Miscellaneous Rumbles

Christmas music

So with the server crash the Christmas music thread seems to be gone. So, what's on your Christmas playlist, beyond the obligatory Setzer records? I've been digging the Big Bad Voodoo Daddy, Everything You Want For Christmas this year.

Chet Atkins' Christmas Album plus Setzer's, Spector's, Tommy Emmanuel's, Elvis's.

Please check out my Christmas song on the Gretsch Pages Radio called "I Want You For Christmas". I'm going to play it this Friday at my office Christmas party.

Gretsch Pages Radio

I like to listen to Elvis' Christmas songs to really get in the Christmas spirit.

I liked your song, Buddy. And you sang it well, also.

Can't get through the holidays without these:

Yes I started that thread & it was worth it to score "Seven Gates" by Ben Keith & friends, Thanks for the recommendation, whoever it was.

The Beach Boys Christmas Album is good too.

'I Was Thinking I Could Clean Up For Christmas', Aimee Mann.

It's a bit bleak, but someone else might like it too-

My three favourite Christmas pop/rock records never change.

Santa Claus Is Back In Town by Elvis.

Christmas Must Be Tonight by The Band

Christmas, Baby Please Come Home by Darlene Love. This is from the Phil Spector Christmas Album, but IMO the ultimate performance by Ms Love is on the Letterman Show. Every year for over 25 years, the Letterman house band was augmented to 'Spectoresque' proportions and Darlene performed this song, sometimes to a quite staggering standard. This is the live 2011 show. Great song, great band, great sound — and a terrific voice. If this doesn't get you in a festive mood then nothing will. Play loud and dig it.

This is always what kicks me into the mood. Ventures first, then Charlie Brown.

This is from the best Christmas CD EVER....from SHeDAISY called "Brand New Year":

Oh Toddfan, that's a great track. The vocals overlapping and trailing over each other- truly hocket in the pocket.

Bob, Charlie Brown is being reserved for puttin-up-the-tree detail. Fantastic.

And Dave, Darlene's still at the top o' the tree. Just wait til Didier gets a peek at her weave.

And one of my favorite Christmas songs that is taken from that album...

I can listen to many many versions of Little Drummer Boy and O Holy Night. But the latter is my favorite. Patti Smith sang it before the Pope last year. So moving that he invited her back this year.

And here's the incomparable Mahalia Jackson rendering:

Wish Tom Waits would record one.

And though it's not set to music, I read Milton's Nativity Ode every Christmas. And no, don't be confused, I'm still a big honking jewy Jew. But who can deny the profound poetry in the idea that all of humanity and history could be redeemed from despair through the birth of a single tine homeless infant in the dark depths of winter. Many of us have been blessed with the experience of greeting a newborn and witnessing the concentration of hope and the undeniable majesty of brand new life and unlimited promise.

Here are a few stanzas from Milton. They are all about music. And someone should put them to music. But I'm not the one for this task. Maybe Richard? Something finger-style and harp-like?

XI

At last surrounds their sight

A Globe of circular light,

That with long beams the shame-fac't night array'd,

The helmed Cherubim

And sworded Seraphim

Are seen in glittering ranks with wings displaid,

Harping in loud and solemn quire,

With unexpressive notes to Heav'ns new-born Heir.

XII

Such Musick (as 'tis said)

Before was never made,

But when of old the sons of morning sung,

While the Creator Great

His constellations set,

And the well-balanc't world on hinges hung,

And cast the dark foundations deep,

And bid the weltring waves their oozy channel keep.

XIII

Ring out ye Crystall sphears,

Once bless our human ears,

(If ye have power to touch our senses so)

And let your silver chime

Move in melodious time;

And let the Base of Heav'ns deep Organ blow,

And with your ninefold harmony

Make up full consort to th' Angelike symphony.

XIV

For if such holy Song

Enwrap our fancy long,

Time will run back, and fetch the age of gold,

And speckl'd vanity

Will sicken soon and die,

And leprous sin will melt from earthly mould,

And Hell itself will pass away,

And leave her dolorous mansions to the peering day.

XV

Yea Truth, and Justice then

Will down return to men,

Th' enameld Arras of the Rainbow wearing,

And Mercy set between,

Thron'd in Celestiall sheen,

With radiant feet the tissued clouds down stearing,

And Heav'n as at som festivall,

Will open wide the Gates of her high Palace Hall.

Here is one of my favorites...

Still looking for the Ventures Christmas album...

Still looking for the Ventures Christmas album...

– General_Lee

There's three of them here on Amazon, GL. Which one in particular are you looking for?

http://www.amazon.com/s/ref...

Thanks Hermitt. I didn't realize they had more than one. Now that I know the names of these albums I'll check with a couple of the bookstores and music stores in Winnipeg to see if I can order "The Ventures Christmas Album". I remember hearing them do "Sleigh Ride" on the radio years ago. Always loved that song. Seasons Greetings...

BTW, how is Piggy behaving these days?

Just listened to the samples of this record on iTunes. When was it recorded? 1990s? It sounds disgusting to my ears.

Do yourself a favour and chose the one Bob posted in #10. The Charlie Brown one is excellent, too. Good taste. ;)

Thanks Hermitt. I didn't realize they had more than one. Now that I know the names of these albums I'll check with a couple of the bookstores and music stores in Winnipeg to see if I can order "The Ventures Christmas Album". I remember hearing them do "Sleigh Ride" on the radio years ago. Always loved that song. Seasons Greetings...

BTW, how is Piggy behaving these days?

– General_Lee

piggy?

Register Sign in to join the conversation