Miscellaneous Rumbles

Do You Customize Your String Sets?

I use string gauges that come in pacts of strings and don't customize them at all. On Strats I prefer .10s so I use usually Fender pure nickel Bullet end strings. On my 1965 Country Club I use .10s which are usually D'Addario pure nickel. If I change brands due to availability or not then I just use the same gauge even if the low string is different gauge since different brands may have a different low string.

I was at Guitar Center and I tried a used Dean Palomino. I recall when these came out I saw them in a guitar magazine, in fact a green kind of like surf green was the one in the magazine and when I was at GC I saw a used Palomino with 3 P90s in green just like I saw in the magazine yeas ago. I liked the guitar. I like the giant body but wish they had dog ears rather than soap bars. I know at the GDP this guitar got mixed reviews. One person said it was stiff and lifeless like many other low budget hollow bodies but to me I liked it. Didn't buy it as I have many a hollow body now. Well I asked the tech there if he'd be so kind to tell me what gauge the strings are. He took out the caliper and measured and figured out it was a .11 set but the 1st string was not an .11 but was a .14 and so was the second string. I forgot the low number.

I thought the .14 on the E along with the B was a pretty good set actually and never thought of doing that. I probably won't do that but thought it was good.

Do any of you make your own custom set of strings? I mean not from scratch obviously but I mean mix and match different string sets to make your own?

The high E’s in standard set tend to have higher tension than B strings. E is harder to bend. Therefore I do use 10.5 on 11 sets and 11.5 on 12 sets nowadays.

I have one acoustic guitar that is in open D tuning. It has a 12 set, but with thicker B string to compensate spongy feeling there.

The high E’s in standard set tend to have higher tension than B strings. E is harder to bend. Therefore I do use 10.5 on 11 sets and 11.5 on 12 sets nowadays.

I have one acoustic guitar that is in open D tuning. It has a 12 set, but with thicker B string to compensate spongy feeling there.

I have martin lights on my D-28 with a 17 and 13 B and E

So how do you guys get extra strings to customize your sets? Do you cannibalize other sets and end up with missing strings from other sets or can you buy them individually? I recall at the local music shop near my high school I would buy individual strings when I broke one, with no regard to weather or not it was the exact gauge or type of material (Pure Nickel, Nickel Plated Steal, so forth …) As long as I needed say an E string I would ask the guy for an E string and he'd pull one from the tube. Could have been .10 could have been .11, or even .09, what at 15 what did I know? Now I don't break strings at all. Well I do but it's rare and in that case I probably had it on forever so I change the set.

Can you still buy individual strings these days?

Buying individual strings should be no problem at all -- my local store has a draw full of them. However, building up a custom set of your own choosing will probably cost more than just buying a pack.

When I was on my cool Gibson CF-100E acoustic I was up to 13s but now on these Rick 650s I am down to 10s, and now use Ernie Ball skinny top heavy bottom but use a 15 G (quite light) in place of the stock 17 those sets have. I plan to move to 24" scale guitars full time pretty soon and that may mean I go up to 11s.

It has crossed my mind, I've read Jimi Hendrix did and I've been thinking about trying it out on one of my Strats. As far as my Gretsch guitars, I've been stuck on 10-46 and once in a while when I feel I have good hand strength I have 11's on with a wound G string, I can bend it a bit but it sure sounds great when I'm playing rhythm

Many of the Online Retailers offer Single Strings. I use juststrings.com.

I tend to like heavier plains, lighter wounds on my standard set ups.

On my old L1 and StratPlus I do custom sets.

I play 10's on my Gretsch 5422TG, and most of my other guitars. However, on my Stratocaster, I replace the high E with a 9.5, and drop the low E and A string down by 2/1000's. I buy all my single replacement strings at Stringjoy.com. Plain strings are a buck and a half, wound strings are two and a half. I've built quite a few custom sets using their singles, often building a lighter bottom set of 10's.

I play my acoustic guitars rather aggressively, and I end up getting dents in the wound G strings, from heavy bending. So I keep a supply 024 wound G strings on hand.

I change out the 18 G in a set of 11's for a 17 a lot, for more volume balance.

I use to get a custom set made up then D'Addario light top/heavy bottom's came out,they where very nearly the same as i was having made up,and they were cheaper!

I still get a custom set made up for my Rick 12. Costly though,i think i'll try a set as close to what i use next time.

I change out the 18 G in a set of 11's for a 17 a lot, for more volume balance.

– WB

Never thought of that WB.

I'll try that soon.

Register Sign in to join the conversation