Other Guitars

NGD: FR Cow-Boy Jumbo.. Help wanted

Hi, Bought this today from a local craigslist offer. Its in near mint condition, setup perfectly. Plays great. Looks great. For a jumbo it is a very bright, loud, full and clear sounding guitar. I paid 50 Euros with a gigbag. Fantastic deal...

Just 2 questions... I love bright guitars. But are there any type of strings which could ship the guitar a little bit into mellow sounding waters? A little more bass in the sound would be great... Right now it has brand new standard phospor bronze D'addarios strings.

And second question: I know NOTHING about the brand. The seller mentioned that he bought it in Italy in the 90ies. A friend of the seller said that its a canadian brand... Thats all I know. I didn't find anything on the web...

nice tobacco burst top and "quilted wood"... don't know materials used building this guitar

last pic. close up of the back... Hope somebody can help. THANKS! Sorry for the crappy phone pics.

Nice looking guitar. Congrats.

I know nothing but it looks cool and what a deal.

Looks like a sweet deal. I assume it's one of those MIC copies that they tried to distribute. Ever been to Musikmesse Frankfurt? Ridiculous how many makers are doing the knock-off thing. Some better, some worse. Often they sell the whole booth for cheap to save return costs. If it's nice enjoy it. I have such a one-only spruce top archtop which is great.

Re: sound. I never played an original Gibson J-200 but none of all the Jumbos I tried did it for me. I just didn't like the character. They lacked the kind of midrange I prefer. Just hifi highs plus boomy and loose lows. I think that's just the way those guitars sound. A good (and smaller) solid wood Dreadnought always sounds bigger to me.

What about flat wounds? Excuse my ignorance but is there such a thing for acoustics (without searching, of course).

Looks like a sweet deal. I assume it's one of those MIC copies that they tried to distribute. Ever been to Musikmesse Frankfurt? Ridiculous how many makers are doing the knock-off thing. Some better, some worse. Often they sell the whole booth for cheap to save return costs. If it's nice enjoy it. I have such a one-only spruce top archtop which is great.

Re: sound. I never played an original Gibson J-200 but none of all the Jumbos I tried did it for me. I just didn't like the character. They lacked the kind of midrange I prefer. Just hifi highs plus boomy and loose lows. I think that's just the way those guitars sound. A good (and smaller) solid wood Dreadnought always sounds bigger to me.

– sascha

Yeah, could be a well manufactured knock off... It sounds really nice and is well made...

Re:Sound - I'm really picky about acoustic guitars but this one fits my taste. I love the look of jumbos but, as you mentioned, they never sounded quite right... I tried the new, non bigsby, rancher... Honestly I thought it sounded awful. Like someone stuck his pillow into the guitar...

But the "CowBoy" is quite the opposite. Very clear and bright... Not damped/mushy etc.

Maybe there are some "magic strings" someone has in mind to give the guitar a little more bass/mellow sounds...

I had a Gretsch Historic series Sierra (G3700 IIRC) Jumbo that sounded exactly like you describe your new guitar. Bright and not very loud. Apart from its physical appearance it wasn't "Jumbo" at all. :)

I sold it and my next acoustic was a Martin 000-15. The total opposite. Couldn't be much happier.

P.S. Good luck on your tone hunt!

You could try a new bone nut, bridge & bridge pins.

I find that going up a gauge often gives tighter bass in an acoustic guitar.

So, if it came strung with lights, try mediums.

I think you're in the right area with phosphor bronze . . . 80/20 usually sounds brighter to my ears. Maybe a silk & steel set would sound more mellow?

The good news is that trying a few different sets of strings won't cost much.

actually phosphor bronze are considered to be the least bright of the typical "bronze" acoustic string…a coated string with either gold or some synthetic material might be less so

or you could move away from the typical acoustic string altogether and try a john pearse pure nickel acoustic string or a set of martin monel acoustic strings…not your typical acoustic type string but mellower and more familiar for an electric guitar player

cheers

Thanks for your input so far... I'm really happy with the guitar and as soon its time to change strings, I'll try out some different sets...

@Sascha: My jumbo IS bright and loud... Maybe because the body is not toooo much jumbo. I mean, it is a fat guitar but definetly smaller than a Gibson SJ200 or a Rancher...

Martin Silk and Steel Strings are definitely mellower, more of a folkie sound. Bronze strings are brighter, and, you could always go to an electric string as they'd be less bright. Bone nut and bridge would maki it brighter. Standard plastic pins are softer than brass pins.

Yeah, could be a well manufactured knock off... It sounds really nice and is well made...

Re:Sound - I'm really picky about acoustic guitars but this one fits my taste. I love the look of jumbos but, as you mentioned, they never sounded quite right... I tried the new, non bigsby, rancher... Honestly I thought it sounded awful. Like someone stuck his pillow into the guitar...

But the "CowBoy" is quite the opposite. Very clear and bright... Not damped/mushy etc.

Maybe there are some "magic strings" someone has in mind to give the guitar a little more bass/mellow sounds...

– ChimingBell

John Pearse 600L's. I use them on my acoustics. Best acoustic strings I've ever used.

When I worked in the guitar store we sold loads of Martin guitars. We always found that phosphor bronze were BRIGHTER sounding than regular bronze. Too bright for most Martins. But phosphor bronze really woke up some of the Gibsons.

My first call would be to try some regular bronze on there. If they're still too bright try some round core bronze. You really have to try a bunch and see what works for that particular guitar. When I heard phosphor bronze on a D28 I would think that those strings sucked. But to hear them on a J45... Whole different story.

The hippies used to love Thomastic Plectrum strings. To me they just sounded dead. And they wouldn't play in tune - the tension was all wrong.

I think you'll like regular bronze. Which isn't actually bronze at all, it's brass!

Does it simply need to be played in?

What about flat wounds? Excuse my ignorance but is there such a thing for acoustics (without searching, of course).

– razzer10_4

A good question and the answer is, "sort of". I use D'Addario Flat Tops. These are phosphor bronze but they're halfway between a regular round wound acoustic string and a flatwound. They sound the same - to me - as regular phosphor bronze but they cut down on the buzz when you slide your fingers on the strings....and they last as long as other strings.

Thanks Jimmy for your comment. I'll play the phospor bronze strings until they need to be changed. Then I'll try the BRONZE (brass) ones you mentioned. Hence the current strings are brand new I think it needs to be played in and newer strings sound brighter than used ones and then I'll see if there's a difference in sound I like or swap to regular bronze strings...

But nevertheless... I'm happy as a child... I really like this guitar and it was the best 50 euro investment for a long time. And I'm also thinking that's a kind of "prototype" guitar... I spotted a Serial No. inside which reads 00065. So probably it was a test run to see who wants to produce them for a resale...

GHS has several different types of bronze strings. I like the Vintage Bronze for my Guild jumbos

Our warmest sounding strings are created with the combination of core-to cover ratio and copper/zinc wire, resulting in a warm and rich tone, perfect for those overly bright guitars that need to be reined in tonally.<

Register Sign in to join the conversation