Miscellaneous Rumbles

Clocks?

My sister asked me to come by and fix her clock, said it wasn’t keeping time. Always 6 o’clock.

Well, the hour hand was loose. That’s all. I built this for her 25 years ago and it’s still spot on. Keeps perfect time.

Any old clock addicts out there? My love for old mechanical things has no bounds.

That's a pretty timepiece!

My Dad built two---well, at least the cases. The works are a different animal. One's 7' grandfather that my nephew has, and I have cherry mantle clock that just had new works installed last year. Mine has three different types of chimes, tho I stay with the Westminster. They ring 24 hours a day, and you get used to them in no time. Kind of reassuring to hear them. I enjoy the Sunday afternoon ritual of winding it. It's like keeping in touch with Dad 42 years after he passed.

English Elliott Mantle Clock, it's the one I told you about.

The Father-in-Law has about 30 Antique Clocks...

We as well have a Black Forest Cuckoo Clock, it's in storage at the moment.

I have an old steeple shelf clock from some time in the 19thh century. It's in pieces somewhere in my basement. I don't throw it out because I'm fascinated by its workings. Still have the key.

English Elliott Mantle Clock, it's the one I told you about.

The Father-in-Law has about 30 Antique Clocks...

We as well have a Black Forest Cuckoo Clock, it's in storage at the moment.

– Twangmeisternyc

Nice Windsors! I’m a chair junkie too. Ask my wife.

Just like the Elliott Clock Company, the Hitchcock Chair Company is no longer in business.

Times change...no pun intended.

These are the University/Legal Office model. Black lacquer with natural seat...

Solid as a rock, made from Hickory?

My wife just reminded me her father has even more chairs...most too fragile to sit in!

That's so cool. I've never gotten past swapping out old broken guts for craft store quartz movements.

Another pun? Solid as a rock usually implies rock maple.

I made the one pictured and it’s mate of rock maple including the seat, which is often made of pine. Carving maple with an adze is a real pain.

I have a cherry version as well. I thought of taking a chair making internship, but they’re just too much work for the appreciation they get.

That's so cool. I've never gotten past swapping out old broken guts for craft store quartz movements.

– Mel Waldorf

Yea, I’m guilty of that too. I pulled an old French made movement out of this mantle clock but didn’t dare mess with it.

I have a friend who started fixing old clock movements, ended up working on Rolex watches. He would micro machine new gears to correct losing time. Some guys just have all the talent.

I decided to buy my mom a desk clock which took me down a bit of a rabbit hole for a year or two.

The best discovery I made was that someone just south of me in Fargo, ND has a very cool shop. https://m.facebook.com/pg/t...

I just remembered I came across the clock I should buy for my dad, that runs on changes in barometric pressure. http://www.curtsclocks.com/

I also found that the old clock in the kitchen that my mom hated when I was a kid was a design icon, or a cheap imitation, an Elgin Starburst.

The first clock I wanted to buy my mom was a Lux annular tape measure clock.

Wow. Presents that you can make for family is so great, always appreciated.

If I can't fix a clock with WD40, I can't fix it (I hear you shouting noooo!)

I have fixed up cuckoo clocks as a hobby and a bit of money on the side.

Cave Valley Clock Works....nice ring to it right? I’m not a timepiece addict by any means but have a great appreciation for them.Always found the inner workings to be amazing works of art liken to that of an automatic transmission.

We have a pair of pendulum wall clocks at our house. There is something calming about their steady, gentle tick-tock heartbeat.

The weight-driven one has a beautiful Westminster chime. An Irish-born client of mine once heard it in the background during a phone call, and exclaimed (in a rich Irish brogue): "It sounds like Big Ben is in the room with ya!"

The other is nice-looking, but sounds like a guitar string breaking when it chimes each hour, so we only wind it's spring-driven time movement.

Before moving a mechanical clock, be sure to let it run down and stop. It'll be measurably lighter that way!

....good advice.

That's a stunningly beautiful clock, Powdog! I built a table top clock, about 7 years ago. I built it from a set of plans, and it has an electric DC motor driven mechanical movement (C - cell battery). The pendulum runs of the battery as well. It keeps perfect time, I never need to adjust it. It's nothing as spectacular as your clock, but I had fun building it.

I also turned the Mahogany bowl, to the left of the clock. I used to have a full wood working shop, and I had a lathe. I miss my shop, I moved and just didn't have a place to build another one. I kept my hand tools, but sadly had to sell the larger stuff.

My parents have had a Herschede grandfather clock in their foyer my whole life. I love the chiming. I'm a watch guy myself, but one of these days I'll try my hand at clock repair. I've tried overhauling watch movements, but I just don't have either the patience or dexterity to deal with those tiny parts. Getting a early 20th century tambour mantel clock has also been on my to-do list for many years.

Here's one of three I made a few years ago for a client.

And a different style one.

I have an 8 foot, 3.7 5 inch tall Gazo Grandfather clock made in 1978. Hand carved alder case. Urgoz German movement with Westminister, Weddington, and St. Michael's chimes. I really lust after and even taller Gazo Grandfather clock that is 9 feet 6 inches tall but, while they show up on ebay from time-to-time but they are about $7000.

My father was working in a house once, admired the various clocks the elderly homeowner had collected and told her. Fast forward a few years and he received a letter from an attorney requesting him to come to his office for an estate settlement. The homeowner left him one of her clocks! He had to find a copy of her obituary and tape it to the bottom of the clock in order to remember her name but never forgot her kindness. The chimes were such a comforting and memorable sound at my parents’ house that I wanted it when it was time to pass it on.

This clock was a wedding gift to my grandparents in the early 1900s. My sister always liked it and our parents gave it to her.

Register Sign in to join the conversation