Miscellaneous Rumbles

Dhani Harrison & Jeff Lynne Perform Handle With Care

We saw ELO last night at Xcel Energy Center. Maybe the concert I've enjoyed the most in my life.

Dhani Harrison was the opener and he joined Jeff Lynne onstage to perform Handle with Care.

Here's the video:

https://photos.smugmug.com/...

His own music wasn't to my taste but there were definite signs of the genetic influence.

I'll bet that was a great show. Thanks for sharing.

Good stuff. I like the fact we are just a month or so short of 50 years since that last notes of Abbey Road were put on tape, and the Beatles called it a day.

So 50 years on Paul just finished a tour, Ringo comes right here to Wolf Trap next month, and Dhani does right by his dad with a great version of Handle With Care. Scary to think that song is over 30 years old now.

Jeff Lynne is an under appreciated musical genius. What he accomplished with ELO, then as a Producer, is hard to match.

I have all the ELO albums through 'Out of the Blue" on Vinyl, saw them twice at their peak in the 70's...great date music!

Even the last US-distributed "Move" album "Split Ends" with Jeff is superb.

Jeff Lynne is an under appreciated musical genius. What he accomplished with ELO, then as a Producer, is hard to match.

I have all the ELO albums through 'Out of the Blue" on Vinyl, saw them twice at their peak in the 70's...great date music!

Even the last US-distributed "Move" album "Split Ends" with Jeff is superb.

– Twangmeisternyc

The Move were a great underrated band, both in the studio and live, much like The Hollies.

Saw this same show when they came to Nashville a few weeks back. The setlist has been pretty much identical for each show, but it was definitely money well spent.

ELO "The Big Night" 1978 was my first real live show experience. My mom took me. She said, "What's that smell?" When that UFO opened up and the lights, lasers and smoke blasted in with the opening strains of "Concerto for a Rainy Day" I was in complete awe...It's actually a high point of my life. I still love ELO. I had all of their records as a teen. It's the first time my Mom requested that I make her a tape of what I was listening to. I'm sure last night's show was great too. Ahhhhh.

That was great! Thanks for posting!

That was a fun video to watch. Thanks.

Thanks for the video! It chokes me up when Dhani sings in place of his father...like in The Concert for George. Sorry I missed it. I'm less than 10 minutes from the venue.

Thanks for the video! It chokes me up when Dhani sings in place of his father...like in The Concert for George. Sorry I missed it. I'm less than 10 minutes from the venue.

– DanPatch

I was talking to someone yesterday about Lavonne Music in Savage. Shop there?

I bought a pedal there last summer. They had an unexpectedly varied selection, including some nice old Gibsons. Seemed like nice people..real Mom and Pop atmosphere. On a side note, when I was in the parking lot I saw some glowing orbs in the sky...at first I thought someone was having fun with drones, but their movement was reminiscent of a small bird flock..rapid changes in speed, altitude and proximity, then one by one they ubruptly vanished.

I've been meaning to visit again. ( insert alien emoji )

I took my oldest daughter (age 11 at the time) to an ELO concert in Philadelphia in Oct., 1981 (the "Time" Tour). Last August she took me to a Jeff Lynne's ELO concert in Denver, CO (her home now). The man can clearly still "bring it"!! It was among the best live concerts I've seen.

I've been a huge Jeff Lynne fan since the '70's. The man is an extraordinary talent in virtually every aspect of music.

Thanks for that. Great to see.

I grew up with ELO on the radio all the time, but never bought any of their albums. One of the first 45 singles I bought, though, was "Don't Bring Me Down."

I remember thinking he seemed a bit like the odd man out in the Wilburys, and I kind of chafed a bit at his production touches on George's "Cloud 9" and some of Petty's work from that period.

But I've come to appreciate him better, in more recent years. He is indeed, underappreciated, I think, especially as a singer. His voice is at once immediately recognizable, and amazingly pliant. It's like a perfect pop music voice.

There's a great video of him doing some of his best songs just on acoustic guitar with pianist Richard Tandy. I think it's one of the things that helped me appreciate how great his songs are, hearing them in this stripped-down format. And you really appreciate his singing, too.

I made a junket to San Jose to see Dhani and Jeff with ELO earlier this month. I just loved the show; so much so, I tried to convince myself that the 2nd row ticket in Nashville that was "mine" would drop from the stratisphere if only I drove down to claim it. When I last checked, from home, it still was over $1,500. This show is well worth it; but, my extravagant show budget is tapped, currently. Get to see them if you are able.

Here's my video of Jeff & Dhani in San Jose (I love Dhani's high tenor):

https://scontent-ort2-1.xx....

Thanks O! It’s even better close up.

Register Sign in to join the conversation