Miscellaneous Rumbles

Did I mention Hockey Season is here!

Caps and Pens Tonight...and Yankees and Indians...hmmm...clicker will get a workout!

I sat next to a guy from Pittsburgh wearing Gold on my flight back from Reno...had season tickets...Arrggh!

My new Team... the Golden Knights.

Lets go Pens! Threepeat!

A rough start for the Jets, but expecting a good show this year.

I hope old man Buff is still in form. All the young dudes.

I'm sick of Toronto already, and you can't nudge an Edmonton player without a penalty, just like the old days.

Hurricanes all the way!

– 6stringcowboy

With an optimistic attendance figure for their previous game and a harbinger for future games, me thinks the Canes aren't long for their current digs. Quebec City smells blood in the water.

The late-to-the-[re-build]-party Canucks are today, where they should've been 2 years ago. I'm not expecting them to finish with too many more points than they ended up with last year but there are three reasons for their fans to watch this season. First is they have a new coach and a former long time player, Travis Green. Willie Desjardin was a bust before he coached his first game. He was royally criticized, and with dam good reason for his player utilization and was a stubborn SOB with poor hockey knowledge and a firm supporter of insanity: doing the same thing over & over expecting a different result. To wit, the 'nucks abysmal power play and penalty kill, which they had a lot of practice at!

The second reason to watch is that Travis being a hard taskmaster and making these guys work their asses off means the entire team will be working hard every shift, or find themselves a healthy scratch.

The last reason is the youngsters that have made the team through fierce competition for a spot on the roster are eager to stay in the lineup with competition continuing to start games.

I'm less interested in where the team will finish than I am with them continuing to work hard every shift. They'll make mistakes sure, but that won't get them benched like that clown Willie did. He had the young players shit-scared to make a mistake and this resulted in them never taking a chance and occasionally just go for it.

I expect their penalties to be down this year as their hustle so far has them being first to the puck far more often than in the past 3 years under Silly-Willie. That guy is just pathetic!! Hope he never coaches in the NHL again. We have to put up with him as our Olympic coach. I cringe at the thought!!

With an optimistic attendance figure for their previous game and a harbinger for future games, me thinks the Canes aren't long for their current digs. Quebec City smells blood in the water.

– Windsordave

Bring back the Nordiques!

I have trepidations about the Wild this year. While they played excellent hockey until the AllStar Break (Best in the West IIRC), afterwards they were pretty dreadful and squeaked into the playoffs before losing badly.

No major changes, just a year older, which can be good for Coyle, Neiderreiter, Granlund - but bad for Parise, Koivu, Suter. Dubnyk looked bad at times, not the monster he was in the first half or in the past. The backup goalie was lost to Las Vegas.

Bruce Boudreau showed in the playoffs why he wasn't won a game seven; he was so tight I doubt he moved his bowels the entire series.

Unless the young guys accelerate their development from last year, the team will be stuck in mediocrity - only good enough to lose in the first round of the Cup chase.

Caps and Pens Tonight...and Yankees and Indians...hmmm...clicker will get a workout!

I sat next to a guy from Pittsburgh wearing Gold on my flight back from Reno...had season tickets...Arrggh!

My new Team... the Golden Knights.

– Twangmeisternyc

The Golden Knights... best team that other people's money can buy...

Never in my life have I seen an expansion team so top-heavy with "stolen" talent... I hate expansion drafts. Not trying to be contrary, I know it's your new "hometown team" and all, but geeeez they made some good draft selections.

But hey, that's life in the hockey universe! I suppose that whenever the NHL decides to expand again and put a team in some place like Laramie, Wichita or Missoula, the Knights will be on the receiving end of expansion draft bleeding. That's tongue-in-cheek sarcasm, by the way.

It's really hard to love your team, but truly dislike (a step from "hate") your new head coach.

I'm a Stars fan, but I'm no fan of Ken Hitchcock. I could go into detail, but I'm tired right now, therefore, I'll just leave it as "Go Stars."

