Miscellaneous Rumbles

Chewing gum

I notice that there are players that chew gum while they're playing. I've seen lots of players do it. Some even sing and do it with the gum in their mouth. What are the benefits or are there any or did they just likely forget to spit it out before they got on stage?

Dave Grohl.

Probably just habit. There is some dental health benefit to chewing after eating.

I was told that it keeps the mouth moist, which is preferable for singing. Dentyne will keep your breath fresh after eating, and help if you can't floss.

I was born and raised in South Bend, IN, where Wrigley grows their mint. Some of the fields back onto my in laws property. The powerful smell at harvest time when they boiled the mint down was amazing.

I've always heard that one can always tell an American because they chew gum. The Penguins at school always got down on us for it.

Some believe that it also helps with the plosives as well as helping to keep the mouth moist. It does help.

As a kid who grew up chewing gum (sugar free 'cuz my dad was a dentist), I really don't like chewing gum. I don't like how people look as they chew it either. Now...get the hell off of my lawn.

Interesting. As a singer, it was drummed into my head Don't chew gum on stage....ever!

I used to make it a point to chew gum to even out the pre-gig jitters. I thought "if it worked for John Lennon, it'll work for me." But in the end, I concluded it was all in my head. That, and once I bit my tongue because of the gum. Doh! Decided it had to go.

personal favorites, but damn hard to find... Beeman's is probably my favorite, with Black Jack running a close 2nd place. Clove always made my mouth feel numb, but I liked the flavor anyway.

But then again I always loved Fruit Stripe as a kid.

Fruit stripe was always my # 1... followed closely by Teaberry (what was that flavor supposed to be anyway? ...tea?)

I am a habitual gum-chewer, so I have gum in my mouth constantly. I don't know if it helps with moistening my mouth for singing or not .

The thing is, you wouldn't know I even have gum in my mouth most of the time. Because of having grown up going to Catholic school, and being fined $1 if I had gum in my mouth, when I speak (or sing or facilitate /present), I automatically and totally unconsciously tuck my gum between my upper cheek and gum.

BTW: Wrigley's Doublemint is my gum of choice.

I used to make it a point to chew gum to even out the pre-gig jitters. I thought "if it worked for John Lennon, it'll work for me." But in the end, I concluded it was all in my head. That, and once I bit my tongue because of the gum. Doh! Decided it had to go.

– redrocker

Yea. I always saw Lennon's gum chewing as a rock and roll, bad boy attitude. As a 10 year old anti authoritarian, I related to the affectation.

I mentioned this in another thread awhile back about a Canadian gum that not only tastes like soap but brags about it right on the package......you can't make this up! Haven't had any since I was a little kid. Don't chew it for the first time right after you've eaten as you're likely to honk your guts out!!

Flavor right up there with Beemans's, Clove, and Black Jack. Those three are some of the oldest gum brands in the US. To be honest, I thought they stopped making them years ago.

I used to get a sore throat after gigs so I started the gum chewing. Bubble gum, too!

Flavor right up there with Beemans's, Clove, and Black Jack. Those three are some of the oldest gum brands in the US. To be honest, I thought they stopped making them years ago.

– wabash slim

All are still available from time to time. I used to buy them regularly at Cracker Barrel, but it seems that they have stopped carrying them recently-- it seems that the Adams gum products are currently out of production, that they only produce a run every couple of years. I still carry an unopened pack of Beeman's as a good luck charm in my flight jacket-- even though it no longer contains pepsin.

Good thoughts. Paul/Redrocker, I always thought that I would bite my tongue if I tried it during a show, as well.

I've discovered chewing gum does help with singing for me.

I think Jimi chewed gum habitually while playing. Almost every vid I've ever seen of him, he's cudding away while ripping faces .....

Register Sign in to join the conversation