Miscellaneous Rumbles

Confessions of a Guitar Hoarder

Well I am the opposite, with a 5 guitar limit (not counting basses) but I know people like this and they are quite happy with their Pile of Firewood. So this is a good thing.

Still some of them haven't been watching tho and are still living in the sky's-the limit-world of 20 years about their guitars' value and with exceptions, of course, that scene has changed. In some cases, what went up did come down but they won't acknowledge that reality.

I read something that the human interest in collecting things goes back to the days of cavemen being fascinated with shiny rocks, etc.

I have ten, right now and I will admit they don't all get played but I'm no collector. Wait, I have 9, I just gave one away, recently.

I tell myself every night, I need all these guitars as reference! In all seriousness, I only care for about 6 guitars.

I've scaled back considerably over the years, from a stable stable of 12 (with some rotation) to 3. Some of this had to do continual financial struggles over the last 10 years, while a good deal of it was I found my sound and kind of lost interest in having a "pallet" of guitars. As a guitarist I sketch portraits in charcoal; I'm not an impressionist.

I own 10 (not including two sitting idle back in the states). I found a sure fire way to stop me from adding to the collection. Play them. My playing skills are so poor it helps to remind me that another guitar won't change that fact.

I still have my eye on one of those Rondo Tele's with the P90's.

22 electrics,3 acoustics,a Dobro,3 basses,4 pedal steels,14 amps and a 16 channel bi-amped PA......

It's NOT hoarding if you put things away neatly!

I've never had more than maybe six guitars. For the last 10+ years, that has scaled down to two, and for most of that time it's been one. The plan has always been two, but my number two has been a stalled custom build paid for in 2011 that has yet to materialize. I used to feel like I needed to be able to "cover sonic ground," but after a while decided I'm good with one tone, my tone. I could feel justified in having three (FilterTrons, DeArmonds and Rickenbacker toasters), but don't feel particularly compelled to.

I’ve given away several guitars and amps to people starting out or in need.

Right now I have 7 on my wall, 1 on a chair and 1 in the bedroom. How many do I need? Probably 4...maybe 5...possibly 6........

When my Dad was my age he had a cool saying: "It's better to give with a warm hand than a cold hand."

.....I dunno, it had more of a rhythmic rhyme when he said it in Italian! Anyway,

When we moved, back in November, I remembered that comment and gave my "extra" guitars to my kids and grandkids.

Our son got the the classical I built from Ramirez plans made of twigs and planks from Luthiers Mercantile, and our grandson who was there every step of the way changing a stock 2007 5120 to a mock 58 6120 with TV Classics and new old stock gold painted embossed pickguard got the Gretsch. The other kids and grandkids got he remainder of the fiddles depending on who they were when, and who they are related to.

Me, I still got me my go-to MIA Tele which may visit a local woodshop for a "Smuggler" make over if I keep on losing muscle mass!

How much is a sh!tload?

'Cause that's what I have.

I've never had more than 150 guitars at one time. I'm fine.

I topped out at 26, sent several to nieces and nephews in Alaska. Thought I had broken the habit when I got down to half a dozen, it has now grown back to 11. That is justified by one relative coming down to get 2 or three, and of course I HAD to by a short scale for medicinal purposes!! Price has/had nothing to do with what was added, if ya like it? Buy it! Some of the "cheaper" ones outplayed the top priced ones!

I keep telling myself that I'm going to scale down. But then I scale up. I've never had more than 20 or so around at any time. Most are from a time in my life when I could reduce taxes on my gigging income by buying gear.

Ten. A couple of them are unplayable that I've only held onto for sentimental reasons, like my father-in-laws 1930s Silvertone.

I'd like to hear from a guitar hoarder like Jim Irsay.

Seeing this thread's title, I've often wondered what's happened to Cam's collection.

I made an album with my guitar collection. I bought or made every guitar for a sonic reason. They are works of art and tools. I detailed it all here: Light Your Way

Disposable income. If one has enough to give others, great. If another has enough to live, pay the mortgage/rent, put food on the table and have the disposable income to entertain purchases that expand their pursuit of love in their hobbies........Really good.

While there is a difference between the author of the article and the pathetic soul on TV that is living in a house where one can barely move, that line is a little clouded.

I get it.......Live decades, indulge in a hobby, and presto!!!!.....a person finds that they have a crapload of material (that still works and provides value). What people buy is none of my business. If that person buys beyond their financial ability and increasing their debt, then I try to "mediate".

