Miscellaneous Rumbles

Corona virus sucks.

Meanwhile in my country:

https://www.reuters.com/art...

Our psychopath president, acting like the usual douchebag he is

– João Erbetta

Current plan being floated here:

I suspect that my wife and I had a mild case of this virus over a month ago. We both had excessively of runny noses, sore throat, a cough, extreme fatigue, and an elivated temperature. It didn't feel like any cold either of us ever had before. While we had runny noses, our nasel passages didn't feel sick. A normal head cold makes your nasel passages sore and sneezy. This was just an extremely runny nose without the sneezing and soreness.

The worst part of it, for us, was the extreme fatigue. We both had a difficult time getting up and doing anything. We both felt dizzy, vertigo when standing up. We were sick for the better part of a week, and had lingering coughs for another week or two.

While I'm not positive that we had Covid-19, I am certain that I just didn't feel like anything else I've ever had. I find myself hoping that it was Covid-19 (so hopefully we are immune to it now), my wife works from home and I'm retired, so we didn't go out during the illness. Our chances of infecting anyone else is slim to none.

Since the CDC has stated that the majority of cases will be mild, I hope we and all of you, our family and friends will dodge the bullet on this one. Be well my friends.... Wade.

Over 500,000 UK residents have volunteered to help the NHS in the UK. Do we here in the US still do shared sacrifice? Where are our volunteers?

We haven't called for any. Lots of folks are volunteering locally though. I do wellness checks on my elderly neighbors and run what errands I can for them. Lots of ways to help out, but no federal program for volunteers yet.

I suspect that my wife and I had a mild case of this virus over a month ago. We both had excessively of runny noses, sore throat, a cough, extreme fatigue, and an elivated temperature. It didn't feel like any cold either of us ever had before. While we had runny noses, our nasel passages didn't feel sick. A normal head cold makes your nasel passages sore and sneezy. This was just an extremely runny nose without the sneezing and soreness.

The worst part of it, for us, was the extreme fatigue. We both had a difficult time getting up and doing anything. We both felt dizzy, vertigo when standing up. We were sick for the better part of a week, and had lingering coughs for another week or two.

While I'm not positive that we had Covid-19, I am certain that I just didn't feel like anything else I've ever had. I find myself hoping that it was Covid-19 (so hopefully we are immune to it now), my wife works from home and I'm retired, so we didn't go out during the illness. Our chances of infecting anyone else is slim to none.

Since the CDC has stated that the majority of cases will be mild, I hope we and all of you, our family and friends will dodge the bullet on this one. Be well my friends.... Wade.

– Wade H

Hi Wade- Same with me.....back in October I felt "off" for a few days but still hit the gym until I woke up shaky as hell on a Sunday morning, fever by night and a fever that never fell below 103.5 deg. for Monday thru Thursday. CityMD confirmed it was not a strain of the flu and were confused. I thought it was weird......no post-nasal drip, runny or stuffy nose but "kind-of" dry/sore throat and then a very odd dry cough that lasted for a month+, I bought a lot of Mucinex but it dd not really have much affect.

After 3 weeks, it started to taper off but then spent another 4+ weeks of strong fatigue. My doctor, who did not see me at the time as I was away on a contract, suspected that it was a high probability of the virus. My breathing really didn't get back to normal til after Christmas.

3 days after I got back from the NJ mini roundup (great time, btw) I got a sore throat, the next day I was definitely sick, head cold symptoms, then coughing. I was miserable for a few days and then started to feel better, a little each day until now. I am still coughing a bit. I never got a fever but it was very bizarre watching this pandemic while coughing my lungs out.

I currently have a non-Coronavirus related health issue and require treatment five days a week. The steps taken to protect both patients and staff at the facility have been getting much more stringent lately. The medical professionals have definitely been taking this seriously and I believe that everyone there appreciates their efforts. If one follows the adage that it’s not what they say but what they do that counts (and I do), then this situation must be taken very seriously. Even if projections end up being high, I believe in the precautions and charts.

I work at a metropolitan trauma/medical center in the capital city of California. There are 10 dedicated isolation/negative pressure rooms within the hospital, and two weeks ago three rooms in the ER were converted. The ER lobby has been split, with possible COVID patients kept in one while non-COVID patients wait in a converted conference room. The ER has been divided with one half semi-sealed off. In addition, an entire pre-op ward has been dedicated for suspected COVID infections.

The latest CDC/UCLA joint report that came out Monday seems to indicate that the Corona virus is aerosol and can remain airborne for up to 3 hours. It can also remain viable on plastic and cardboard surfaces for up to 24 hours. To compound this, hospitals are facing shortages and possible depletion of N-95 masks and splash proof aprons, each which SHOULD be disposed between patients. You do the math.

As of yesterday, the CEO informed us that reusable cloth masks are being purchased and we have accepted donations of ponchos from a sporting goods retailer to use when the medical aprons run out.

