Miscellaneous Rumbles

Corona virus sucks.

My wife is an R.N. in New York. She may be put on 12 hour shifts, 7 days a week as a result of this crap.

Just venting .

the bright side... with all that overtime cash she can buy you a new Gretsch.

That would be nice but I'm getting ready to double the size of my house so all of my spare change will go towards that .

I had to wear this when working with a patient. She’s not Chinese nor did she travelled there. She was Vietnamese but she traveled to Taiwan. I guess Taiwan is on the “list”. The hospital staff didn’t think she has Covid-19 AKA Coronavirus but they quarantined her in an isolation room and when I did a portable X-ray of her I had to wear this getup. LOL I felt like I was wearing an outfit like Marty McFly in Back To The Future when he startled George McFly as well as the farmer and his family.

Just canceled my Caribbean cruise.. not super concerned about the virus as much as getting trapped in a 14 extra day quarantine situation in a cabin with no windows !

I'm in healthcare too. It's currently making my life miserable on a daily basis.

Just canceled my Caribbean cruise.. not super concerned about the virus as much as getting trapped in a 14 extra day quarantine situation in a cabin with no windows !

– GaryE

A friend of mine told me the same thing at lunch yesterday. And another friend who was bold enough to actually leave on his cruise wound up circling off Ft Lauderdale for an extra full day because two crew members had transferred to the East Coast ship from the one on the West Coast that did have a problem (and finally landed near San Francisco yesterday).

But these two crew folk arrived on their new ship over 30 days ago! Go figure.

The incubation period is something like 10 -14 days, and the pair left the Grand Princess over 30 earlier, yet the Homeland folks, once they learned of their presence aboard, apparently threatened the ship with the same fate (14 day "at sea" quarantine) unless the two were turned over or tested. Then, until the test results were back, the ship had to stay outside the 12 mile limit.

Apparently, the captain was utterly beside himself. He had no warning, none. There were no suspiscious infections aboard, and all was perfect for a landing around dawn on Saturday as usual.. Instead, he finally threw lines after midnight Sunday, very early Monday morning.

Most people spent the night aboard because the hotel rooms were full of people waiting to board. Talk about a schedule-wrecker!

A friend of mine told me the same thing at lunch yesterday. And another friend who was bold enough to actually leave on his cruise wound up circling off Ft Lauderdale for an extra full day because two crew members had transferred to the East Coast ship from the one on the West Coast that did have a problem (and finally landed near San Francisco yesterday).

But these two crew folk arrived on their new ship over 30 days ago! Go figure.

The incubation period is something like 10 -14 days, and the pair left the Grand Princess over 30 earlier, yet the Homeland folks, once they learned of their presence aboard, apparently threatened the ship with the same fate (14 day "at sea" quarantine) unless the two were turned over or tested. Then, until the test results were back, the ship had to stay outside the 12 mile limit.

Apparently, the captain was utterly beside himself. He had no warning, none. There were no suspiscious infections aboard, and all was perfect for a landing around dawn on Saturday as usual.. Instead, he finally threw lines after midnight Sunday, very early Monday morning.

Most people spent the night aboard because the hotel rooms were full of people waiting to board. Talk about a schedule-wrecker!

– Kevin Frye

Strange times indeed!

I'm in healthcare too. It's currently making my life miserable on a daily basis.

– JBGretschGuy

Me too. But as my friend Dr Singh always says, “Get used to it. It’s only gonna get worse”.

Our ER just set up its 4th isolation negative pressure room. Patients require the full costume, head to toe.

I think if you’re gonna get it you’re gonna get it, from the place you least suspect. Get your sleep and drink your orange juice. Standard flu precautions.

Supposed to be doing a South Pacific cruise in a fortnight. Royal Caribbean have been really good with updates, emails etc. All the stuff we gotta do to board is unbelievable, plus they’re gonna put everyone thru temperature scans and stuff. Lucky I’ve got a balcony suite !!