The best is 1) enjoy your hobby(s) and fund them accordingly within means that do not risk the ability to afford living essentials.; 2) If someone finds they have a collection of tangible goods that far exceeds their need/want and no longer serves a purpose, then sell it and; 3) Invest the money and make it work for the future....one can never be too financially stable.; but 4) Financial stability is not a problem? Use the $$$ from the sales and donate to a cause....food pantry, animal rescue, etc.....

I love what I have. I cannot purchase more without creating financial risk (the exception is a few pedals) but have a list of over 6 guitars I would love to own and explore. Therefore, until my disposable income gets to a level that say any FA (or Suze Orman) would approve of, then I will not be expanding the collection.

At my peak back in the 90s I had 12. I may decide not to even have an acoustic. The Phantom 9 is passing thru. Got another Duo Sonic build in the works.

For me, it's Experiment or Die.

Me, I still got me my go-to MIA Tele which may visit a local woodshop for a "Smuggler" make over if I keep on losing muscle mass! - F107plus5

Never heard of that before. Kind of interesting.

Wasn’t it John Hodgman who said the difference between hoarding and collecting is a display case?

I tend to have a dozen or two around all the time. Most of them come and go. More coming than going lately, but that’s laziness about selling, not hoarding.

There’s no magic total number for me. When I find one I like I’ll buy it. I’m a tinkerer, so I almost always end up messing with them. I’ll try all the different pickup combos, wiring schemes, caps, strings, removing bracing, amps, pedals, whatever that I think will work well. Like a never ending tone quest. Eventually I’ll get bored with one or it’ll get over shadowed by newer ones and I’ll get rid of it. No point it having cases of unplayed gear.

Every now and then I’ll end up with a keeper. That 6120 Smoke (if that didn’t have trestles it’d be perfect), and old hot rod, a Tele with just the right neck, more recently a Nocturne Rooster (with a second in progress and likely a third after that).

Doing something charitable with the outgoing gear sounds like a nice idea. Or maybe just an online garage sale.

If anyone here feels the need to "loan" some guitars, basses or keyboards please PM me and I'll give you the address of a wonderful person who would take them off your hands..... (why does the wink emoji never work for me???)

Currently sitting on 23 guitars. 4 acoustics, one tic tac bass, the rest are electrics, mostly Gretsch. Plus three or four ukuleles, a lap steel, and a cocktail drum kit.

Didn't set out to be a hoarder. Didn't set out to be a collector either. I'm a player. Just ended up accumulating too much...

I don’t have “a tone” and I LOVE how different guitar tones, just like different snare drums, can so dramatically affect the character of a given groove, song, and/or mix. Ergo, along with just a deep affection for guitars and their differences, sonically and construction-wise,...jeez, I’ve gone on this diatribe before...

I’ve gifted 2 guitars and a bass through the years. I’ve also given a couple to my sons, but I consider that as just giving them to them early, because they’ll have ALL of them after I buy the farm.

I have every guitar I’ve always wanted, barring a Byrdland (but that’d just to be a nice-to-have. Won’t kill me never to own one. I already have a few nice-to-haves.)

But I play ‘em all and suck playing each one. Big fun!

I don’t have “a tone” and I LOVE how different guitar tones, just like different snare drums, can so dramatically affect the character of a given groove, song, and/or mix. Ergo, along with just a deep affection for guitars and their differences, sonically and construction-wise,...jeez, I’ve gone on this diatribe before...

I’ve gifted 2 guitars and a bass through the years. I’ve also given a couple to my sons, but I consider that as just giving them to them early, because they’ll have ALL of them after I buy the farm.

I have every guitar I’ve always wanted, barring a Byrdland (but that’d just to be a nice-to-have. Won’t kill me never to own one. I already have a few nice-to-haves.)

But I play ‘em all and suck playing each one. Big fun!

– tubwompus

I'm with ya 100% Tubwompus and that with my love for music, I hear tone, love tone, chase tone! I have 9 electric and 2 acoustics. My 1st non-Strat guitar, Gretsch Black Phoenix, was an easy choice because it fixed a "feel" issue and loved the tone.....I was in a year+ long rut and needed to switch it up with a guitar that had a wider and fuller neck profile. It was instant improvement.

Playing got better so so did my exposure to tone and bought what fit the desire. Except for the Wah and my Tech 21 foot switch, I never owned a pedal so the guitar had to bring the tone. I do have an Echorec delay pedal on the way but that GAS has been brewing for years.

I have a Rat Rod and a few others on "The Want" list but need to build the disposable income thing first.

As for my acoustics, the Sigma by Martin I have is awesome and my Taylor is a 10-for-10 for feel and tone. I'd love a quality resonator for my slide playing and a Dreadnought for "tonal expansion".

Register Sign in to join the conversation