I have seen so much conflicting data from the usual sources that I don’t believe much that I read. I know what I see at work, and I’m actually surprised that it isn’t worse. I have friends that work at other hospitals in the region and they pretty much say the same thing. If you believe the data from other cities, the infection here should peak in the next two weeks.

Like others here, I had a 24 hour flu a few weeks ago. My wife has had a sore throat, cough and sore muscles the last week, and some of my coworkers have experienced various symptoms that may or may not be Corona. Without testing it’s impossible to know. And there lies the rub.

Without 100% testing the latitude of symptoms will never be known. I think it’s bad practice to assume that the cough you had last week was COVID. You never assume anything in scientific data. I do know that I’m more methodic now in keeping my hands clean and away from my face. When I get home I leave my shoes and clothes in the garage and head straight for the shower. I sleep in one of the empty bedrooms afforded by our empty nest.

Last night at a “townhall” meeting the CEO said that if and when all the protective gear is depleted we should be prepared to take care of patients without it. I will of coarse cause that’s my job and I think you accept more than pay when you do this kind of work. We all do.

My advise: don’t go to the hospital ER for anything short of chest pain or difficulty breathing. If it ain’t gonna kill you don’t go to the ER and sit next to someone that has an infection that might. You’d be shocked at how many “tummy aches” I’m scanning every night.

Use your head, wash your hands, get out and walk, get some sleep and drink your orange juice. Never underestimate the power of Vitamin C. Linus Pauling believed in it and that’s good enough for me.

Cheers guys.

I work at a metropolitan trauma/medical center in the capital city of California. There are 10 dedicated isolation/negative pressure rooms within the hospital, and two weeks ago three rooms in the ER were converted. The ER lobby has been split, with possible COVID patients kept in one while non-COVID patients wait in a converted conference room. The ER has been divided with one half semi-sealed off. In addition, an entire pre-op ward has been dedicated for suspected COVID infections.

The latest CDC/UCLA joint report that came out Monday seems to indicate that the Corona virus is aerosol and can remain airborne for up to 3 hours. It can also remain viable on plastic and cardboard surfaces for up to 24 hours. To compound this, hospitals are facing shortages and possible depletion of N-95 masks and splash proof aprons, each which SHOULD be disposed between patients. You do the math.

As of yesterday, the CEO informed us that reusable cloth masks are being purchased and we have accepted donations of ponchos from a sporting goods retailer to use when the medical aprons run out.

I have seen so much conflicting data from the usual sources that I don’t believe much that I read. I know what I see at work, and I’m actually surprised that it isn’t worse. I have friends that work at other hospitals in the region and they pretty much say the same thing. If you believe the data from other cities, the infection here should peak in the next two weeks.

Like others here, I had a 24 hour flu a few weeks ago. My wife has had a sore throat, cough and sore muscles the last week, and some of my coworkers have experienced various symptoms that may or may not be Corona. Without testing it’s impossible to know. And there lies the rub.

Without 100% testing the latitude of symptoms will never be known. I think it’s bad practice to assume that the cough you had last week was COVID. You never assume anything in scientific data. I do know that I’m more methodic now in keeping my hands clean and away from my face. When I get home I leave my shoes and clothes in the garage and head straight for the shower. I sleep in one of the empty bedrooms afforded by our empty nest.

Last night at a “townhall” meeting the CEO said that if and when all the protective gear is depleted we should be prepared to take care of patients without it. I will of coarse cause that’s my job and I think you accept more than pay when you do this kind of work. We all do.

My advise: don’t go to the hospital ER for anything short of chest pain or difficulty breathing. If it ain’t gonna kill you don’t go to the ER and sit next to someone that has an infection that might. You’d be shocked at how many “tummy aches” I’m scanning every night.

Use your head, wash your hands, get out and walk, get some sleep and drink your orange juice. Never underestimate the power of Vitamin C. Linus Pauling believed in it and that’s good enough for me.

Cheers guys.

– Powdog

Thanks and you be safe out there.

We all are suffering!

– Hipbone

Here's some medicine for this crazy folk talk!

Godspeed, amigo. I choked up a little reading this. You have great courage.

