Miscellaneous Rumbles

Did I mention Hockey Season is here!

The Stars have been winning a lot since December, but are on a losing streak now.

They beat a lot of teams. Unfortunately, they were schooled over the weekend.

It didn't appear to just be a bad game for Dallas.

I hate to admit that Winnipeg and Nashville simply might be the best in the west, and everyone else that is good, is still "2nd" place.

Go Dallas!

Addendum: I forgot about the Vegas Knights. They are really good. I guess the GMs of the league gave away too many players. It will be a sight to see if "Vegas" goes to the Cup in its first year.

...------

The Knights are for real and I don't see them slowing down. Getting Reaves from Pittsburgh is huge for them as they won't be getting picked on as has been the case now and then.

They're still playing hard under the umbrella of "your team didn't want you" reasoning. I don't it was a case of the entire league taking stupid pills in deciding who they wouldn't protect as much as the terrific deals Vegas' GM orchestrated prior to the expansion draft. They decided to build their team for speed and depth and the formula works. I credit the play of their 3rd & 4th lines for their success as most other teams outside the top 10 or so can't play with them against these 2 lines. They went through a series of goalies and now Fleury has settled in. They're being thought of now as the team you don't want to face in the playoffs. IMO, if they continue their current play and success, they'll make it to the finals.

Speaking as a Predators fan, I'm not really concerned about Winnipeg... I'm not even concerned about Tampa Bay.

But I'm very, very concerned about facing Vegas in the playoffs.

This year's Trade Deadline results are one for the ages...Wowser!

Hey, for a rebuilding year and only the next season after being the worst, I like where the Devils are at right now. The D is weak and they have stay out of the penalty box but it is a fun team to watch. Maybe get to round 2 in the playofffs? Hey, ya never know.

Kudos to retiring Elias' #26 a capping it off with a win over the Islanders the other night. I'm pretty stoked we got Grabner, but......We need Schneider to healthy and fast!!!

GM Nill did not even "sniff" the trade deadline.

Most Stars fans are not happy. I'm inclined to agree.

This last whipping by the Jets should let those in charge know that Dallas is playing for a 1st round exit, if even that.

As a season ticket holder, I'm not happy with the leadership decisions, the biggest was bringing Hitchcock back.

We'll see if Nill truly believes the "coaches" will get this current team moving towards a deep playoff run. I can't imagine he really believes that. The Stars are hit and miss on win streaks, but they are consistent with losing to the top 3 or so teams in the west. That should be enough of an eye-opener for Nill, but yet, no talk of trades at all. Good grief...

...------

As usual, the Canuck's management shit the bed by the end of the trade deadline. This year they took a salary dump for Vanic and couldn't get even a low end draft pick in the bargain?? Please........your reasoning is making the fans around here puke. The Rangers announced a rebuild and in a matter of weeks have set themselves up to fast track things through the draft, which is where you begin the process of improvement. Detroit is doing the same thing so keep an eye on those two. Toronto has gone the same route, along with getting the best coach in the league, and they're at least a year ahead of their schedule.

The Canucks are the hockey equivalent of business bankruptcy. No hope for this team with this president and GM and especially the owners who insist on rebuilding on the fly. They don't believe in blowing it up starting from scratch so we're screwed. This team won't be competitive till it's sold to a sensible owner.

As usual, the Canuck's management shit the bed by the end of the trade deadline. This year they took a salary dump for Vanic and couldn't get even a low end draft pick in the bargain?? Please........your reasoning is making the fans around here puke. The Rangers announced a rebuild and in a matter of weeks have set themselves up to fast track things through the draft, which is where you begin the process of improvement. Detroit is doing the same thing so keep an eye on those two. Toronto has gone the same route, along with getting the best coach in the league, and they're at least a year ahead of their schedule.

The Canucks are the hockey equivalent of business bankruptcy. No hope for this team with this president and GM and especially the owners who insist on rebuilding on the fly. They don't believe in blowing it up starting from scratch so we're screwed. This team won't be competitive till it's sold to a sensible owner.

