Miscellaneous Rumbles

Did I mention Hockey Season is here!

My Vegas Nights aren't getting any local TV coverage up here in Reno, yet. All games right now on NHL.tv.

I am sure a few games will make the NBCSN.

I may have to splurge and upgrade my Cable Service.

But, tonight, 2 games on NBCSN...the first starts at 4pm!

West Coast time is great for Live TV...

Dallas has won 5 straight, and with luck and good play, Tuesday will make 6.

Go Stars!

...------

Apparently, all the TV rights for the Knights went to ATT Cable out of Las Vegas. I'm sure that type of deal was put in place to launch the franchise.

Not a single game so far up here in Reno on TV. We don't seem be even be linked to the SJ Sharks.

I watch NBCSN every Tuesday and Wednesday...

The 'Nucks are doing better than anticipated - too bad Dorset was forced into retirement - and a generally being given a C+/B- grade. Winnipeg has really stepped up and are now #2 to only the Lightning, league wide. Edmonton's a bust as they just don't have the goaltending.

With Seattle's city council decision today, and Houston's interest in a franchise, Quebec just became the red-headed step-child once again, as far as getting an expansion franchise goes. They're the NHL's reserve bail-out city. When the Canes are no longer viable in Raleigh or Phoenix doesn't move downtown or Ottawa either for that matter, they toss one of these failing franchises to Quebec City as a place to relocate. Seattle would be a geographic balance if they get a team and you'll note that the reason today's refurbishment announcement is going over well with the league office is because it isn't to have in any way, design parameters to suit basketball....yeah! Those guys will have to play elsewhere if there's an interest in getting a team back in the city.

I'm on the fence about the Devils trading Adam Henrique. He is not "the great player" that many Devils fans think he is but he is a fan favorite. I know a good deal of this nice start to the season was because of the close-knit group they have and Adam Henrique seemed to be a real leader in that category.

However, The Devils defense is below average and are getting outshot recently in every game. I'm just a little wary on getting a D-man who is only 5'10" and coming off of shoulder surgery. Then again, no one has called me to be their GM either so I'll just have to watch and hope!

Last I checked, Tampa Bay is leading the league. Go Bolts!

– Charlie Vegas

Four weeks later and the Lighting are still leading the league! I picked the wrong year to stop working for them. Go Bolts!

My Pro Hockey puppy just heard the spiel on Seattle being the 32nd franchise...

She has slept through countless games, an expert on the NHL.

She concurs!

Consensus is that if Seattle gets an NBA team first, you can kiss any hope of an NHL team being viable. It just isn't that big a market for a fourth pro team. The Seahawks rule now and folks would go nuts if the NBA returned. The Mariners aren't doing well with attendance now and will suffer further with an NBA team in town. People only have just so much disposable income and you need a larger population base to support 3, let alone 4 pro teams and Seattle just doesn't have it.

If they do get a hockey team and then an NBA team follows a year or two later, watch hockey attendance go for a dump!

Now Houston could support 4 pro teams. 5.6 vs 3.6 million. I'm afraid that difference makes the difference.

The Stars and Hitch head back to St. Louis tonight.

Too bad Hitchcock won't stay there.

...Go Starzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz!

Kind of off topic.....but may be interesting. Not much of an Ice Hockey Fan but have seen tons of Field Hockey because my daughter played through college. Interestingly my daughter having had the opportunity to play overseas in both Amsterdam and Buenos Aires Argentina, the game outside of the USA is a big men's sport and is very popular while in the USA it's very much a women's sport. In fact, if you mention "Hockey" in the Netherlands they assume you are referring to "Field Hockey" while we would assume "Ice Hockey". Well enough of my blathering on about this minutia.....

The Stars and Hitch head back to St. Louis tonight.

Too bad Hitchcock won't stay there.

...Go Starzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz!

– indianation65

It still kills me that Brodeur is in the Blues organization.

Kind of off topic.....but may be interesting. Not much of an Ice Hockey Fan but have seen tons of Field Hockey because my daughter played through college. Interestingly my daughter having had the opportunity to play overseas in both Amsterdam and Buenos Aires Argentina, the game outside of the USA is a big men's sport and is very popular while in the USA it's very much a women's sport. In fact, if you mention "Hockey" in the Netherlands they assume you are referring to "Field Hockey" while we would assume "Ice Hockey". Well enough of my blathering on about this minutia.....

– Gretschadelphia

As a Canuck, I smile and shake my head every time I here the word ice put in front of the word hockey. Here, the word field is put in front of hockey when appropriate, but adding ice is a totally unnecessary adjective.

If hockey is being discussed with respect to Canada, only someone unfamiliar with the game and particularly its origins would use ice, as if it's needed to differentiate it from field hockey. I only know of field hockey played by girls and women in Canada, never men but perhaps it happens.

