Miscellaneous Rumbles

Car related; any Porsche enthusiasts?

I want a 928, am I crazy?

Nah not crazy. I kinda like them. I'm partial to the 911 though.

Nope, not crazy. I wanted one when they first came out and they still turn my head today. A friend traded his 944 for one and loved it to death, too. Said it was far more balanced (f-r) than the '44...

If you do get one, we want pics!

I once had a 911SC Targa that was a lot of fun. Had a backseat for the kids, too (they were small then).

But yes, the 928 is a great looking car.

BTW this was a zombie thread I brought back to life.

Not sure who originally started it.

A local fellow has three of them, two that are tagged. I was going to inquire, so to speak, but I know very little about these. But I'm learning.

Something like this

This would work too

The only problem, once you've owned and driven a Porsche for any appreciable amount of time, it's hard to go back to something else

Purists wouldn't consider the 928 a real Porsche because of the V8 : a real one should be a boxer (flat 4 or 6), but I guess it's a damn fine car anyway!

when I was in the Army, I was stationed just north of Stuttgart, Germany. we used to see Porsches being "road tested" all the time. they would be parked along side the road in a parking area writing up their reports. this would have been from 1971-1974.

I'd happily take a 356 if someone's giving them away.

My mom drove a 924 when I was a kid. I could have too when I was older, but my jackass older brother wrecked it. Not exactly a supercar, but I'd liked to have had the chance. To this day, I've never driven a sports car.

I haven't thought about them since I was a kid, but my distinct recollection was that the growups in my family (all of whom were car people) considered the 928 to be the real performance model.

Purists wouldn't consider the 928 a real Porsche because of the V8 : a real one should be a boxer (flat 4 or 6), but I guess it's a damn fine car anyway!

– Thomas

I guess the purists would claim this isn't a 'real' Porsche either. Nonsense.

If you haven't had a similar car, it's a whole new world of commitment. In its day, it was a high-end car for high-end people...they might be affordable to buy, but they're still expensive to own. But if it's just for fun and you still have an everyday beater...go for it! But, honey...it's a hatchback! It's sensible!!!!

Always loved the 906, I suppose if I were really wealthy I'd have one for selected track events.

I guess the purists would claim this isn't a 'real' Porsche either. Nonsense.

– Bonedaddy

Bonedaddy, sure! Purists are just that, and I'm certainly not one of them (one of my work partners is, though, that's where my insight comes from).
Still, the 928 is not the "must have" for Porsche enthusiasts this side of the pond. It was a departure from the usual 911, aimed mostly at the US, what with the V8 in front, and even automatic gearbox... Just did a search, and they go for around 20 to 30000 euros, when a same time 911 goes from 60 to 80000 euros....

Bonedaddy, sure! Purists are just that, and I'm certainly not one of them (one of my work partners is, though, that's where my insight comes from).
Still, the 928 is not the "must have" for Porsche enthusiasts this side of the pond. It was a departure from the usual 911, aimed mostly at the US, what with the V8 in front, and even automatic gearbox... Just did a search, and they go for around 20 to 30000 euros, when a same time 911 goes from 60 to 80000 euros....

– Thomas

Thomas, no, I know what you mean. There are plenty of them, those 'purists' out there. The 911 since the 996 chassis has been water cooled, so that's heresy. Not in my book though. I'm on my second 996 series 911 and I absolutely LOVE this car.

Get one with a manual gearbox. An automatic ruins the whole car.

Purists or traditionalists? When the first water cooled 911 came out, they also took away much of the traditional shape of the 911. Flattening the sexy curves. Since then, they have put some curves back. The new Cayman is the best looking current Porsche, IMO.

For a couple of years, there was a rusted out blue 914 in front of a gas station next to the apartment block my friend lived in.

I still dream about that car.

A 914 was one of the hardest cars to get into that I've ever seen. Basically they're a VW powered starter Porsche. At least they have a boxer engine

I always loved the 928S. Though it was the coolest car ever when I was a young teen. It started my love of the Porsche. I remember building the Revell models of these as well.

I owned a 1990 C2 Carrera for several years. Bought it used in 1998. Black with tan leather. Manual.

Regret selling so very much.

So many things about that car were just sublime. The odor of the leather. The smell of the air cooled motor starting. The list goes on.

God I loved that thing. Wished I had the forethought of just keeping it and buying a beater. Oh well. Just like guitar stories I guess.

You cant find an early 90's Carrera now for under 30K !! I cant believe how much they appreciated in value.

The air cooled Carrera's were the business.

The adoption of water cooling in the 911 sealed the collectibility of the air cooled 911 models. I saw a roadster model a few years back, pretty low miles and it was priced at 80K. Yikes. Sure, it's a limited edition and all that, but it was the air cooled engine that put it way up over the top.

My 911 is my daily driver. I don't baby it, by any margin. The water cooled engine just adds to the life of it. A lot of folks forget that when the 996 series 911 came out, it was the fastest, most powerful 911 ever made. But, it wasn't air cooled so....

A 914 was one of the hardest cars to get into that I've ever seen. Basically they're a VW powered starter Porsche. At least they have a boxer engine

– wabash slim

And they were mid-engined. I owned a green 914 for several years and liked the way it handled better than a 911. The tail end didn't tend to break loose as the 911 ones did.

I have a 959 ,its the closest i'll ever get to owning a Porsche.

Register Sign in to join the conversation