Miscellaneous Rumbles

Do You Try Many Styles Of Music?

I try not to play any style and that works very well. Because mostly people say they have no clue what the hell I am doing..... ; )

Hmmm, lessee, styles I've played in band contexts - metal, punk, oldies rock & roll, blues, reggae believe it or not (I was in a pop covers band waaay back in 1990, that did UB40's reggae version of "I've Got You Babe" because we kept on getting a request for some reggae), southern rock. Styles I play for enjoyment - prog rock (I was into it bigtime, back in the early 80s), jazz (my favorite "clean sounding" guitar music - I also played valve trombone in the college jazz band), folk guitar ala John Fahey (LOOVE his song "The Red Pony").

I go through phases musically. Lately (after dabbling in jazz - no, I'm not done with jazz), I've gotten a hankering to pull out the Gibson J-35, and do some more acoustic music. Also, since I have another Mesa Boogie amp (my first one since the 90s [Mesa Boogies were my amp of choice from 1993-1999]), I also have a hankering to blast away on some stoner metal ala the band Sleep.

The only stuff I never really have gotten interested enough to try, is hardcore country (though I do dabble in alt-country every once in a awhile), and twangy oldies. In 38 years of guitar playing, I've never been a fan of bright, twangy sound (though what I call beefy twang is fine by me - so is surf music), or show tunes. When it comes to Classical music - I've already done it on brass instruments (the last time I played that stuff was in college), and don't seem to have much of a desire to do it on guitar.

My kids used to claim that I play Country Elevator Music.

– senojnad

LOL

– senojnad

Sounds cool. Always wanted to try this style. Is there a good method book I can buy?

Register Sign in to join the conversation