After listening today to that little obnoxious, egotistical, condescending twerp Bettman [and Seattle sports folk in the know] it looks a go for Seattle to get an expansion team. I feel it may very well be successful initially but will get kicked to the curb once the NBA returns.

I wonder how long Las Vegas is going to have to explain the game via video screen in the arena till a knowledgeable audience is established? I remember the original expansion of 6 more teams had to do this. They'll need to do it as well in Seattle.

With Football winding down, a little more Hockey making it on TV...

My Vegas Knights will be on NBCSN tomorrow night, then again Feb 2 and March 22nd.

Tonight it is Caps @ Rangers, always a good match up whether in DC or at the Garden.

Not sure how many Americans are paying attention to the 2018 IIHF Tournament just underway in Buffalo [this year], but folks in Canada are always big watchers of this tournament for two reasons. First is hopefully see Canada win again but also gives us a chance to see some of our draft prospects playing. Canadian teams often have some of these players playing overseas and we never get to see them play, except for this prestigious tournament. Go Canada!

Those games today were on the NHL Channel...no got...

Those games today were on the NHL Channel...no got...

– Twangmeisternyc

Too bad. When it isn't a blow out, like the Americans winning big in their opening game, it's excellent hockey, watching a lot of the future stars.

Kudos to the American Women...

After Sochi, then this extended OT/Shootout challenge...Good for Them!

Congrats to the US gals as well! The game was fairly even till the US had an edge in play that got stronger till the end of the period. The overtime showed them to have the jump on our gals throughout. They were full measure for the win.

Regardless of the outcome, I absolutely despise a shootout to decide a winner...in any sport!! It's a despicable concept. I want to see hockey teams play under the same manpower - 5 on 5 - till they score or drop dead from exhaustion!!

Importing the shootout from soccer - a sport with multiple issues already - is a piss-poor idea. Networks have dictated to the league to restrict the length of games and so the shoot-out has become their answer. Pitiful. Is the NFL going to go towards ending ties with a field goal kicking contest? Wouldn't be surprised.

I just finished watching the Men's Germany/Canada game.

Kudos to Germany, ... they had a rough start in the early rounds, regained composure, and now playing the OAR for Gold.

You have to Show Up every game!

I can't believe we've made it to the final. Amazing team spirit throughout the whole tournament so far. I'm quite sure almost anybody outside Russia keeps the fingers crossed for them to make that sensation the biggest since decades. I mean, have you seen the 3-0 goal shot through his own legs? Fantastic. See the replay at around 2:34.

I just finished watching the Men's Germany/Canada game.

Kudos to Germany, ... they had a rough start in the early rounds, regained composure, and now playing the OAR for Gold.

You have to Show Up every game!

– Twangmeisternyc

The Canadian team not showing up isn't the root cause of their not advancing as the team having to put up with the in-over-his-head coach/idiot, Wellie Desjardin. The moment he was announced as the coach of our men's team I pronounced Team Canada's chances of winning gold or even getting to the gold medal game as less than zero!!! He is a completely useless excuse for a hockey coach.....AT ANY LEVEL!!! He's is painfully stubborn to try something different when his game plan isn't working....which is essentially all the time!! His theories on how to use his players has been proven to not be worth a pinch of coon's shit! He proved his utter incompetence here in Vancouver as coach of the Canucks. None of the sport's writers and sports radio talk show hosts dubbed him as competent as they constantly couldn't understand with his definition-of-insanity style of coaching. As a prime example of this is his refusal to change personnel on a continuously non-functioning power play! On a team steam rolling it's way to last place in the standings, he continued to say he liked his team and their play!! What a putz!! So, give his track record, it's not surprising this mentality was imposed on The Canadian Olympic Team and produced the expected results. I hope he never gets a job coaching anywhere in Canada again!!

The highest point for last season's Canucks - both the team and the fans - was when they shit-canned his ass at the end of the season.

BTW, he seems to have left behind his inability to use his players effectively 'talent' as Travis Green shows this tendency as well. He's only a slight upgrade over Willie-the-moron.

I would have gone Willie-of-vegetable.

Not sure how many stayed up to watch the Gold Medal game, it was queued up for those of us on the West Coast.

The Russians were stymied most of the time, their Goalie not setting any records or making any notable achievements to the Sport, the Germans playing their game.

But, never stop playing, it's not over until it's over, etc.

Second guessing hopefully won't over take the Tourney the Germans had...you go with what you got, and what got you there.

I'm both happy and sad...Hockey doesn't hand out 2 sets of Gold Medals.

The Germans played a great game. They gave up a possession unnecessarily in the waning minutes, but they played great nevertheless.

Register Sign in to join the conversation