Miscellaneous Rumbles

Do You See the Sights of Your “Own” City?

The title says it all, "So, do you?"

I don't believe I've ever been to the Texas Theater in Dallas.

I've been on Jefferson Avenue several times to eat at cheap, but good, Tex Mex restaurants, and once long ago some buddies and I went music-gear scouting at all the pawn shops down there.

However, I don't believe I've ever been inside the Texas Theater. If I did, I don't remember. At best, I probably stuck my head in fast, looked at the chair, then left, but as stated, I don't remember it.

Kim and I went last night for my birthday, and we watched "Five Russians," a documentary about 5 Russian hockey players who defected back in the 80s to play for the Detroit Red Wings. Kim and I are massive hockey fans.

So, back to the topic, I finally watched a movie in the old theater. The chairs have all been replaced, but I don't believe anyone was allowed to sit in the "Oswald" seat for years and years.

How about your? What's your city's "sight," and have you seen it?

...------

The "Oswald" chair sounds kind of spooky, perhaps they could charge a premium to sit in it!

I DJ'd at Texas Theater (for our KNON Rockabilly Revue show with Wanda Jackson) and people kept asking me where the Oswald seat was - I was like, "I don't know." It's like center section last row 5 seats in or something. I was four feet from it and didn't know it!

Apparently at Top 10 records across the street there's the phone that Oswald used that is still there.

Texas Theater is cool, the owners are really cool, they do a lot of grindhouse and bring back a bunch of classic and independent movies. They do burlesque shows too, among other live music acts. It's a really cool place.

There's a ton of stuff in DFW that I haven't been to yet - I only saw Dealy Plaza ("X" marks the spot") five or six years ago and I've lived in DFW since 2000. So ultimately my answer is "no, I don't see the local sights".

My town's claim to fame is the Battle of Tippecanoe, 1811. Been to the Battleground plenty of times as I'm a history nut. It's across the road from a state park. The weird aspect is that there are headstones where soldiers fell. They all bear the date November 7th---which happens to be my birthday. Kind of unsettling.

Growing up around Philadelphia, you were pretty much taken to the obvious sites, Independence Hall, Elfeth's Alley, The Betsy Ross House, Edgar Allen Poe's home, touch the Liberty Bell, the Zoo, all the museums, etc..but afterward...adulthood?

My interests drifted a little towards the strange, so I found a bar called Name That Bar just off South Street on 2nd. It was a dive bar in the basement of a building. The cool thing about this place was the hole in the wall. Literally, the Hole in the wall had a hole in the wall...big enough that you could step through, and enter the unopened catacombs of Philadelphia! How's that grab you for a fun night?

That, and a family membership to the Mütter Museum. Awesome goth and wonderful spectacle.

Growing up around Philadelphia, you were pretty much taken to the obvious sites, Independence Hall, Elfeth's Alley, The Betsy Ross House, Edgar Allen Poe's home, touch the Liberty Bell, the Zoo, all the museums, etc..but afterward...adulthood?

My interests drifted a little towards the strange, so I found a bar called Name That Bar just off South Street on 2nd. It was a dive bar in the basement of a building. The cool thing about this place was the hole in the wall. Literally, the Hole in the wall had a hole in the wall...big enough that you could step through, and enter the unopened catacombs of Philadelphia! How's that grab you for a fun night?

That, and a family membership to the Mütter Museum. Awesome goth and wonderful spectacle.

– crowbone

You have a museum devoted specifically to German mothers?

That, and a family membership to the Mütter Museum.

I loved that museum; my partner lasted about 15 metres. We had a look during a six-hour stopover in Philly back in 2016 when visited for the Baltimore-DC Roundup. We also saw the Penn, the “Rocky” stairs and the train station.

—— I definitely need to see more of my home town.

You guys have much more interesting "Sights of the City" than I do! My city was only founded in 1829 so we don't really have "sights" other than crass monuments various politicians erected to try make themselves memorable.