– Windsordave

Look at it this way... it could be worse.. you could be a Sabres fan.

Enjoy Ryan McDonagh!

Tampa Bay is in Dallas Thursday. It will be a good test for Dallas...

For Tampa, I'm not sure...

Dallas just had a grind it out game with Calgary and won 2-0, Hitchcock style, no flash, just defense and good goal-tending.

...------

I hope all you Hockey Fans are tuned into the game tonight @ The Naval Academy.

Maybe the nicest set-up ever for a nighttime, outdoor NHL event!

Caps up 2-1 over the Leafs early, goalies having a bit of trouble finding the puck...no prior practice due to weather yesterday.

Great start to the festivities. Love the carrier motif around the rink. Then the bit with the midshipmen lining the railings, the full re-heat flyby... all very cool.

2nd just started. Now 3-1 Caps.

The outdoor game last year from Toronto Exposition Place was intimate as well, just started in the afternoon. That was a good one, too.

The gigantic Venue games are an extravaganza, not so much Hockey.

Re-Heat = Afterburner?

Yup. Sorry. I'm a bit of a plane nut from years back. The afterburners were most likely the reason the plume of flame was longer than the aircraft when they showed it on the broadcast. Very spectacular, but also very LOUD (and expensive, from a practical pov).

You Canadians only have a different word for a few things, I spent decades trying to figure British speak...

Victoria is a favorite place of mine, I would learn to speak whatever.

The Dallas Stars have officially kicked into "Pathetic Overdrive" mode.

They blow...

Playoffs! Playoffs? Puleezeeeeeeeeeeeee

Puleeze fire coach Hitchcock, Wilson and Barnes, Pleeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeze!

...------

The last "Hockey Talk" blabbering I listened to at an Intermission laid into Dallas for underperforming, and they have a hard remaining schedule ending on the Road against SJ, LA, and ANA, all ahead of them right now for Playoff spots.

Vegas in the West, Flyers in the East our my hopefuls for long Playoff runs.

Nashville should go far, too.

The Stars have good players, and a coaching staff that is dated and cannot produce results from its roster.

For a while they were climbing in the standings by beating the bad to mediocre teams, but they still kept losing to the top teams East and West.

Now, they lose to just about everyone.

Hitchcock retired last year, then Gilardi fired Ruff, leaving a coaching spot open. Hitch just haaaaaad to come back didn't he. I would have preferred anyone, even a college coach if need be.

Regardless, I love hockey, and it will be a blast to see the incredible playoffs once they start.

I just hope to see a team win the Cup who has never won before!

...------

Look at it this way... it could be worse.. you could be a Sabres fan.

– Tartan Phantom

That's akin to asking if for punishment, choose between being shot or hung.

I hope you folks will get used to seeing this on a frequent basis during the playoffs this year....

Seriously, the President's Trophy is the Predators' to lose at this point. And although that in no way guarantees success in the playoffs, the home ice advantage that goes along with it certainly helps. However, the Preds have some very tough road games left on the schedule, so they can't let their foot off the gas yet. After supporting this team for 20 years, it having taken them the first 10 years before they even won a conference quarterfinal, I'm happy to see them finally having some long awaited success.

There are quite a few bubble teams that seem to be heating up at the right time, which is going to make this playoff season another exciting one. I've never seen league parity like we've had this year. Of course, we all remember what happened to the Blackhawks last year, which shows that even the best teams can implode during the Stanley Cup run... nothing is a "sure thing" during May or June.

Went to my first Flyers game in almost a decade this past Sunday with a Bruins fan!

Bruins tied in the last 3 seconds, but we won in overtime on a Claude Giroux goal.

Playoffs? One can hope.

Something about live hockey that gets lost on TV.

I have very little good to say about the Dallas Stars, except they will always be my team.

For now, Go Vegas!

That would be something!

...------

Register Sign in to join the conversation