Miscellaneous Rumbles

Do You Try Many Styles Of Music?

OK, now that it has been established in that other thread that we all seem to have waaaaay too much gear, let's find out what we do with it.

Watching the Grammys last night and I saw Bruno Mars - essentially a soul / R'n'B artist - actually do incredibly well playing a rock solo on guitar. Many here can do a pretty good rock solo...but can you funk? Can you skank a reggae groove? Can you chicken pick country? What I am asking is do you venture often into other genres of music you may not have a passion for?

Me? Yup. I want to play like Scotty Moore, Nile Rodgers, Bob Marley, Joe Strummer, Brad Paisley....in other words I almost on a daily basis play stuff other than rock and roll.

So, do you often try other genres? And tell what you never play. Me? I never ever try that Progressive rock stuff.

A few months ago my Grandson listened to me play a range of stuff from the Beatles to light Classical to Show Tunes and back again, and he said everything I played sounded the same.

Yep, I've tried both kinds: Country AND Western!

I play everything from Beatles to Monkees.

Nothing much else there than that, is there?

I play everything from Beatles to Monkees.

Nothing much else there than that, is there?

– crowbone

The Rutles

I try many styles of music. I'm fairly versatile but in a limited capacity.

I am a solid rhythm guitar player for punk, rock, rockabilly, ska, reggae, funk, country AND western as well as most styles of music you could label with a genre. I have a decent chord vocabulary and I have a really good feel for the pocket. I've recently been working on single note picking arpeggios so I can smoothly play songs like Leonard Cohen's Hallelujah and I'm forever interested in becoming better at lead playing which in my perspective I still feel like a beginner. I need to discipline myself to incorporate the theory I've learned and mostly forgotten on the guitar. I also need to develop a knowledge of more scales and how to apply them.

Give me a groove, I'll hang as long as I can.

The stuff I like best is funk, jazz, R&B, rock, blues, reggae, Brazilian and various fusions thereof.

As I've alluded many times here, I'm not a big fan of country, but I have played it on a few occasions. I've played lotsa classical in my day, so that's in the mix too. I was gonna say I've never played rap, but technically that's not quite true, as I've played several times with a Jamaican reggae-rap duo called Michigan and Smiley. I spent several years immersed in North Indian classical and devotional music, where I rarely even listened to anything else. I've dabbled in Middle Eastern musical styles and various types of African and Caribbean music, as well as some Cajun and Zydeco.

I've even played a punk song or two here and there, so about the only styles I've never attempted are metal, techno, klezmer and schlock (like, say, Lawrence Welk or Wayne Newton). And various world music traditions that I haven't been exposed to enough to even identify.

Yea, I think about that sometimes. I guess I'm ok at rock, but mainly country and rockabilly these days. I played classical a while back, some punk, roots, blues and americana. I guess once I dove off the deep end into the whole chicken picking/country thing, it swallowed me whole. It's a difficult genre to master (does anybody ever REALLY master any genre?), and doesn't leave much time for learning other things. It encompasses so many things; travis picking, blues, jazz, mixolodian, triads, double stops....... When I get to the point where I feel that I've really got a handle on it, and can gig comfortably and competently without having to constantly practice, I might dive into some jazz or learn some funk. Every time I try some different stuff, I have fun, but feel like I'm cheating on my real goal, and just allowing myself to get distracted.

The Rutles

– Otter

Touchè.

All you need is cash!

I've always railed against the limiting effects of categorization of music. As a listener, it never made much sense to like or dislike any music because of other people's pigeon holing. Lately, what gives me the most listening happiness is the genre busting of groups like Postmodern Jukebox ...

...or Lake Street Dive...

As far as playing goes, after years of playing Beatles, James Taylor and Cat Stevens, Tull, Yes and Steeleye Span, I'm now getting my Leon Redbone on, playing songs from the first half of the 20th century.