On the downside here, everybody is buying up rice, pasta, long life milk and toilet paper.....................just in case the worst happens. People are fighting over toilet paper, to the extent of getting arrested...... it just amazes me !!!

The up side.......petrol is cheap !!

Does it ever. Two friends of mine have just had month-long tours canceled, and it's costing them a lot of money.

We were heading to Italy May 9... we already cancelled the trip, didn't want to deal with the uncertainty of it all. Unfortunately, unless American Airlines cancels the trip, we will have to figure something out, we can't lose over $2K for those tickets.... Delta just cancelled all flight to Italy thru April. While I don't want more people sick, I hope AA starts cancelling too... through MAY at least, that would get us off the hook.

We bought travel insurance.... first time ever... what a scam. Unless you die or are hospitalized, they won't cover anything. When I called they have a recording (I never even got to talk to a human) saying "Covid-19 is NOT covered."

Hello everyone, Paolo from Italy here; I live in southern Italy in Sicily, here about fifty people are infected with the virus. The most serious situation is in northern Italy, in Lombardy. However the situation is very complicated, let's try to stay as isolated as possible. In these cases it is comforting to have a great passion like music and guitar, being closed at home you will not be bored.

Am I the only one noticing a HUGE disconnect between what we're being told about this disease versus what the authorities are actually doing ? On one hand,it's just the flu,most people get a little sniffle,no biggie. The regular flu kills thousands each year,don't panic. Then entire countries close down,travel restricted, ect.... I hate to sound overly paranoid, but someone's not owning up to something.

I think the concern is more about the fact that it’s brand new so no-one really knows for sure what’s going to happen, and also the apparent speed it’s spreading.

I just wish crazy people would stop panic buying. You can’t get soap or toilet roll anywhere around here. I heard one expert on the radio the other day say he expects to see cases of food poisoning plummet now people are washing their hands like they’re supposed to

Only time will tell, but right now, from everything I've seen, the media is causing panic. I'm not saying the situation isn't worth worrying about, because it's an unknown. But some of the media outlets would have you think was a new black plague or something... everyone just needs to calm down, stop panic buying toilet paper LOL and follow the STATISTICS- not the headlines- to see how this thing is progressing. Nothing wrong with "better safe than sorry", but causing a global panic borders on the criminal (almost like inciting riot)

Thank God for Amazon and drones, eh?

I’m totally aware of the media causing panic with alarmist headlines, I just have never seen governments go along with it unless it’s in their interests to do so. Crashing the world economy seems a bit counterintuitive.

Saudi Arabia is what's causing the market crash now, flooding the market with low price oil. That started yesterday.

Oil prices have fallen because of the massive decrease in economic activity that has and will continue to occur during this outbreak. The market crashed because the oil companies are heavily leveraged, hence the banks who own that debt getting hammered in the market as well as oil stocks. Our government has already used the levers to control the damage - lowering interest rates, tax cuts, and spending to keep the market artificially high for the last couple of years, so there isn't much that can be done about it. That's why this is going to move fast. 2T debt and at least a year or two of full blown recession.

Saudi Arabia is what's causing the market crash now, flooding the market with low price oil. That started yesterday.

– ruger9

Yep,Crown Prince put his fam on house arrest in their finest hotel to claim next in line to the throne and now has started a oil war with Russia in hopes of collapsing their oil market.And yeah the virus sucks but I say be smart and take advice of health experts not the media.

"at least a year or two of full blown recession."

Well, forgive me for not trying to predict the future, but... I'll believe it when I see it. Things change so quickly these days, I'm not into forecasts of any kind.

There is a massive liquidity problem right now. I'm not sure how that is going to change quickly, but I'd be all for it. The supply chain disruption is already baked in, the next few months are gonna be ugly, even if someone could put everything back the way it was tomorrow.

Looks like setting my 401k account to a secured Money Market was a great idea, a few weeks back.

Register Sign in to join the conversation