Miscellaneous Rumbles

Car related; any Porsche enthusiasts?

I got my gauges working! The previous mechanic had one of the plugs mixed up. The three on the back of the cluster look identical. After reinstalling the pod and steering wheel I noticed I forgot to replace the burnt out dash illumination lights! At least one works so knowing have power going to it.

Look at all the delicate traces on the rear of the cluster. What a nightmare. I had to solder one small repair on a ribbon connected. Reminds me of working on guitar gear which is easier.

Pod and trim removed. I wish I would have had a dash kit in hand to replace the warped plastic cover that's on there now.

Needs some leather. I can feel and partially see the old leather cap underneath. I'm skidish to go tearing into it now.

Gauges back in and testing before installing the pod. I'm slowly but surely becoming a Porsche mechanic lol!

I was able to get the gauges and pod off without removing the wheel but it had to come off for it all to go back in. Took a couple of tries but patience paid off.

I've learned about dash lights and such the hard way. When one goes out, just replace them all because the others are just as old and will but out soon. The same logic applies to hoses and rubber bits in the suspension.

I've learned about dash lights and such the hard way. When one goes out, just replace them...

So have I. When one goes out, sell the car. It can't possibly be worth the contortions it takes to work on them. You could get stuck in some obscene position in the floorwell and have to be cut out.

My daily driver back n forth from the post office while I’m holding down a LLV route.

Paul, when I was stationed in Germany, you would see brand new Porsches parked at rest areas just off of the highway. they were filling out paperwork of their road "test" results. I was stationed just north of Stuttgart. this was from 1971-1974.

They're practical, too.

They're practical, too.

– wyowill

Will, need a pic of that new 6120 and Cowboy amp on the luggage rack.

Well, I did bring the 6120 home in it. :)

Paul, that 928 looks so cool.

Well, I did bring the 6120 home in it. :)

Paul, that 928 looks so cool.

– wyowill

Will, please adopt me! Lol

Register Sign in to join the conversation