...------

The Golden Knights... best team that other people's money can buy...

Never in my life have I seen an expansion team so top-heavy with "stolen" talent... I hate expansion drafts. Not trying to be contrary, I know it's your new "hometown team" and all, but geeeez they made some good draft selections.

But hey, that's life in the hockey universe! I suppose that whenever the NHL decides to expand again and put a team in some place like Laramie, Wichita or Missoula, the Knights will be on the receiving end of expansion draft bleeding. That's tongue-in-cheek sarcasm, by the way.

– Tartan Phantom

We hope for Seattle! Close to home, great Vancouver-Seattle rivalry possible.

We hope for Seattle! Close to home, great Vancouver-Seattle rivalry possible.

– Kevin Frye

Not going to happen I'm afraid. Seattle plans on building an arena for basketball first and hockey as the secondary user and Gary Bettman has already rejected the idea of an arena that isn't designed for hockey only or at the very least, as the no. 1 tenant with no concessions for basketball seating......which is one of the very few things I've agreed with with that little weasel. Let basketball build it's own barn.

By the time the NHL decides on one more expansion franchise or Carolina sells and hits the road, Quebec City will have a state-of-the-art arena ready to go and all the suites signed up for and a waiting list for season tickets with the normal allotment sold out in a heartbeat.

Yeah, you're probably right.

Still we can hope...

Bring back the Nordiques!

– drmilktruck

Ha!! Love it! While they are at it bring back the Hartford Whalers!

Ha!! Love it! While they are at it bring back the Hartford Whalers!

– Gretsch6123

And the Kansas City.... Scouts?? But please, leave the California Golden Seals/Cleveland Barons peacefully buried.

GO, Hamilton Tigers!

Im enjoying the 3 - 0 start to the season that my Devils have begun. They are now one of the fastest teams and are nailing it with passing and smart position playing and we are doing it with some top guys already on the injured reserve.

But the defense needs work....I think they gave up over 50 shots of goal yesterday against the Maple Leafs but Cory Schneider looks amazing. I am happy though that they've scored 16 goals in the 1st 3 games.

They are fun too watch though so I'm just going to enjoy the ride and hope for the playoffs as they continue to rebuild.

Tonight 10/14: New Jersey Devils vs. NY Rangers!!!! I love these games!!!

**Hockey Night in Canada!!**

Today's games available on regular cable are: Leafs @ Montreal (early) followed by Ottawa @ Edmonton and also for the later slot is Calgary @ Vancouver. I PVR everything so I can fast forward through the commercials and between periods, except for Don Cherry's slot on the first intermission of the first game on the CBC. Wouldn't miss my old friend for anything. 83 and still going strong and sharp as a tack. Best analyst in hockey. He can see and breakdown things happening other analysts don't even catch.

Markstrom better improve soon or lose the net. He's let in a soft goal on two occasions so far that cost the Nucks a win in one case and snuck away with one point losing in a shootout in another. If he'd been on his game they'd be 3-0.

Carolina @ Winnipeg is on CITY here, try channel 13.

And the Kansas City.... Scouts?? But please, leave the California Golden Seals/Cleveland Barons peacefully buried.

GO, Hamilton Tigers!

– Tartan Phantom

Carolina @ Winnipeg is on CITY here, try channel 13.

– hammerhands

Here, too.

Here, too.

– Kevin Frye

No disrespect intended, but who cares, given the talent on the other teams playing, Patrik Laine being the exception.

I priced out my preferred seat at the T-Mobile Arena for the Nov 19th VGN game against the LAKings. It is a Sunday Late afternoon game.

Las Vegas is hoping for some big Revenue this first season!

I think it was $295 + Fees. Same seat in Nashville 3 years ago against the Blackhawks was $120 or so. That was a Thursday night game.

At least 2x.

Register Sign in to join the conversation