Miscellaneous Rumbles

Do you clean you guitar?

I'm not the most diligent person in the world when it comes to cleaning things. My car is pretty grubby most of the time, my shed and garage ditto, and don't even ask about the John Deere, but when I do clean stuff I go about it with an almost OCD-ish enthusiasm and can take hours making something shine like the day it was made.

I know I've not cleaned my main ride ('03 SSLVO) since at least 2006, almost certainly a fair bit longer - maybe not ever. It's not so much that I like it dirty, just that I don't much care for it too shiny, and I know what will happen if I get a can of Pledge anywhere near it. I can't imagine how I could possibly only clean it a bit, so rather than going Full Monty on it it just gets grubbier.

So how's things in your world, clean or dirty?

shiny - two reasons :1) I sweat like a pig when I sing, and I usually sing onstage 2)my main rides are vintage guitars, and once you let the ...erm...."grime" build up on an old nitro finish, it gets hard to clean it thoroughly without taking part of the finish with it.

And I like my guitars clean I guess. I'm not the tidiest or neatest person at all (as you very well might remember Deke, LOL!) but I do like a shower everyday, and my guitars clean and odorless.

Rarely ,they get a dusting once a week, but that's it. It's been a few years since i got the polish out for any of them.

I wash my car about 3 or 4 times a year ,once just before the MOT then at random throughout the year.

They get the occasional polish but strings are regularly cleaned off. You would not believe how much crud can accumulate even on the unwound strings.

Generally clean with wipedowns after playing. More attention to inaccessible string-course parts when changing strings. Obsessive take-apart clean with Q-tips and multiple chemicals and compounds every few years.

I never use Pledge or other cleaning agents on my guitars. I just wipe them down with a damp cloth and dry them with a dry cloth. Water works great.

Neck and strings after each gig or day of practice. During string changes the whole guitar gets a wipe. A soft cloth does the trick. Still have a few shoe shining cloths from hotels left over from touring days; they work great.

I keep them minty fresh. A clean guitar plays faster.

Neck and strings after each gig or day of practice. During string changes the whole guitar gets a wipe. A soft cloth does the trick. Still have a few shoe shining cloths from hotels left over from touring days; they work great.

– Journeyman

I do the same, except add a body cleaning after playing a hot gig or outdoors gig to get the body grime off. I ruined the finish off my '74 Martin before I figured it out.

I do like a clean guitar. Mine seem to play better that way!

Hard to find shoe shining cloths these days!

I don't feel like wiping down my gear at 2 am with a bartender breathing down my neck to leave. Normally, when I notice that they are getting grungy, I'll take them home and go over them while I accompany Miss Karolyn at the Television.

I am the definition of OCD. Diaper rags are great. If they are soft enough to use on a newborn baby they are soft enough for my guitar. I use Qtips for bridge parts and such. Remove the pickguard to clean underneath. Sometimes a soft toothbrush is needed for the hard to reach places.

I am the definition of OCD. Diaper rags are great. If they are soft enough to use on a newborn baby they are soft enough for my guitar. I use Qtips for bridge parts and such. Remove the pickguard to clean underneath. Sometimes a soft toothbrush is needed for the hard to reach places.

– UncleGrumpy

You really are a Marine!

i clean a guitar when it's noticeably dirty, or if i've been playing it in a hot environment where i sweat all over it. since i have a number of guitars, some of them sit in their cases for years at a time and thus don't really need cleaning.

I give it a quick wipe with a soft cloth when done and occasionally polish them on no set schedule.

3 of 4 time each year. When i put my car at the car wash.

A wipe with a micro-fibre cloth after use, clean the fretboard and bridge area every string change. Once a year, pretty much disassemble it during string change and clean as much as I can reach with cloth, Q-tip and whatever.

I do use Endust on the satin finish acoustics, and seems to help, but the rest (except the Ric) get nothing. The Ric gets a little Zymol every year.

And although that's my desired schedule, the reality is about half that.

I gently wash my guitars with the tears of the fans who are crying because the show is over.

I literally have skin on my guitars because I tend to play and record (at home) without a shirt so it ends up on there and really tough to get rid of so skin in the game takes on a new meaning for me.

When I get home from a gig or band rehearsal the guitar gets a wipe down, particularly the strings and the back of the neck -- anywhere else if I think it needs it.

Lemon Pledge... and new gold piping on the case every year!

I'll clean a guitar just before I sell it.

Register Sign in to join the conversation