bought a Technics 1200 turntable recently which is good enough for me. I collected a lot of weird cool vinyl.

The speakers are a problem. I want them to sound fresh but not harsh. They must have a dry powerful bass which doesn't fade or boost at certain notes (common problem!). So far I liked the brand new B&W 7 series. Very expensive and they need a top amp like the Yamaha. It's no use having small speakers on a stand. You might as well get the better sounding floor standing speakers as the space is wasted anyway. I have to check more brands to see if anything can outperform the 703S2 at a lower price tag.

Geoff....I've really considered that Yamaha AS-801. I like that it has all the digital stuff already built into it (but like you say, that will eventually "date" the thing). I definitely like that the phone stage is already built-in (to me, a lot of different boxes and associated wires is a detriment). It has nice power rating, too. The AS-1100 is a hefty bit more than I am wanting to spend....lol. My only reason for wanting the disc player would be the ability to play the few SACD's that I have...so, that is definitely a back burner item for me.

Realizing that I said above that I do not like the idea of a bunch of different boxes...I am smitten by some equipment by a company called Schiit (YES...that is really the name, and it is pronounced just like you think). They make a Vidar power amp with hefty power. The have a couple of separate pre-amps that have a "tube stage" built in to consider. The downside is I would need a separate phono stage and a separate DAC....and, possibly a separate Tone Control stage...that's FIVE boxes to replicate what is in the AS-801!

There's a good chance that I might just end up owning a pile of Schiit in the near future!

I am also interested in some equipment by a company called EMOTIVA, their Base-X series. They have a separate power amp @ around 140 watts per channel (if I recall) and a pre-amp that has all the phono stage, DAC and even an FM tuner built-in....best of all, both would cost about $700....so, it is a steal of a price. They get very good reviews on Amazon...but, the cork-sniffer audiophile crowd seems to snub them.....(a lot like the guitar world, maybe??? ). Like the Electromatic series of guitars, Emotiva would probably be more stereo than I would ever need....but....would I always want the "pro-line"????

So...I'm still "researching"....trying to decide what, if anything, I might do. (Truth be told, at the volumes I am listening what I now own is probably more than adequate )

Anyway...its fun to look....and, I appreciate all of the comments here by everyone....it is very interesting to hear what you are using and see where audio systems are heading!

I'm also looking for new stuff. My amp crackles and my speakers have ring rot.

Yamaha's latest stereo amps are boutique quality. The as1100 is absolute top. The as801 is already filled with all wireless and usb stuff.

You don't want a cd player no more. Just some data holder with all your CDs ripped to wavs or flacs that you can operate with your smartphone.

The as1100 would need a Heoslink by Denon because that amp is 100% amp. The advantage is that you can toss away the Heoslink when it breaks or when the wireless protocols get outdated.

Yamaha also excells at their phono stages. I bought a Technics 1200 turntable recently which is good enough for me. I collected a lot of weird cool vinyl.

The speakers are a problem. I want them to sound fresh but not harsh. They must have a dry powerful bass which doesn't fade or boost at certain notes (common problem!). So far I liked the brand new B&W 7 series. Very expensive and they need a top amp like the Yamaha. It's no use having small speakers on a stand. You might as well get the better sounding floor standing speakers as the space is wasted anyway. I have to check more brands to see if anything can outperform the 703S2 at a lower price tag.

– Geoff_Vane

Geoff, If you bring your speakers to a high end audio shop, they can ship them out to a company that “re-foams” the speakers and they will be as good as new. It’s not that expensive.

No, as my Altec 14's finally "aged out". I too need to get them "refoamed" so I can turn the Haflers back on.

One of these days

Oh yeah! I still have a couple hundred vinyl LP's, a few dozen cassettes, and a couple thousand CD's.

MP3's through earbuds is no way to appreciate music!

In the living room I have my Marantz turntable, Onkyo dual cassette dubbing deck, Technics CD changer and Philips CD dubbing deck, all through a Kenwood receiver and a pair of Linear Phase 3-way speakers (12" woofers) that were designed as studio monitors. In my office/studio room I have a Sony 200 CD player and Sony receiver through a pair of Bose bookshelf speakers. It's a small room, so plenty of sound.

And in the garage I still have my Lafayette 25 watt amp and speakers that I've had since high school. They still work, but I have no place to hook them up at present --- used to have them at work, and may do again at some point.

Ah, yes. A good stereoset. Love the stuff, but i also love the modern stuff.

So at the moment my setup is my laptop with a Dragonfly usb-converter going direct intoto a old Bryston-set (1B & 2B!). Speakers are old old B&W DM2a's ('refreshed' with some audiophile capacitors) and this combination still sounds wonderful.

My cd collection is ripped to a harddrive and i can stream anything i like and of course i still have the trusty old turntable, a nice Sansui.

I still have some cassette- and stereo-tapemachines, and my collection of more than 600 cassettes and reel-to-reel tapes, but don't use them much.

Then again, i'm a nutcase, because i also run a tiny analog studio. So i'm definately biased.

– will

My B&W DM1800s are still sounding strong. Have them currently plugged into a dared MP5 hybrid tube amp that I originally bought for listening with my Alessandro MS Pro headphones, but it (the dared) powers the monitors beautifully since I've stored my Nakamichi TA4.

I have a Carver Amp and Pre-amp from the '80's, a Pioneer CD player from the 90's, Realistic Turntable from the '70's and Vienna Acoustics speakers from the 90's. Quite a hodgepodge of equipment. But is sounds pretty damn good and lives in the basement. Upstairs we have something more modern B&W surround system and Marantz equipment used in conjunction with the TV, etc.

Got one again a few years ago. Complies with the "wife factor", in fact she insisted we get it. Does CDs as well as Vinyls, good sound quality, not near any of you guys set ups, but has central place in the living room...

Yes I do. Nothing too expensive but good enough sound. I prefer music out of a stereo than a computer. I listen to vinyl still and do listen to CDs. The MP3 and the other formats on computer don't sound so good but I will listen to them when I am at work but at home mostly stereo.

Register Sign in to join the conversation