Postmodern Jukebox makes me very happy

My absolute favorite version of Guns N Roses by PMJ

I think a guitar player needs to be rounded and be able to at least get through most genres in some fashion. Being from Texas, everyone would probably and do out here, say.. "he's a blues player". Yeah, I can do that, but I too like Country, I like Jazz, and lots in between and try to either incorporate or learn something in that style that I can use in my normal playing. A one trick pony is exactly that. IF that is all that is called for, cool, but sometimes you need more...

I can deal with most every kind of music except the kind that requires urban yodeling and dancing.

Oh, and disco.

OK, now that it has been established in that other thread that we all seem to have waaaaay too much gear, let's find out what we do with it.

Watching the Grammys last night and I saw Bruno Mars - essentially a soul / R'n'B artist - actually do incredibly well playing a rock solo on guitar. Many here can do a pretty good rock solo...but can you funk? Can you skank a reggae groove? Can you chicken pick country? What I am asking is do you venture often into other genres of music you may not have a passion for?

Me? Yup. I want to play like Scotty Moore, Nile Rodgers, Bob Marley, Joe Strummer, Brad Paisley....in other words I almost on a daily basis play stuff other than rock and roll.

So, do you often try other genres? And tell what you never play. Me? I never ever try that Progressive rock stuff.

– Spiritwalker

I am mainly a thumb-picker. My other favored style is hybrid picking reminiscent of Roger McGuinn. I have attempted country style chicken pickin' which is really hybrid picking. James Burton is one of my favorites. I have attempted blues, but I wouldn't by any stretch of the imagination call me a blues guitar player. Something closely related however is that sort of ragtime/Piedmont style of playing which I play on occasion. Blind Blake, and Rev. Gary Davis come to mind.

Reggae? Nope. Funk? Nah. Jazz? No, although I do play some old jazz/swing standards thumb style.

I really admire the playing of Roy Buchanan and Danny Gatton. Those guys are will outside my style of playing. Johnny Hiland is someone I'd like to be able to play like.

i enjoy trying different things but when i see a band i like em to be 'in a style' not genre hopping.

I play in two bands, and contemporary Christian praise band and an Old Time Bluegrass Gospel band. I play some Guitar, Mandolin, Dobro and Banjo with the gospel band. Great fun...

Try? Yes. Succeed? Questionable...

– General_Lee

Yup, this.

Ska, for example is something I really can't do.

I've always railed against the limiting effects of categorization of music. As a listener, it never made much sense to like or dislike any music because of other people's pigeon holing. Lately, what gives me the most listening happiness is the genre busting of groups like Postmodern Jukebox ...

...or Lake Street Dive...

As far as playing goes, after years of playing Beatles, James Taylor and Cat Stevens, Tull, Yes and Steeleye Span, I'm now getting my Leon Redbone on, playing songs from the first half of the 20th century.

– Bob Howard

Disappointed. I thought Lake Side Dive was going to do a cover of this "I Want You Back".

A friend of mine said that he felt that he wasn't good at any one thing. He was passable at best with a bunch of genres, but wasn't really GOOD at any of them. So he dedicated a year to learning and playing JUST the blues. He would cheat every now and then, but for the most part, everything he practiced was the blues. New theories, new scales, new practice routines.

At the end of the year, he sounded great at blues and it seemed to me that the quality of versatility is perhaps not without its price.

That's why I ordered a bunch of jazz instruction.

I dabble in a wide range of styles... I use my Gretsch whenever I can...

I play and write Swing, Afro-cuban, Latin (Bossa Nova, Tango, Cha Cha ) Calypso, Caberet , Jazzy, Waltzes, Rockabilly, Country, Rock, Alternative rock, Fingerstyle Folk (mostly on acoustic..I write a lot of this) , some classical, and a few others I can't think of now.

As a songwriter and a player I find there's so much that's beautiful and interesting in music (and all those different grooves) that I want to play as much as possible. It keeps me interested. Also I generally write what I want to hear. I don't think I could be happy playing one style or feel all evening.

Register Sign in to join the conversation