Miscellaneous Rumbles

Christmas music

Here is one that I just purchased. All (French) horns with a bit of percussion. The American Horn Quartet with the Queensland Symphony horns.

Here is one that I just purchased. All (French) horns with a bit of percussion. The American Horn Quartet with the Queensland Symphony horns.

– Don Birchett

Can't go wrong with French horns!

Can't go wrong with French horns!

– Parabar

Absolutely, my friend. My daughter is the hornist in the family.

Absolutely, my friend. My daughter is the hornist in the family.

– Don Birchett

Make sure you don’t accidentally put an ‘e’ in hornist!

Here's a recording from our appearance on a Spanish-language variety show last year.

It's a shortened (for broadcast; there's a verse or two we left out for brevity's sake) version, but it contains what is quite possibly my favorite introduction of all time. We didn't get the song out on the market quite in time for Christmas last year, but it and the flipside, a Lizardized version of Auld Lang Syne, are available on iTunes in plenty of time for the season this year.

I'm a big fan of Oscar Moore.

Here's the Nat King Cole trio without embellishment.

Lee

Merry Xmas from X, of course. And Joel Patterson just put out a record called HiFi Christmas Guitar

I love Christmas music, and it's never too early for me.

I love the classics Christmas music, like "We Three Kings" and "O Holy Night," and of course all the other formal pieces, sung and played by orchestras and choirs.

I'm not the biggest fan of pop or country stars doing Christmas music, and I truly loath Mannheim Steamroller's versions. Those just aren't for me. If other people like this stuff, that's cool, but I like what I first heard as a kid.

"The Little Drummer Boy" is probably my favorite.

...------

Here's a recording from our appearance on a Spanish-language variety show last year.

It's a shortened (for broadcast; there's a verse or two we left out for brevity's sake) version, but it contains what is quite possibly my favorite introduction of all time. We didn't get the song out on the market quite in time for Christmas last year, but it and the flipside, a Lizardized version of Auld Lang Syne, are available on iTunes in plenty of time for the season this year.

– giffenf

Lovely, Frank. You do a nice harmony.

'Bear Family' has a new Christmas compilation I'm really looking forward to. Have it here already but I don't want to listen to this before December. Well made as always with liner notes, great artwork and all.

'Bear Family' has a new Christmas compilation I'm really looking forward to. Have it here already but I don't want to listen to this before December. Well made as always with liner notes, great artwork and all.

– sascha

I've just bought it, cheers! This is for you my friend.

One from a different point of view

I've just bought it, cheers! This is for you my friend.

– Mr Tubs

Cheers, mate! Now I want a baritone guitar - "with a big bass string".

– RustyG

This is not only one of the best Christmas related tunes but one of the best songs ever. I discovered Paul Kelly late through my love for the talent of Neil Finn and their collaboration live feature "Goin' your way" is a masterpiece. Bought me the Blu-Ray/DVD/2CD/book bundle and it became one of my favourites. Oh, those songs...

Have seen Paul & his recent band play in a small jazz club touring his new album - which is fantastic - a few weeks ago. What a great concert.

John Fahey's "Christmas Guitar" album is one of my favorites. Apparently it was a favorite of Mr. Fahey's, too . . . I think he recorded two or three versions of that record. One sample:

And Bruce Cockburn's Christmas album gets a lot of play in our house (not sure if this link will work, but let's try):

– geoguy

For a guy best known for wanting to kill someone with a Rocket Launcher....

Ms. Deed,

"Xmas" is a transposition error.

It was a Cross, with Mass added...never meant to be noteworthy.

My wife dislikes it, too, but now she gives it a break.

Think "T-mas", just slide the perpendicular slash down a bit.

– sascha

I gave this a full listen today. This is so good. And I'm stunned how great they made it sound without actually changing the original recordings. We're talking mostly 1950s!

– sascha

That is cool artwork for the liner. A 1956 Ford Fairlane Victoria. That's the first car that I really remember. Ours was either Coral two-tone or some sort of tan two-tone. Had it for about 6 years until my dad came home with a '62 Impala. That was quite the upgrade because the Chevy had AIR CONDITIONING. It was sure fun riding around Phoenix in July in a '56 Ford without air conditioning. NOT!

We return you now to the thread on Christmas music.

– RustyG

One of the greatest songs ever written!

One of the greatest songs ever written!

– Lucky_Country

Agreed, there is a cracking cover on Bloodshot's 13 Days Of Xmas by a band called All Our Exes Live In Texas.

Go on give us a kiss.

Register Sign in to join the conversation