Miscellaneous Rumbles

Christmas music

With Christmas a little over a month away I thought I'd wake this thread up.

So please add your favourite Christmas tunes!

I really enjoy Christmas music on Acoustic Guitar. My favorites include CDs by Doug Smith:

Michael Dowdle:

and Lewis Ross:

These are not always the easiest CDs to find but they are all very well done.

Mrs. Wabash likes the Mannheim Steamroller Christmas music. I was very surprised to find out that MS is actually CW McCall of "Convoy" fame. Talk about incongruous.

My tastes run more to Ian Anderson---" The Christmas spirit is not what you drink." I'm more into the classic stuff, Silent Night---first performed on acoustic guitar. After thirty years of working on a huge Christmas Show ( we started building and painting sets in March, November started 16 hour days of rehearsals) I can be a bit of a Scrooge. For me, it's more about the kids and family than anything else.

Mrs. Wabash likes the Mannheim Steamroller Christmas music. I was very surprised to find out that MS is actually CW McCall of "Convoy" fame. Talk about incongruous.

My tastes run more to Ian Anderson---" The Christmas spirit is not what you drink." I'm more into the classic stuff, Silent Night---first performed on acoustic guitar. After thirty years of working on a huge Christmas Show ( we started building and painting sets in March, November started 16 hour days of rehearsals) I can be a bit of a Scrooge. For me, it's more about the kids and family than anything else.

– wabash slim

Slim, you are close. C.W. McCall, actually Bill Fries the former mayor of Ouray, Colorado, is not a part of Mannheim Steamroller. That would be Chip Davis, Arnie Ross, Jackson Berkey and a few others. Bill Fries was an advertising man that came up with commercials for Home Town Bread. Chip Davis (pre-Mannheim) wrote the music for Fries' copy and that eventually led to songs like "Old Home Filler-Up an' Keep on a-Truckin' Café" and eventually "Convoy." Fries, as C. W. McCall eventually did a CD with Mannheim Steamroller but they were two separate projects by Chip Davis.

Mannheim Steamroller is another name for a crescendo.

Thanks for that Doug Smith tip, Mr. Birchett. I just ordered two of his CDs.

Loaded up the jukebox with some of my favorites.

This is a taste of the Christmas music I/we heard Friday...not too shabby!

...------

Are y'all hip to Gregg Miner?

My hometown boys BBVD

A little Dino. Id like to hear Setzer do this one some year

I just like this version of The Angel Gabriel.

Rick Danko and The Band: Christmas Must Be Tonight

Putting up the tree the other day and the good lady wants some Christmas music on to get into character. I put on Vince Guaraldi's Charlie Brown soundtrack. It wasn't Christmassy enough. I put on the Spector Christmas album. It wasn't Christmassy enough. What's a fella to do?

If you ever find yourself in this position there is literally only one solution. You need Christmas shock and awe. You need Dennis Awe.

This thread needs a timely bump so here goes.

Happy Christmas!

Please check out my Christmas song on the Gretsch Pages Radio called "I Want You For Christmas". I'm going to play it this Friday at my office Christmas party.

Gretsch Pages Radio

I like to listen to Elvis' Christmas songs to really get in the Christmas spirit.

– BuddyHollywood

Self promotional BUMP! Ho, Ho, Ho!

Father Christmas - The Kinks

Run Run Rudolph - I like Keef's version better than Chuck's, but the original is no slouch.

I guess it's different in the northern hemisphere. No snow here at christmas - well actually no snow ever! Christmas is hot and bright. I wonder if that's why a lot of folks here can't bear christmas music? I have never heard a christmas song I like. I've been to gigs played just before christmas and whenever a band says "and now for a christmas tune" they get howled at by the crowd.

It doesn't stop the retailers playing christmas songs non-stop but nobody really likes it. I don't know anybody who does like christmas songs here. We still like the day off and the big feed and all that stuff but really the "festive" stuff seems so naff - fake snow when it's 37C is just silly. We go through the motions and I really don't know why. This isn't meant as a "bah humbug" but rather I think christmas works better in a cold climate. I guess that makes sense seeing as it's based on an ancient mid-winter solstice celebration.

Joel Paterson has a new Xmas album out and it sounds amazing.

Register Sign in to join the conversation