I don't go into the city as much as I used to, even though I am literally about 5 minutes from the centre of the city by car. So every time I do venture in there are a whole bunch of new buildings I hadn't seen before. Now that I think about it I'm not sure we even have "sights" here. I don't know what I would suggest to a visitor here - unless they wanted to see kangaroos. We have a cemetery here with no standing headstones. They are all flat on the ground. So it's more like a park with lots of grass. For some reason the 'roos love it so there are always some there to see.

depends on which city you're talking about, and which sights. growing up in Chicago i saw just about everything, which you could do then because everything was free/cheap--as a kid all the museums were free!--and the public transit is so reliable. i never did go to the Biograph or Wrigley Field, though. when i lived in the Bay Area my site-visiting was more spotty/arbitrary based on my interests, e.g. i went to the Sonoma Mission but not the Jack London house, never visited the DeYoung in SF because pre-1900s American art does not interest me, and preferred Pigpen's grave to Alcatraz. i've now been in Charlottesville for over 5 years and still have no interest in Monticello, and the whole Civil War thing is only interesting as the basis for the cocked-up conditions of the state of Virginia. i'm basically burned out on the Meme of America, and things interest me most that stand outside or opposed to the norms; i would rather visit Stonewall in Manhattan than the Washington historic sites which do not appeal at all other than the Smithsonian museums. things i ALWAYS like: science museums, fine arts museums, non-classicist architecture.

You have a museum devoted specifically to German mothers?

– Tartan Phantom

Rob, if you ever dare come back East and let me show you around, we're going here.

Not for the squeamish, but a fascinating look at medical oddities, and the instruments of the trade from back in the day.

Rob, if you ever dare come back East and let me show you around, we're going here.

Not for the squeamish, but a fascinating look at medical oddities, and the instruments of the trade from back in the day.

– crowbone

I’m game... maybe while we’re there we can go for a round of ECT in a cast iron tub full of ice.

The title says it all, "So, do you?"

I don't believe I've ever been to the Texas Theater in Dallas.

I've been on Jefferson Avenue several times to eat at cheap, but good, Tex Mex restaurants, and once long ago some buddies and I went music-gear scouting at all the pawn shops down there.

However, I don't believe I've ever been inside the Texas Theater. If I did, I don't remember. At best, I probably stuck my head in fast, looked at the chair, then left, but as stated, I don't remember it.

Kim and I went last night for my birthday, and we watched "Five Russians," a documentary about 5 Russian hockey players who defected back in the 80s to play for the Detroit Red Wings. Kim and I are massive hockey fans.

So, back to the topic, I finally watched a movie in the old theater. The chairs have all been replaced, but I don't believe anyone was allowed to sit in the "Oswald" seat for years and years.

How about your? What's your city's "sight," and have you seen it?

...------

– indianation65

I lived about 5 blocks to the north of the Theater on Winston St. for about 20 yrs. In the 80's and early 90's the theater was shuttered. They opened it and showed movies for a while, I went to a few. I remember the "Oswald" seat with the little plaque on the back with the designation.

I loved Jefferson for more than the Theater. The Charco Broiler with the big cow on the roof, Welborne's appliances, where conjunto's would play on the sidewalk on Saturday mornings, The big Fiesta Store, where upon entering, you smelled Mexico and pretty much nothing else. Eugene's Guitars at the very west end of the street was a local guitar heaven. Lots of memories of Jefferson Blvd. Oak Cliff was my home.

I haven't taken in all of them but I do use a historical building for rental space for band practice.

While I no longer live in a city, (I spent a good part of my "growin up" in the DC suburbs, and enjoyed many days skipping school and checking out the museums), for the past 40 + years I have pursued the small town South for my physical and emotional health.

And

And

And, finally, the bait du jour.

Caught around 25 Speckled Trout this morning. Largest was 19 inches. Let them all go.

I mash the barb of my hook flat to ease the stress on the fish.

I’m game... maybe while we’re there we can go for a round of ECT in a cast iron tub full of ice.

– Tartan Phantom

I'll flick the switch and YouTube it!

heh heh!

Over the years in Dallas, I did see the John N. Bryan cabin (first house in Dallas), Texas Stadium, JR Ewing's building and Cliff Barnes' office as well, the Sixth Floor and Southfork.

It was time I went to the Texas Theater.

Addendum: I still realize I have not seen 508 Park Avenue! I need to remedy this, and I'm not much of a blues man either.

...------

Register Sign in to join the conversation