– Wade H

Mmmm...I’ve got something similar.But has anyone else here had different or uncommon common colds or any other strange colds say in the last 6 months??? Halloween 2019 while at work a few hours before my shift ended I felt a semi pinpointed sight of pressure almost center mass of my chest...only when taking a deep breath,actually noticed it while drinking a Coke.I thought well,if this is bronchitis again it sure feels like it’s coming in a little strange this time.My shift ends a few hours later and it’s a 1/4 mi walk to our parking lot,when I get to my truck I’m dizzy and have to sit down.Get my bearings ,climb in and get home straight to shower and bed.Next day I feel bad but not terrible.Now I know most times when I get a cold when it’s going to peak and normally when is going to be my worst time so I figured that night or the morning was going to be my worst.Nope.....that night I awoke to having to use the bathroom but could not move ,my bones hurt so bad like having razor sharp sand spurs in my joints.My wife had to help me out and into the bathroom.Get back in bed,take a 800 Ibuprofen and all hell breaks lose.Fever like I’ve never,ever had but I pass out unbeknownst to my wife or myself really.Wake up a few hours later soaked.Washed sheets,felt like shit,took another Ibuprofen and same thing happened,had a fever and shakes like never before in my life.For two more days I lay on the floor wrapped in blankets,shaking and shivering,unable to move..literally could not walk on my own.Day 4 I’m finally able to move,still with fever shaking like I’m in a deep freezer and off to the Dr.I have the flu that say but we’ll test.Test came back negative...two Dr’s come in asking my wife questions while a nurse is drawing blood and want to treat me for pneumonia.I’ve had the ‘walking pneumonia’ which was the only time I’ve ever been to the Dr for any type of cold or such as it were.....and this didn’t feel like no pneumonia or even fluneumonia.Sent me on my way with a bunch of meds to which I did start to feel better but to this day I still have the cough that’ll last for 20 min or so then it’s gone for a few days.Said they wanted to send my test off to CDC and I’d have results back in a day.My wife went back for them and was told after conducting two tests from blood and swabs my results were inconclusive but was definitely not the flu.All this was back at Halloween and into the first two weeks of November of ‘19.

Hi Ethan, You are in my thoughts, brother! It's just starting to get ugly here, and we also worry that the PPE is going to run out. I know a greedy realtor who is sitting on millions of N95s trying to price gouge, and I hope the DOJ goes after her at some point - but that's not my dog. The failure of the people watching over the Strategic National Stockpile is basically criminal. But we still have to get the job done, somehow, with or without proper PPE. We know that the CDC doesn't have our back. Bandanas. Is this real life? Testing here is now reserved for symptomatic healthcare workers, and hospitalized patients. There is very vocal outrage among entitled people who want tests on demand, which is silly because it doesn't change the treatment plan one bit. And negative today may doesn't assure that you're negative tomorrow. So I don't know why they get so worked up. But they do. I hope you are getting enough rest and staying healthy. Take care, my friend! JB

Josh, you’re one helluva man, wading through it all as you’re doing.

God speed to you brutha.

I pray that everybody here dodges the bullet.

Just canceled my Caribbean cruise.. not super concerned about the virus as much as getting trapped in a 14 extra day quarantine situation in a cabin with no windows !

– GaryE

I scheduled this week for vacation, was thinking of driving to Nashville like I did last year and hearing great music; instead I'm looking at my cat and playing my guitar.

I do have to return to the office in-person Monday morning, 2am, for essential business. I'd rather look at the cat and play the guitar. BTW, yesterday was the first time I left the Gretsch case open unattended for a minute. When I came back, the cat was in it. So stereotypical.

Hi Ethan, You are in my thoughts, brother! It's just starting to get ugly here, and we also worry that the PPE is going to run out. I know a greedy realtor who is sitting on millions of N95s trying to price gouge, and I hope the DOJ goes after her at some point - but that's not my dog. The failure of the people watching over the Strategic National Stockpile is basically criminal. But we still have to get the job done, somehow, with or without proper PPE. We know that the CDC doesn't have our back. Bandanas. Is this real life? Testing here is now reserved for symptomatic healthcare workers, and hospitalized patients. There is very vocal outrage among entitled people who want tests on demand, which is silly because it doesn't change the treatment plan one bit. And negative today may doesn't assure that you're negative tomorrow. So I don't know why they get so worked up. But they do. I hope you are getting enough rest and staying healthy. Take care, my friend! JB

– JBGretschGuy

Do you know whether or not this person hoarding millions of N95s has been reported?

My wife and her Quilting Club crew have been going all out these last few days making masks for our local Hospice folks.

Not necessarily to prevent COVID-19, but to provide some added level of protection against other more well known risks. It allows visitations to continue by Staff and family members.

Whatever masks that had been used before are in short supply.

Fingers-crossed that it aids in keeping those visits on-going...Hospice is a hard time for everyone.

Do you know whether or not this person hoarding millions of N95s has been reported?

– Knoxy

I'm not sure how you do that. I'll bet someone will.

I'm not sure how you do that. I'll bet someone will.

– JBGretschGuy

Here ya' go, Contact the National Center for Disaster Fraud Hotline at 866-720-5721 or via email at disaster@leo.gov

That link from DOJ site, https://www.justice.gov/cor...

This is a helpful site with testing numbers broken out by state:

https://covidtracking.com/

If this data is accurate, NY State is doing like 12,000 - 16,000 tests per day, and the percentage coming up positive is rising.

My wife is an R.N. in New York. She may be put on 12 hour shifts, 7 days a week as a result of this crap.

Just venting .

– UncleGrumpy

My best wishes to you and yours. Not enough money Or guitars In the world to have me walk onto a ward and then be willing to do it again the next day. My full admiration for this.

A Corona virus PSA from John Fogerty.

Have a good weekend everyone. It was a hell of a week.

A Corona virus PSA from John Fogerty.

Have a good weekend everyone. It was a hell of a week.

– Powdog

Thanks for posting. I really needed to hear that.

Register Sign in to join the conversation